Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jodr

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Yes it is.

No, it's not. A desktop computer with a slow hard drive, aging processor, uses notebook parts, built without upgrading or user-service in mind, and that you void the warranty by even opening.

Eesh - I don't know why it bugs me so much, I have considered the cute, quiet little buggers. But the value just isn't there. It is a cheaper way to pay the same Apple premium, and it's about the most feature-less and least future-proof machine you could buy.

I admit, I'm using the poor Mini as a stress ball in this post.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
No, it's not. A desktop computer with a slow hard drive, aging processor, uses notebook parts, built without upgrading or user-service in mind, and that you void the warranty by even opening.

Eesh - I don't know why it bugs me so much, I have considered the cute, quiet little buggers. But the value just isn't there. It is a cheaper way to pay the same Apple premium, and it's about the most feature-less and least future-proof machine you could buy.

+1

the current mini is effectively '2007' for the rest of the world.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
nah.macmini with plex+sony lcd 46 = perfect hd home theathre.
tv shows in hd,1080p movies and an amazing plex interface,fast,without lagz ecc.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento

+1

the current mini is effectively '2007' for the rest of the world.

Are you sure you guys are in the right forum?

It does *not* void your warranty to open a mini. I thought we already cleared this up like 20X over.

95% of the world doesnt need anything better than 2007 technology to do what they need to do.

Heck, 95% of the world doesnt need anything more than *netbook* power to do what they need to do.

You cant apply what *your* needs/wants are to the rest of the world, doesnt work that way. Not everyone needs/wants what you do.

Oh, and let me fix this for you: In fact, he says, Snow Leopard is less secure than either Vista or Windows 7. There simply aren't enough Mac users to make it worth hackers' efforts to attack Macs: FALSE

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
tv shows in hd,1080p movies and an amazing plex interface,fast,without lagz ecc.

and Blu ray ..??

to get tru HD, not the compressed rubbish on iTunes..?

how does that work??

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
never heard about torrents ? and btw,u will NEVER see the difference between blue ray and a good 1080p x264 10gb movie.Believe me,not on 46" and not even on 50".Mb on 100" or more,but i doubt that too.It's like Dvd and a 1.47 Dvd Avc rip.There is NO difference.who cares about blue ray lol.I'm not so rich to waste my money when i can get Hd movies faster than even going to the shop and buy them.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
thats what i'm talking about.it just works,its silent,little and cute.who cares about the rest.we choose what we need but i cant see the reason why there are so many ppl crying about macs.cant afford it ? forget about it.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
True and unless your a gamer, Im still thinking the best way to replace my old 2.4 20" imac will be with a 32" hdtv 1080p and a mini. Perfect for an office or mancave.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
if i was a gamer i'd buy a ps3 or xbox with xbmc wich is kinda like plex (anyways plex is much better than that)

btw whats about itunes ? why dont u like it ? mb coz its 720p ? .. ill say u 1 thing. in 60% of movies 720p is enough to enjoy it. when u're watching a pixar animation, then yeah,u need 1080p.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
It does *not* void your warranty to open a mini. I thought we already cleared this up like 20X over.
]

Sorry for interrupting this nice Mini bashing thread, but can you give me a little more information about that?
I always thought it would void the warranty (since the Apple 'Genius' in the local store said so). I'm going to buy a Mini in the next weeks which I will use as a HTPC, but since it will run 24/7 the stock 2.5" drive is pretty much useless.

So let me get this straight, if I swap the HD, I'd still have the 3 year warranty?
Is that printed in the warranty manual of the Mini?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Sorry for interrupting this nice Mini bashing thread, but can you give me a little more information about that?
I always thought it would void the warranty (since the Apple 'Genius' in the local store said so). I'm going to buy a Mini in the next weeks which I will use as a HTPC, but since it will run 24/7 the stock 2.5" drive is pretty much useless.

So let me get this straight, if I swap the HD, I'd still have the 3 year warranty?
Is that printed in the warranty manual of the Mini?

Apple allows you to upgrade the mini, but if you break something the process you void your warranty.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Fry's has always advertised that online price for the mini. Call them and that model at that price is either 'not in stock' or 'sold out', or 'not available in stores'.

Sounds fishy to me...

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I bought one for that price so I know it's good.

I just bought a mini for that advertised price so I know it works. You just order online for a store pickup.

This is my second mini I use with plex. It works great.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

How is the Mini less future-proof then say a Macbook[Pro] or an iMac? At least you can change your display for a bigger/better one ;). Yon can't upgrade an iMac or Macbook[Pro] anymore than you can a Mini.

rich.smith

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008

Yet every time I compare the price of the mini to a comparable windows machine, the price difference is negligible. The current version from Dell is the Inspiron Zino HD. Price in a configuration similar to a mini with a 320GB drive? $679. Price of the mini - $699. I don't know about you, but $20 for a Mac instead of having to run windows is a no brainer for me.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Yet every time I compare the price of the mini to a comparable windows machine, the price difference is negligible. The current version from Dell is the Inspiron Zino HD. Price in a configuration similar to a mini with a 320GB drive? $679. Price of the mini - $699. I don't know about you, but $20 for a Mac instead of having to run windows is a no brainer for me.

Why is that? When used as HTPC, Windows probably is a better choice. The risk of malware is very low in this line of use and even if infected, the fix is easy (your main computer is another story). And then you can get a lot more software to run on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.