Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Earlier today, on macrumors.com/iphone, I saw a new App under "new Apps" for a television guide. So, I went to the App store in iTunes and searched for "tv guide" and several Apps came up - and all cost money. BUT, in the comments section on one of the Apps, someone referred us to a free tv guide, designed specifically for the iPhone. ON YOUR IPHONE, go to iphone.television.aol.com, and you will find an EXCELLENT television guide, designed specifically for the iPhone. Just save the webpage link into your favorites or onto your Home screen. :)

Check out the icon that it adds to your Home Screen for you:

Attachments

• screenshot_16.JPG
    screenshot_16.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 131

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Or for those in the UK:

http://uktv.touchapp.net

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

odelay said:

Or for those in the UK:

http://uktv.touchapp.net

cheers, saved me a few pennies

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Well, I know this is a web-only/non-app thread, but the Aussies have the IceTV guide, which is basically the best EPG/remote PVR controlling app out there. Best of all it's free.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I find AOL to be very slow and pretty buggy. Doing anything besides viewing the current listings for the current time is a crapshoot. And searching seems to have zero relevance to what's currently programmer. A search seems to be more of a movie title database than a schedule.

SwingOnThis

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I find AOL to be very slow and pretty buggy. Doing anything besides viewing the current listings for the current time is a crapshoot. And searching seems to have zero relevance to what's currently programmer. A search seems to be more of a movie title database than a schedule.

Agreed, not a fan of the AOL guide. I think i'm just going to pay the 1 or 2 bucks and get a native app.

Lamplighter77

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Richmond, VA
What's On

Yeah, the AOL one was terrible. I bought What's On and I am pretty happy with it except you can't create a favorite channel list. At least I haven't figured out how to. There is also an update that is supposed to be coming for it too.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Yeah, the AOL one was terrible. I bought What's On and I am pretty happy with it except you can't create a favorite channel list. At least I haven't figured out how to. There is also an update that is supposed to be coming for it too.

Supposedly customizable channel lists is coming in an update (though I don't think the next one). I'm waiting for that to come, and then I'll buy the app then -- as scrolling through ALL the channels now doesn't sound like a fun time, when I only watch about 6-7 channels at most.

jstanier

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brighton, England.
Thanks for the links to the UK web apps, they're very good :)

I'm sure there's a few developers a bit annoyed about their paid TV guide applications, though. :)

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Here's hoping Sky release their Sky+ remote record program. Had it on my N95 and it's one of a couple of things I miss since getting the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.