Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Here is the thing. In amatuer radio we have been using frequencies in this area for more than 60 years, and at a much, much higher RF watt levels. We have not experienced any problems. We take precautions of course but, you don't step in front of the antenna of a GHz range transmitter putting out 500 watts. But if you are really worried the Martians have the solution.

View attachment 2269958
Radio and smartphone is different use case. Smartphone is kept in pocket 0mm away from body. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Chuckeee

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
@Sami13496 you wont get much love here since Apple n1 revenue generator is dangerouse deadly devices;
recommend that you start reading the manual of your IOS device if you own one, and derive your own conclusions.

good info can be found over at https://www.microwavenews.com/ if you care to your health.

personally think that no manmade microwave emitter is safe to use, and as with most of us, it took me some to find out.
still using phone sparingly, since it is needed nowadays sometimes even for basic things like opening an account somewhere in the pampa. lets see how this progresses; people that say that those devices are safe to use are either illinformed, in bad faith, or downright stupid.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: canonical and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah there’s always someone smart*** who is ready to mock other point of view. Radio and smartphone is different use case. Smartphone is kept in pocket 0mm away from body. Time will tell.
How much more time. Cell phone es started to be deployed in the late 70s early 80s. 50 years is not enough? Guess we’ll wait till 100.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This isn't a safety concern. It's a minor discrepancy on a standard that is very, very conservative in favor of human safety. The standard is well over an order of magnitude below anything having a measurable health impact and then mitigated even further.

It is a legal concern though-- if a device is violating the limit it's out of compliance. Even if it's not dangerous, there has to be a declared limit somewhere and that limit needs to be enforced.

I'm French and French media told us that this issue applied only for iPhone 12. 12 mini, 12 Pro and 12 PM are not concerned by this issue. source: https://www.igen.fr/iphone/2023/09/...-linterdiction-de-liphone-12-en-france-139299

Moreover the emission was fine at launch for EU standard (<4W/kg) but when ANFR did again the test 3 years later, the emission measure was increased to 5.7W/kg. According to many experts, you need to reach 40W/kg before having realistic health risk.

Granted, I'm reading a translation, but what I get in English isn't that they tested on release but that Apple self reported on release and they are now testing again and finding a discrepancy. There's no suggestion that Apple falsely reported.

"the data is initially provided by manufacturers, who must obviously comply with the standard."​

As you say, this is far from dangerous. 1.6dB can just as easily be a methodology difference, unit to unit variation, manufacturing differences from their component suppliers or something else. A software change isn't likely because it would require Apple to retest and resubmit in most jurisdictions unless they thought their change was neutral and it turned out not to be.

One thing we've learned over the decades is that government safety thresholds are typically set too high — often due to lobbying by corporate interests — and, over time, as scientists discover that there are cancerous effects at even lower levels, the thresholds are reduced.

You'll need to give an example of this as pertains to RF. I can't think of one. Given that we've been working with radios for over a century now, I think they've had time. These phenomena are fairly well understood. The last time I looked at this in depth, the standards were written in 2005, they were revised again in 2019 but the changes were mostly an effort to harmonize standards. There weren't any substantive changes to the permitted levels.

1. The report is from 2014! It's nearly a decade old—quite outdated.

Has the nature of electromagnetics or human physiology changed in the last decade? The latest standards revision I'm finding is 2019. Maxwell laid the foundation of electromagnetics 150 years ago this year (an anniversary that deserves more recognition, I feel). Marconi was doing his work 130 years ago. Westinghouse was demonstrating microwave cooking 90 years ago.

Everything else you're saying is mostly that nobody has proven to your satisfactionthere isn't a problem-- as long as someone, anyone, hedges that there might possibly be an undiscovered link you seem convinced there is. That's not a sound foundation for regulation.

6. In the U.S., it's not the FDA that sets the radiation levels or limits but the incredibly politicized FCC.
In 2020, the FDA reported favorably yet with the usual hedges:

“To date, there is no consistent or credible scientific evidence of health problems caused by the exposure to radio frequency energy emitted by cell phones (see Review of Published Literature between 2008 and 2018 of Relevance to Radiofrequency Radiation and Cancer)”
That, too, however, is based on outdated research — 2008-2018.

So the FCC is political and the FDA is hedged and 2020 conclusions are out of date... I think you're suffering from an overly strong prior leaving you unable to synthesize new information.

It's worth linking to this again given how little response it received:

So sticking a weight to it will make it pass regulation? What stupid requirement? It produces the same amount of radiation as the other phone, the issue is that it's lighter, so its Watt/Weight ratio is off. This is why governments shouldn't create tech requirements.

The kilograms here are kilograms of human flesh. The more mass there is, the slower it heats up and heating is the concern here. Put a bigger steak in the same microwave oven and it takes longer go cook.

This is pseudoscience.

What, exactly, is the harmful effect of radio waves from a mobile device? Name a disease this causes. And how do they determine a "safe" threshold?

It’s not pseudoscience, it’s regular science. The problem is heating of tissues, particularly the eyes and testes where blood flow is limited. You probably wouldn’t put your head in a microwave oven, so you know there’s a safety threshold somewhere. The question is where. The document I link above gives the rationale for the thresholds they use in Annex B.

Why? Every credible scientist (infusing the WHO) says that cell phone emissions are not ionizing and pose zero additional risk compared to normal background radiation.
I don't understand what the AMFR is trying to accomplish here but public health/safety isn't it.
No, the reason everyone says there is no problem with mobile phone radiation is because its wavelength is not short enough for photons to have enough energy to ionize biological tissues, regardless of power output.

People need to get over this ionizing/non-ionizing thing. Most skin cancers happen because of non-ionizing radiation (not from radio waves, but non-ionizing bands of sunlight). In the case of RF, the concern is dielectric heating similar to what a microwave does.

🫡 Exactly. Now prepare to be ignored or told the facts are wrong.
Their facts are wrong.

So using this a normal amount is still probably better than being on a lower power phone for an excessive amount of time.
I completely agree with your main point, but a few things I’d question.

The body has the ability to dissipate a certain amount of power so there is a difference between high power for a short time if the power is more than your body can dissipate through blood flow, and low power where your body can self regulate. It’s like a pool with a hole in it— as long as you don’t fill it faster than it drains out the water won’t rise. Sitting in front of a match for hours won’t warm you as much as sitting in front of a camp fire for 10min.

This is different than with something like ionizing radiation where half the power for twice as long has the same probability of a high energy photon slicing through your DNA.

they die off roughly with the square of the distance (partly dependant on antenna directionality/gain)
It dies off with the square of distance regardless of gain, the gain is just a multiplier up front. It does depend on environment though— it assumes free space, so no reflectors or waveguides in the far field.

But in this case we’re not talking about far fields, we’re typically talking about near fields which are much, much stronger than the radiated power and also fall off at much higher gradients (~5th power of distance).

if you really are that worried, you can always make a tinfoil hat
Sure, but if you're texting wouldn’t that act as a parabolic reflector focusing all that power onto a small part of your brain lobotomizing the wearer? Ah, wait, I see your point now…

This seems a vastly more important issue than removing leather from your product line, or using recycled copper as opposed to non-recycled copper (copper is copper).
But mining and refining copper consumes enormous amounts of energy and chemicals. Recycling uses less of each. And before you go into there being limited copper in the world, remember it’s not all in circulation yet and unrecycled copper essentially gets put back in the ground.

France says the radiation exceeds safe levels. Do you have evidence to contradict that?
France says the radiation exceeds the regulated level— that’s not exactly the same thing.

I think we need to stop using the term “radiation” because people can’t tell the difference between radioactivity and EM fields.
You don’t stop using words because people don’t understand them. I don’t expect France to stop speaking French just because I don’t understand it…

Last edited:

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
How much more time. Cell phone es started to be deployed in the late 70s early 80s. 50 years is not enough? Guess we’ll wait till 100.
Masses started using them in the late 90’s early 2000s. From 70-90’s when few businessmen used is not enough sample. So I’d say we have 20 max 30 years of data. 15 years with smartphones. I don’t think thats enough for determine long time effects.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Masses started using them in the late 90’s early 2000s. From 70-90’s when few businessmen used is not enough sample. So I’d say we have 20 max 30 years of data. 15 years with smartphones. I don’t think thats enough for determine long time effects.
There is a population going back many years that could be studied. (And that is when cell signals were analog and pushed more power through the antenna) If there was some correlation to health after all this time there would be more than studies which contradict one another.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
There is a population going back many years that could be studied. (And that is when cell signals were analog and pushed more power through the antenna) If there was some correlation to health after all this time there would be more than studies which contradict one another.
Those studies have been done and found no correlation but the fears still come up.

Reactions: I7guy and Chuckeee

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
oldie but goldie

translated into english

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
oldie but goldie

translated into english

You're basing your world view on uncontrolled, unscientific experiments done by 9th graders on cress seeds...

Why is it that when people doubt the scientific consensus, the references they provide always have nuggets like this in there:

"Professor Johansson and his Belgian colleague Professor Marie-Claire Cammaert will now repeat the experiment under controlled, scientific conditions"​

I'm guessing if Prof. Johansson's experiments reproduced the results, we wouldn't still be seeing links to a decade old science fair project.

Their hypothesis, by the way? Teenagers can't concentrate in school because of Wifi exposure.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
got the idea?

Yeah, I've got the idea that I'm debating with someone who will disregard the careful analytical work of thousands but take the unsupported ravings of a few fringe characters as gospel.

You're free to make your own decisions about how to use technology, but the more evidence you share the more confident I am that I don't need to follow your lead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.