Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I really hope Jony No-Ive-dea's has come up with something more interesting than, let's spend a year and just make it look exactly the same but bigger

Yeah because the HTC One M8 looks nothing like the M7 and the Galaxy S3, 4 and 5 look nothing alike. :rolleyes: Should we have a go at TV makers because every TV is a black rectangle?

Yeah that HTC One M8 looks so different and much more interesting than the M7.

HTC-One-M8-vs-HTC-One-M7-001.jpg

HTC-One-M8-vs-HTC-One-M7-006.jpg

Last edited:

Oldfash33

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Good call!

Yeah because the HTC One M8 looks nothing like the M7 and the Galaxy S3, 4 and 5 look nothing alike. :rolleyes: Should we have a go at TV makers because every TV is a black rectangle?

Yeah that HTC One M8 looks so different and much more interesting than the M7.

HTC-One-M8-vs-HTC-One-M7-001.jpg

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
are you kidding me with those thick bezels. i have always been an apple supporter and if this phone is as ugly as they are predicting it will be... than ill be switching

Do you own an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, or 5S? How is the rumored iPhone 6 ugly but those aren't? It looks basically the same.

Also, its a phone - Does appearance outweigh everything else about it?

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Do all of your brains get wiped clean every week?
There IS proof of a 5.5 inch iPhone because there have been logic board leaks in 2 different sizes, with one of them too wide to fit in the 4.7 shell and too short to be for an iPad.
There were posts with both the logic boards only a few weeks ago.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Do you own an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, or 5S? How is the rumored iPhone 6 ugly but those aren't? It looks basically the same.

Also, its a phone - Does appearance outweigh everything else about it?

This entire leak is either fake or not for an iPhone 6. Possibly a new low tier phone like 6C or 5SC. We've already seen legit iPhone 6 front panels in the scratch test videos. Here's how I know those were legit: they had bezelled edges and they were more scratch resistant, as well as extremely bendable (without breaking), way more so than the iPhone 5S, so I'd love to know how some random spoofing company made those.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
There IS proof of a 5.5 inch iPhone because there have been logic board leaks in 2 different sizes, with one of them too wide to fit in the 4.7 shell and too short to be for an iPad.
Forget it mate, I've been saying the same stuff for a while now. Some people on here don't want a 5.5 inch iPhone and can't see the benefit or reasoning of other people wanting one so therefor they don't want one and think because they don't want one no one else wants one and must deny it's possible existence.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014

Also this:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/21/here-are-the-first-photos-of-the-5-5-inch-iphone-6s-purported-lcd/

But yes I think all of their brains get wiped clean each week. I know some of them do, just based on their 0 knowledge of the point of an iWatch after over a year of details about it.

Jiz

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I believe it goes something like this:

:D

----------

If the bezels become too thin, just holding the phone will activate the touchscreen (which isn't good imo).

I'm not a technician but can't they just deactivate the touch inputs near the edge?

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Forget it mate, I've been saying the same stuff for a while now. Some people on here don't want a 5.5 inch iPhone and can't see the benefit or reasoning of other people wanting one so therefor they don't want one and think because they don't want one no one else wants one and must deny it's possible existence.
I don't even want it, and I was extremely confident Apple wouldn't do that when I first saw a rumor about it like a year ago, but now I'm highly confident there will be one.

----------

I'm not a technician but can't they just deactivate the touch inputs near the edge?

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. They already have built in software for this in the iPads. It was first introduced in the iPad mini in 2012... They do it through software and it works flawlessly. That's why everything you hear from anyone on these forums is usually 100% wrong or completely uneducated guesses.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
i wonder if they will do pre-orders this time

I was thinking that myself. While it would be logical to do pre-orders, Angela Ahrendts past operating philosophy has been to bring the customer into the Brick & Mortar. It is a fact that Apple is looking to now boost in store sales. The initial production run of 70 million devices would lend one to expect plenty of Brick & Mortar inventory. Apple wants the local at&t, Verizon, T-Mobile to be your second choice of purchase point.

We should know on 9-19-14. I predict no US Apple Store runs out of any inventory the first 5 days (with huge sales.) :apple:

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
I'm more disappointed that there won't be a notification light.

Also, it looks like the photo that was linked up a bit from me there is only one hole (I'm assuming for the camera), which makes me wonder where the proximity sensor is.

Notification light? Are you hearing impaired? Anyone ever ask themselves why LED notification is in accessibility under hearing? Hint: it's to improve the accessibility of the phone for the hearing impaired, not so you can turn off vibrate, and sounds and hope you're looking at the device when you get a notification.

----------

I was thinking that myself. While it would be logical to do pre-orders, Angela Ahrendts past operating philosophy has been to bring the customer into the Brick & Mortar. It is a fact that Apple is looking to now boost in store sales. The initial production run of 70 million devices would lend one to expect plenty of Brick & Mortar inventory. Apple wants the local at&t, Verizon, T-Mobile to be your second choice of purchase point.

We should know on 9-19-14. I predict no US Apple Store runs out of any inventory the first 5 days (with huge sales.) :apple:

They'll definitely do preorders just like they always have. The only difference is the amount of preorders available. Obviously they don't allow anywhere near all of the phones to be ordered through preorders.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Notification light? Are you hearing impaired? Anyone ever ask themselves why LED notification is in accessibility under hearing? Hint: it's to improve the accessibility of the phone for the hearing impaired, not so you can turn off vibrate, and sounds and hope you're looking at the device when you get a notification.

----------

They'll definitely do preorders just like they always have. The only difference is the amount of preorders available. Obviously they don't allow anywhere near all of the phones to be ordered through preorders.

They didn't do preorders for the iPhone 5S. Hence why some people are curious this year.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
They didn't do preorders for the iPhone 5S. Hence why some people are curious this year.

Oh that's right they were only for the 5C. Yep anything goes then I guess

----------

I'm starting to believe the 5.5-inch will NOT happen at the same time as the 4.7-inch. :(

I think I'll buy the 5.5" despite the fact that I want the 4.7", because it'll say 'Designed by Apple in California' 'Assembled in the United States'

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Side bezels, no
Top and bottom bezels, yes

Touch ID doesn't need that much room.....hopefully they will shrink it down.

The iPad mini (not sure about the air) has a software feature to ignore those accidental touches, because of the smaller side bezels.

Those are wasted clock cycles just to protect against a flawed design of having a bezel too small.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013

----------

Every actually had a phone with a notification light? It's so convenient, I can hop out of the shower and glance at the phone while it's off, if the light is flashing I check it, if not then there's no need to even look at it. Since switching to the iPhone I find myself having to turn the screen on multiple times a day to see if I have any messages. I always have the phone on vibrate as a courtesy to others since ringtones are annoying and rude while in public settings.

The vibrate feature isn't quite powerful enough that I can always feel it if I'm walking around. Would be nice to pull the phone out of my pocket, see if the light is blinking or not and put it back in my pocket. Would sure save battery life not having to power on the screen multiple times a day.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Those are wasted clock cycles just to protect against a flawed design of having a bezel too small.

Seriously? :rolleyes: My LG G2 that I switch out with has extremely small side bezels and it never registers a touch on the sides. You sound a little out of touch with reality.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
I feel like a 5-inch iPhone would have been the sweet spot. 5.5 is way too clunky for a smartphone and an increase of just .7-inches isn't that great.

Yet you think the .3 inches from 4.7 to 5 WOULD be that great? :rolleyes:

.7 inches diagonally is quite a large percentage increase (38%) in screen area (from 6.84 to 9.44 square inches at 16:9 aspect ratio)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.