Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
The promotion runs until Dec. 31.

A great deal if you get one of the lower-end PowerMacs. InDesign 2.0 goes for $700 retail.

Do you think Steve is trying to light a fire under Quark's belly?

"Do OS X or die!"

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I also think steve, and the apple braintrust is able to see things in terms of "the future" than most others.

Face it. It's time the design industry stop being *****-footed troglodytes and realize that, yes, indeed, ID combined with OS X on a new PowerMac will increase your productivity.

And it's similar enough to Quark that one could EASILY adapt. Hell, I did it after using Quark for almost 6 years.

Now? I'm all for Quark dying a quick, albeit painful death.

Here's to apple "thinking different!"

Here here ID2!

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
it's also a very compelling reason for those who haven't seen the ID light.

That said, this might have a lot to do with Adobe....

Now, apple could take a lesson from Adobe and figure out a way to offer Office V.X with the machines.

Strike a deal with MS to buy, who knows, 10k lisences of Office. And then run a switch ad (janie? are you there? Save Xmas for me!) that tacks on a "buy a powermac from the apple store between now and x.x.02 and receive a free copy of MS Office.

maybe Make it a switcher thing-- if you switch, free office.

Watch the macs fly off the shelves.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I also think steve, and the apple braintrust is able to see things in terms of "the future" than most others.

Face it. It's time the design industry stop being *****-footed troglodytes and realize that, yes, indeed, ID combined with OS X on a new PowerMac will increase your productivity.

And it's similar enough to Quark that one could EASILY adapt. Hell, I did it after using Quark for almost 6 years.

Now? I'm all for Quark dying a quick, albeit painful death.

Here's to apple "thinking different!"

Here here ID2!

Totally..... I used Quark for years before I got my mitts on Indesign...... Quark is just so early 90's...... :p :p

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by iGAV

Totally..... I used Quark for years before I got my mitts on Indesign...... Quark is just so early 90's...... :p :p

Exactly. Although there are some things i like from the early nineties (slowdive. my bloody valentine. lush) there things I hate, namely Quark, which feels like it was designed in the lates 70s

All i have to say is logo in Illustrator copy and paste to ID no need for eps files anymo!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002

Exactly. Although there are some things i like from the early nineties (slowdive. my bloody valentine. lush) there things I hate, namely Quark, which feels like it was designed in the lates 70s

All i have to say is logo in Illustrator copy and paste to ID no need for eps files anymo!

Ahh yeah.... the early 90's was a particularly fine vintage for some things...... (like St Etienne, Ride, Belly etc :D ) but Quark certainly isn't one of them....... heh heh!!

Certainly the whole cut and paste thing in Indesign is much more intuitive, Quark really is clunky in comparison..... :)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA

Ahh yeah.... the early 90's was a particularly fine vintage for some things...... (like St Etienne, Ride, Belly etc :D ) but Quark certainly isn't one of them....... heh heh!!

Certainly the whole cut and paste thing in Indesign is much more intuitive, Quark really is clunky in comparison..... :)

Ah! Ride. Vapour Trail was an early nineties highlight. :D

I feel you on Quark. I do some work for an ad agency as a freelancer and they swear by Qaurk. So I have it in my machine (again. i keep trying to delete it)

It feels soooooooooo clunky. Like driving a low end car.

Though those guys are thinking of switiching to ID soon. hope they do-- and this might be the spur.

Think that maybe Quarks "OSX version by Xmas" plan is down the tubes, hence this giveaway coupled with the impending "no boot into 9" thing??

loveshismac

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2001
Dallas
O man I hate Quark
they must have gotten their interface design team from IBM's lotus notes.
Plus 5 years before a major update and it still looks like the early 90's.

I was formely trained for Quark, and since their was no compition until now, what else did u use?

Once i used ID2, man it was like heaven. It imports quark files, works seamless with Photoshop and Illustrator, and has transparency, etc....

I mean no more psd files tiff files and eps's.

Just one psd, one illustrator file.

Absolutly love it

heers to the slow agonizing death of Quark

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Hey didn't the whole grunge thing happen in the early 90s?

Quark has had one of the least intuitive user interfaces in the history of Mac apps, along with FormZ and a few others.

Yes, when it first came out, it was a godsend, especially compared to Pagemaker. But it's been a decade since. Times change. Unfortunately Quark hasn't.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by loveshismac
O man I hate Quark
they must have gotten their interface design team from IBM's lotus notes.
Plus 5 years before a major update and it still looks like the early 90's.

I was formely trained for Quark, and since their was no compition until now, what else did u use?

Once i used ID2, man it was like heaven. It imports quark files, works seamless with Photoshop and Illustrator, and has transparency, etc....

I mean no more psd files tiff files and eps's.

Just one psd, one illustrator file.

Absolutly love it

heers to the slow agonizing death of Quark

and it fits seemlessly with OSX's pdf integration, and as such, makes a PDF workflow a snap. I've submitted press-quality ads frmo ID at least 5 times this week, with no problems

It's great. And I control what they look like.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Ahh yeah.... the early 90's was a particularly fine vintage for some things...... (like St Etienne, Ride, Belly etc.

Belly... cool. When my friend's Mom got an iMac (after a lot of convincing, she's very happy BTW), it came with a bunch of MP3s. One of them was Bellys "Feed the Tree". Nice.

Anyway, yeah Quark sux. I like InDesign, but I'm still using 1.5. Still kicks Quarks ***. Can't wait for ID 2.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by solvs

Belly... cool. When my friend's Mom got an iMac (after a lot of convincing, she's very happy BTW), it came with a bunch of MP3s. One of them was Bellys "Feed the Tree". Nice.

Anyway, yeah Quark sux. I like InDesign, but I'm still using 1.5. Still kicks Quarks ***. Can't wait for ID 2.

I think ID 1.5 was a very sufficient program. 1.0 obviously was a bit green. but 1.5 and 1.52 really corrected alot of problems.

It's amazing how mature 2.0, and how mature ID is on the whole, when you consider it hasn't been out for that long.

I really think some hacker at Adobe has a mail forwarding system working, taking all of the customer suggestions from Quark and sending it to Adobe HQ.

Hence ID. Obviously Quark wasn't, hasn't and will never listen.

Cheers to a slow and painful death for Quark!

I got to see Belly for free here in 1994, and was right up in front of Tanya Donnelly. Darn is she hot!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA

I think ID 1.5 was a very sufficient program. 1.0 obviously was a bit green. but 1.5 and 1.52 really corrected alot of problems.

It's amazing how mature 2.0, and how mature ID is on the whole, when you consider it hasn't been out for that long.

I really think some hacker at Adobe has a mail forwarding system working, taking all of the customer suggestions from Quark and sending it to Adobe HQ.

Hence ID. Obviously Quark wasn't, hasn't and will never listen.

Cheers to a slow and painful death for Quark!

I got to see Belly for free here in 1994, and was right up in front of Tanya Donnelly. Darn is she hot!

I envy you.

I was going to go see Julianna Hatfield, but something happened and I wound up not going. They did a Kick*** remake of the "Josie and the PussyCats" theme song together.

Oh yeah, Quark still sux.

Attachments

• wtc.jpg
    wtc.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,177

creativeczar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2002
Give free copies to printers

I used to use Quark (five years) and then switched to InDesign two years ago. I have never looked back. Does anyone know a designer or art director who went back to Quark? Price and printers are the only two stumbling blocks. Apple knocked down one, now we need to give free copies to printers so they can find out what we've known for years.:)

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by ericb88
If i buy a powermac from like macmall or something do i get indesign?

From the mail-in coupon:

Apple products must be purchased from an Apple retail facility or a participating authorized Apple reseller located in the
50 United States or District of Columbia.•QUALIFYING PRODUCTS:All Apple Power Mac G4 computers.•This offer is not valid with the purchase of used,refurbished,or demonstration equipment.

So as long as they are a participating reseller, it should work. You just have to follow the instructions and wait 6-8 weeks...:rolleyes:

mdurg

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2002
Upstate NY
this is good news and bad news. the good news is obvious... The bad news is that I got my new G4 yesterday. Off to the Apple site to see if I qualify...

PretendPCuser

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Northern, NJ
Quark = Feed the Tree

Quark is in the belly of the beast. I haven't used ID (Yet) but i do have to say, Quark does seem a little long in the tooth, on it's last legs for years. Now to scrounge up all the loose change to see if i can sport a new G4...

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
heh heh i have a differant name for this its called:
SELL IT ON EBAY AND GET A NICE REBATE ON MY NEW G4!!!! :D :D :D

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
You know it looks like that potentially my office could buy an older g4 that's still new in the box (like say a dual 800 or a 933) and get the free ID too as long as I got it from an official apple reseller, no?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by solvs

I envy you.

I was going to go see Julianna Hatfield, but something happened and I wound up not going. They did a Kick*** remake of the "Josie and the PussyCats" theme song together.

Juliana Hatfield totally rules live..... I saw the Juliana Hatfield Three support Teenage Fanclub in the early 90's...... i'm still waiting for her to come touring again over to these shores........ It's unlikely she will though, because she doesn't sell records over here, and thus it just isn't viable to tour.....

Tanya Donelly is also a highly underated artist........ she's quite the fox as well...... Belly were just so good live though...... I really miss that kind of bubblegum power pop that they used to knock out...... great vibe live......

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Give free copies to printers

Originally posted by creativeczar
I used to use Quark (five years) and then switched to InDesign two years ago. I have never looked back. Does anyone know a designer or art director who went back to Quark? Price and printers are the only two stumbling blocks. Apple knocked down one, now we need to give free copies to printers so they can find out what we've known for years.:)

Good point.... everyone I know that has dropped Quark for Indesign has never even spoken of Quark again......:p

The problem seems to be a certain subset of designers and editors that refuse to even consider dropping Quark, mainly because of the shortcuts, and knowing Quark inside out...... (it probably took them 6 years to learn it as well.... heh heh) they're quite happy to continue using it, and see no need to change, even though Indesign would improve their productivity and arguably their creativity 2 fold..... they just seem unwilling to do that.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.