Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwalker5

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
question:

1. Can you recieve calls w/out using skype?

Im not using skype, never signed up for it. went to voipstunt.com and set my iphone up this way and called my son and it went right through. Great connection and talke to him for about 10 minutes. I am also assuming that the call was free through my wifi.

baskettman70

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Im not using skype, never signed up for it. went to voipstunt.com and set my iphone up this way and called my son and it went right through. Great connection and talke to him for about 10 minutes. I am also assuming that the call was free through my wifi.

But can you receive calls?

donalduck70

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Confirmed - iPhone headphones w/mic works on iPod Touch 2G

I have a voip provider http://www.viatalk.com that I have configured with Fring. I went to my local best buy and picked up a pair of standard iPhone headphones with the mic built in and I'm able to use my iPod touch 2G as a phone. I did try to configure voipbuster and I couldn't get it to actually ring the phone I was dialing even though it acted like it did. Get a real voip provider and you'll be in business!

Good Luck!

tacos

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
No Caller ID with Fring using Voipstunt?

I can make outgoing SIP calls just fine, yes there is a few second delay but whatev...

The recipient's caller ID reads "out of area", or a random phone number thats not mine... is there any way to have the caller ID reflect my phone number? it works in Truphone, but thats not free....

Thanks!

cjosee

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
162854-frint_220.jpg

Can anyone tell me where I can find on fring the speaker option that show this image. I been playing with the app but no sing of this anywere.

also when you are making call on fring friends on top you see the e-mail of the person no the #. you see the # whe you use Skypeout. that what I see when I use it.

Ranza

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2008
Sydney, Australia
fring hacked for VOIP over 3G ;) on iPhone 3G

Hey all,

I was lucky enough to use it over 3G, there is a hacked version BUT it's not a great experience the delay can be about 1.5 to 2 seconds and audio is compressed. Though I did get it to dial using 3G and Skype out with WIFI off.

Anyone had better luck with this. It doesn't look feasible as it routs through fring (apparently) this is a unfortunate thing as it adds to the delay obviously.

At least be know that it is possible to have voip over 3G on the iPhone, now only if someone builds an App with this purpose I am sure it will work a lot better than this hack.

Fring should have done this from the begging and charged for the app. Perhaps they did try it but weren't able to get it to a usable point (no delay).

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
At least be know that it is possible to have voip over 3G on the iPhone, now only if someone builds an App with this purpose I am sure it will work a lot better than this hack.

Fring should have done this from the begging and charged for the app. Perhaps they did try it but weren't able to get it to a usable point (no delay).
It's against the SDK rules, that's why Fring didn't enable its use over 3G.

streetskooler

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
not really

And just so I understand from reading the website, you can only use VoIP to call other fring users; you can't call landlines/mobile numbers without some sort of VoIP minutes provider (a la Skype). Is that right?

EDIT: Looked around, and answered my own question.

(It's yes, btw.)

There are plently of free VOIP services such as VOIPStunt (? it's a SIP program) i believe it's called. I used this last night & was able to call my cell phone

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
Can you use a new ipod touch as a home phone then? I understand that receiving calls might take a little setup, but would anyone consider using an ipod touch as a home phone?

askywalker

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2007
Security issue? MSN password has been compromised...

I've been using Fring for a couple of days - so far only with Skype. I plugged in my MSN info this morning, and three times since then I have been logged out of MSN on my PC - while nowhere near my iPhone/Fring.

Each time I have just logged back in - but it is clearly saying that I am being logged out because I logged in somewhere else - which I most certainly didn't do.

I am hoping it is just Fring's servers acting a little strange, but will probably go in and change my credentials for Skype and MSN.

It is a weird thing - giving out application credentials all over the place on my iPhone. I have entered my Flikr account, MSN, Gmail, Yahoo etc... Often to really small application developments. Anyone else feel a little queasy about that?

Ranza

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2008
Sydney, Australia
It's against the SDK rules, that's why Fring didn't enable its use over 3G.

The original fring was for jailbroken iPhone's AFAIK, they should have made this available on Jailbroken iPhone's and built from the ground up for Voip over 3G.

Perhaps after having no luck (usable product) they decided to scrap doing it over 3G and decided might as well put in the App Store this time. It did take them pretty long to release this.

kyto

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
I have a few questions sorry if they have been answered before but i want to watch criminal minds.

1. How many minutes do you get with voipstunt
2. does the cell phone get charged for it? I know it would waste minutes if it wasn't on the weekends or whatever but is it free?

psyrtash

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
Unable to use Fring

Nice App.

I recently installed Fring on my Iphone.The problem I run into is that when I dial a phone number that I get either from "Buddy List" or "Keypad" I get a "Call Terminated" notice. The reason is that the +1 (for N.America) is not inserted in front of the number dialed. There is no way to add it on the IPhone.
On my desktop computer when I use "Skype Out" the +1 is added automatically.
Anybody has any ideas?

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
I've been using Fring for a couple of days - so far only with Skype. I plugged in my MSN info this morning, and three times since then I have been logged out of MSN on my PC - while nowhere near my iPhone/Fring.

Each time I have just logged back in - but it is clearly saying that I am being logged out because I logged in somewhere else - which I most certainly didn't do.

I am hoping it is just Fring's servers acting a little strange, but will probably go in and change my credentials for Skype and MSN.

It is a weird thing - giving out application credentials all over the place on my iPhone. I have entered my Flikr account, MSN, Gmail, Yahoo etc... Often to really small application developments. Anyone else feel a little queasy about that?

the app is digitally signed and released through Apple App Store after review so I have some confidence that it's legit

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I just downloaded this and Palringo to get some AIM client on my phone.

Which is better in terms of IM? They both seem to be the same and looks like Fring can do more so is there any need for me to keep Palringo anymore?

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
I just downloaded this and Palringo to get some AIM client on my phone.

Which is better in terms of IM? They both seem to be the same and looks like Fring can do more so is there any need for me to keep Palringo anymore?

For just IM, Palringo is better. it keeps you connected for about an hour after you close and offers more features like picture and voice messaging

swr

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
Still Having Problems with Fring

Can anyone help me? I have been trying to setup voicestick on my fring app and it keeps telling me that my username or password are incorrect even though they are correct. Has anyone gotten voicestick working on the iphone fring app? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I have a few questions sorry if they have been answered before but i want to watch criminal minds.

1. How many minutes do you get with voipstunt
2. does the cell phone get charged for it? I know it would waste minutes if it wasn't on the weekends or whatever but is it free?

I got thirty minutes free with voipstunt. After that you gotta pay. I guess there is no real free sip service?

And no your cellphone will not get charged for sip calls

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Can you use a new ipod touch as a home phone then? I understand that receiving calls might take a little setup, but would anyone consider using an ipod touch as a home phone?
The iPod touch that has no microphone or speaker (where the one for your ear is on the iPhone)?

swr

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
I got voicestick working with Fring...

For anyone else out there trying to setup Fring with Voicestick sip service, I have the correct way to set up it on your iphone.

To enable VoiceStick with Fring:

-Go to "More" (or Communities) and select SIP
-Enter your username, which is 1+your voicestick number, then @i2telecom.com. For example: 1xxxxxxxxxx@i2telecom.com
-Your password is your VoiceStick password
-Proxy is 72.5.80.116
-Click Log In

I was not putting in the "@i2telecom.com" after my phone number and it kept giving me errors. Now it works perfectly thanks to some help I received from a really nice person at dsl forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.