Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by Moxiemike

Face it. It's time the design industry stop being *****-footed troglodytes and realize that, yes, indeed, ID combined with OS X on a new PowerMac will increase your productivity.

Merely keep in mind some of the basis for the *****-footed troglodysm. Direct to press rips in the seven figure range (burning postscript directly to a printing presses plates ain't the same as buying a new inkjet) , image setters in the six figure range, archives of editorial and advertising material that need the old system, and a workflow dependant on custom plug-ins that may not be able to be rewritten for several reasons in todays economic climate. It's easy to rebut that some of the above will not be directly affected, but every bump in the status quo creates a ripple that might grow out of hand.

InDesign by itself cannot solve all of these problems, merely because it is OS X compatible.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Wry Cooter

Merely keep in mind some of the basis for the *****-footed troglodysm. Direct to press rips in the seven figure range (burning postscript directly to a printing presses plates ain't the same as buying a new inkjet) , image setters in the six figure range, archives of editorial and advertising material that need the old system, and a workflow dependant on custom plug-ins that may not be able to be rewritten for several reasons in todays economic climate. It's easy to rebut that some of the above will not be directly affected, but every bump in the status quo creates a ripple that might grow out of hand.

InDesign by itself cannot solve all of these problems, merely because it is OS X compatible.

ever heard of PDF workflow? I don't understand where you can get off making dangerous statements that seems to inexplicably link Quark to the d-2-p presses and imagesetters.

Archives of editorial/ad material? ID does a DAMN good conversion. 98% on complex documents, simple docs, 100%.

I converted a 40+ page catalgoue from a Quark file to ID, did all the redesigning, floated in new pics, made some new graphic work and didn't need a gajillion EPS files, produced one high-res PDF file, and emailed it to my printer. It worked flawlessly. They can then take the PDF and make their press sheet from it. Do their little offset printer thing. And yes, I send these to people who use new direct-to-plate machines, old school offset machines, 2 color, 4 color, 6 color and 10 color presses AND even a good ol' color copier.

Have never had a postscript problem with ID, baby. Quark? Seems to crash their machines thrice daily.

On the plug-in issue, let's face it. Quark should have 99% of the functionality that you have to pruchase via plug-ins. I mean, come on! $700 for a program, then you have to shell out cash to make the f*ckin' pasteboard bigger????

Or god forbid you typeset in, say, german. You then have to pay $1499 or whatever for Quark Passport. ID? Has ALL the functionality one could need built right in (i.e. no plugins), works seemlessly with a PDF workflow, making it supremely compatible, has international dictionaries (for those big-time print jobs that I often get where I have to typeset in german, spanish, italian, etc. This opposed to the ink-jet ones you seem to think i work on) , and costs about $700 less, after buying plug-ins to match ID for fucntionality and the "passport" version of Quark.

Oh. But i can fo html in Quark. That's such a useful feature of 5. I'm pissed I wasted my cash on Dreamweaver.....

dschlow

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
UGH!

I just got my Dual gig last week. What a buzz kill. I would have waited had I known they were offering ID2. Anyone know if they'll honor it?

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: UGH!

Originally posted by dschlow
I just got my Dual gig last week. What a buzz kill. I would have waited had I known they were offering ID2. Anyone know if they'll honor it?

they might. when i bought my dual gig, a few days later they announced the 300 dollar rebate.

I got compusa to reissue my receipt and blammo, 300 smackers richer. (or 2700 poorer as opposed to 3000 but i digress)

Did you buy from chumpusa or a reseller? or direct through apple? I'm sure they'll probably be cool, if you stink it up enough

m

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I'm surprised that no one has put forward a guess about the meaning of this. We have Jobs saying that new PowerMacs after Jan 1 will not support booting into MacOS 9 anymore, and now we have an offer that really amounts to on the order of $700 off all current PowerMacs that ends on Dec 31. This seems to me to be (possibly) adding up to a new crop of PowerMacs coming as of the first of the year.

But, then, what do I know? ;)

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Snowy_River
I'm surprised that no one has put forward a guess about the meaning of this. We have Jobs saying that new PowerMacs after Jan 1 will not support booting into MacOS 9 anymore, and now we have an offer that really amounts to on the order of $700 off all current PowerMacs that ends on Dec 31. This seems to me to be (possibly) adding up to a new crop of PowerMacs coming as of the first of the year.

LOL,Well i call your rumor and raise you the rumor on the front page that says no G5 till late 2003. So which is it... ;)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA

My guess is that Quark won't be ready and Jobs and Adobe have struck a deal promotind the best, most extensible, and advanced (not to mention osx native) page layout app out there.

You know? I can see it now: Apple's Left 9 behind. So have we. But what about Quark? Buy Adobe InDesign.....

You know?? It's an evolutionary thing. and no, there won't be any new pmacs until feb at least

dschlow

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Back to what Wry Crooter was saying...Another problem with switching to indesign, other than printing, is work flow. Part of the reason why so many people in publishing (at least in magazines) are still using Quark is because of QPS and Copy desk. Until Adobe comes up with something that's as realiable (ha) as the system quark has there'll be no mass movement to switch. In fact the co. that I'm working for now, was a test subject. One which failed. Most large publishers would love to make the transition to indesign as Adobe offers site licensing, where Quark doesn't. To sum up Indesign is great if your designing at home or have a small staff. It's the better program. But if your trying to produce say a magazine, chances are you won't be using Indesign anytime soon

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Back to what Wry Crooter was saying...Another problem with switching to indesign, other than printing, is work flow. Part of the reason why so many people in publishing (at least in magazines) are still using Quark is because of QPS and Copy desk. Until Adobe comes up with something that's as realiable (ha) as the system quark has there'll be no mass movement to switch. In fact the co. that I'm working for now, was a test subject. One which failed. Most large publishers would love to make the transition to indesign as Adobe offers site licensing, where Quark doesn't. To sum up Indesign is great if your designing at home or have a small staff. It's the better program. But if your trying to produce say a magazine, chances are you won't be using Indesign anytime soon

Now sure, there might be workflow issues with magazine and large publishing but there is NO problem whatsoever with printing at commerical presses.

I don't know where this myth has arrived from, but it's just not true. I'm in po-dunky pittsburgh, pa and man, everyone has ID, most print shops have "ID Files accepted here"

dschlow

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by Moxiemike

Now sure, there might be workflow issues with magazine and large publishing but there is NO problem whatsoever with printing at commerical presses.

I don't know where this myth has arrived from, but it's just not true. I'm in po-dunky pittsburgh, pa and man, everyone has ID, most print shops have "ID Files accepted here"

What Qps/copy desk allows you to do is have the editors write in a seperate program (copy desk) so they don't f-up your nice layouts. The two work together, i.e. the writers work in copy desk and the text appears in your quark layout. Without them ever having access to move shapes/objects around. The process really speeds things up, as you can work on the layout while they're writing. It's not a matter of being able to accept files or not.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA

What Qps/copy desk allows you to do is have the editors write in a seperate program (copy desk) so they don't f-up your nice layouts. The two work together, i.e. the writers work in copy desk and the text appears in your quark layout. Without them ever having access to move shapes/objects around. The process really speeds things up, as you can work on the layout while they're writing. It's not a matter of being able to accept files or not.

I know how workflow works. I was saying that there's this myth about printing problems with ID that i've never experienced.

And i'm done probably 75 jobs in ID this year.

never a problem.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
I'm surprised that no one has put forward a guess about the meaning of this.

Actually, I think the following has been touched upon several times in this thread. It is rather obviously implicit.

We have Jobs saying that new PowerMacs after Jan 1 will not support booting into MacOS 9 anymore, and now we have an offer that really amounts to on the order of $700 off all current PowerMacs that ends on Dec 31. This seems to me to be (possibly) adding up to a new crop of PowerMacs coming as of the first of the year.

Or it could mean very well that they know one of the only demographics that would or should be buying the present pro machines they have sitting in their warehouses are all waiting for the real upgrade, and this is about the only incentive they have to offer to get anyone to bite- telling them that if you need a dual boot machine, you better buy now, or if you need a 700 buck program you were going to buy but have not yet, you better buy now.

You could help them clear their warehouses out of some Cinema Displays as well. There might be a cheaper one once those are gone, but you need one NOW right? Five Hundred Buck rebate if you buy NOW. Anyone need a Maya/Shake bundle?

It's courtesy of Adobe as well, of course. They realize a lot of people are still waiting for Quark to switch to OS X. They haven't exactly been sitting on their thumbs waiting for people to buy InDesign-- the first version out the door disappointed enough that they have not looked again, and adobe has been practically giving away every update since. I remember at least two months of being bopped in the face with an inDesign pop-up ad offering very enticing terms. As good as it is, do you still think the urge to switch to ID will be nearly as strong once Quark is OS X ready?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.