Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Do your homework before saying this BS on such a controversial topic.
At launch the emission was under 4W/kg, it was increased over time to reach now 5.7W/kg via software updates. This is why it was spotted 3 years later. ANFR is a serious institution in France, you simply can't sell the phone here as a big manufacturer if they did not check your emissions before launch. Apple is no exception.

Indeed, in every cell phone the actual used power (EIRP) is steered by the cell tower with limits set by the phone software. But I have to say in my experience when I was in France the last couple of years, almost all phone network operators have questionable coverage. In large cities and towns it's usually just fine, but elsewhere the coverage can be very bad. Even on the highways / tollways. Barely 3G or just nothing (as you know 2G is turned off by most operators) with almost any phone. In these areas any phone will easily transmit at the maximum power. My guess is that Apple tried to compensate the bad connection by turning up the power a bit. Or it could be a plain mistake in a table.

Within the EU most countries have mostly the same RF regulations, France being one of the strictest. Limits like 2 or 4 Watts depending on frequency and geographical area. I know that some countries in the world allow higher RF power in some areas. If I'm not mistaken, some US states allow higher transmission power in very low populated areas.

Fortunately as technology progresses, there's less power needed for a mobile connection than years ago. I worry much more about people operating microwave ovens constantly.

Let's just look at the basics:
in a 1,000W microwave oven the radio waves penetrate the food about ½"(1.4cm). (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/mwoven.html)
An average cellphone at full power puts out .6W (600mw) and could, at best, penetrate the body by a few cells of the epidermis. The signal never gets to the dermis, bone or organs where people claim all the damage is happening
Actually, one could do much more damage by just sunbathing. And all those people that lived near an antenna array for television and radio stations. Those usually can pump 100kW to 10MW at an more even rate than a mobile phone. We could light those old fluorescent tubes without any wires near those arrays - of course that made the operators of those stations not very happy ;)

Last edited:

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Like all scientific studies it should be peer-reviewed before it’s given any credibility. If the French Government is that confident in its findings then it shouldn’t be an issue.
Am scientist. Peer review is a game, like everything else, and credibility of research isn’t determined by the peer review process. Peer review helps, sure, but plenty of research is credible and excellent quality before it even gets peer reviewed.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
These models emit the most radiation:

• Motorola Edge – 1.79
  • OnePlus 6T – 1.55
  • Sony Xperia XA2 Plus – 1.41
  • Google Pixel 3 XL – 1.39
  • Google Pixel 4a – 1.37
  • Oppo Reno5 5G – 1.37
  • Google Pixel 3 – 1.33
  • Huawei P Smart – 1.27
  • OnePlus 9 – 1.26

Own a Galaxy Note? Congrats​

And these phones emit the least radiation:

• Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G – 0.19 watts
  • Samsung Galaxy Note10 – 0.21
  • Samsung Galaxy A80 – 0.22
  • LG G7 ThinQ – 0.24
  • Motorola Razr 5G – 0.27

What about the iPhone?​

You guessed it: It falls somewhere in the middle.

• iPhone SE (2020 version) – 0.98
  • iPhone 11 – 0.95
  • iPhone 12 – 0.98
  • iPhone 13 – 0.99
  • iPhone 14 – 0.98

Reactions: Tagbert

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
A ridiculous stance by Apple to lower the radiation levels in France ... and leave everyone else exposed to the same problem. Clearly, the solution is to reduce the radiation levels back to the original spec everywhere. This is going to balloon out of control, just like the VW Gold scandal, spreading from one jurisdiction to the next, until Apple will have to cave in, and fix the problem everywhere.

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Thanks - that is really interesting.
It appears that the lowest radiation emitting iPhone that Apple has made is the original iPhone SE (2016) with a SAR of 0.78 ... about 20% less radiation than most other iPhones.

Smaller really is better. I sure hope that BIG MAMMA Mother Nature lady comes in and checks the Apple iPhones for their radiation levels at their next fake Board meeting, instead of worrying about where they buy their plastic bags from.

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 2.47.05 am.jpg

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reactions: Chuckeee

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Even more interestingly, if Apple can turn down the radiation level via software update, why not allow USERS to do the same thing from the SETTINGS tab? At the moment, the only option to reduce radiation levels is to turn on AIRPLANE mode.

Apple also has the incredibly irritating practise of turning BLUETOOTH ON and WIFI ON, even if you have switched them off, after installing OS updates (even the minor ones). That is totally disrespectful to their users, to forcefully override their users own settings.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Is this just the base model iPhone 12 or the 12 Pro as well? Article says iphone 12 but it includes pictures of 12 pro.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I have so many questions... why didnt this lab test the 3 year old phone sooner?

where is the actual test data and report?

12 base model or pro/mini/max too?

they are ordering Apple to stop selling a phone they no longer sell. What?

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
No-one is denying France said that. We're saying they're ******* crazy for saying it

The evidence debunking the claim is overwhelming and I'll post just two of them here:

Those two pages represent the findings of two MAJOR health institutions and thousands of scientists, doctors and medical experts.
The evidence that cellular/wifi emissions are harmful boils down to a few crackpots saying so and others jumping on the bandwagon.

Let's just look at the basics:
in a 1,000W microwave oven the radio waves penetrate the food about ½"(1.4cm). (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/mwoven.html)
An average cellphone at full power puts out .6W (600mw) and could, at best, penetrate the body by a few cells of the epidermis. The signal never gets to the dermis, bone or organs where people claim all the damage is happening
Those articles don't address the claim, which is that iPhone 12 was creating more than safe levels of radiation

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
Even more interestingly, if Apple can turn down the radiation level via software update, why not allow USERS to do the same thing from the SETTINGS tab? At the moment, the only option to reduce radiation levels is to turn on AIRPLANE mode.

Apple also has the incredibly irritating practise of turning BLUETOOTH ON and WIFI ON, even if you have switched them off, after installing OS updates (even the minor ones). That is totally disrespectful to their users, to forcefully override their users own settings.

even with airplane mode on, some devices still emit dangerous levels of RF-Frequency, pulsating all the while.
have seen such a behaviour even a modern Ereader; the company still says, the device is perfectly safe since within limits;
but if i turn Wi-Fi off on the device, want it effectively "silent", but on some devices it simply seems impssible to achieve it; like they want to know real-time what one is reading.
so, wonder what is possibly possible with a software-update for the IOS; not very much i suppose, but it may weaken the emitters effective output.
best thing for an iphone is to hide it away in a closet, but even then it might be listening (long after battery is gone).

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Apple says will issue software update to iPhone12 in France

As I said... its all software. The software will simply get adjusted maximum levels that comply with local regulations, as it always has been with all digital phones. Apple rolls out a quick and silent update on the modem codes within couple of days.

And anyone still concerned should either not use a mobile phone at all or switch the phone to Wifi calling whenever possible. Wifi has in normal circumstances an EIRP of around 100mW (lower RF bands) to 200mW (higher RF bands). And like cellular, wifi also has a dynamic transmission power. So its power can be lower too depending on the distance between device and AP.

No. The claim is that the iPhone 12 exceeds the EU-norm, not that it exceeds save levels of radation.
Indeed. There's still debate between experts of what level is safe. The modulation (2/3/4/5/6G) and frequency band all are subject in the research too.

Last edited:
Reactions: addamas

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Can somebody please clarify. Does this pose risk when just holding the phone like texting and browsing, or only when making calls, like holding it next to your head?

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
I think it’s a reasonable approach, that if we don’t know the effects, more research is needed and better to be careful. I like how they do it in France. I think the opposite approach like “if there’s no proof it’s harmful we can use it without worries”. It’s only been decade of serious smartphone use and only few years serious wireless headphone use. I say until proven safe all these devices are not safe.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chuckeee

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I think it’s a reasonable approach, that if we don’t know the effects, more research is needed and better to be careful. I like how they do it in France. I think the opposite approach like “if there’s no proof it’s harmful we can use it without worries”. It’s only been decade of serious smartphone use and only few years serious wireless headphone use. I say until proven safe all these devices are not safe.
Here is the thing. In amatuer radio we have been using frequencies in this area for more than 60 years, and at a much, much higher RF watt levels. We have not experienced any problems. We take precautions of course but, you don't step in front of the antenna of a GHz range transmitter putting out 500 watts. But if you are really worried the Martians have the solution.

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 18.37.58.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.