Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Why is that? When used as HTPC, Windows probably is a better choice. The risk of malware is very low in this line of use and even if infected, the fix is easy (your main computer is another story). And then you can get a lot more software to run on it.

Your obviously in the wrong forum if your telling people that Windows is better in a Mac forum.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have yet to see one in my local store for $499 and I walk by the apple section every time I go in. I'll be running by there tomorrow and will report back if I see it but I've never seen it below the $599 starting price just like ordering from Apple, again this is in store but they do show online for $499.

Weird but wouldn't they have honor their own online pricing if it is not labeled as an online only special ?

Only states at the 499 price if you order between now and March 4th but doesnt say strictly online.

Edit: NVM, just noticed the disclaimer at the bottom of the screen. Frys.com prices good for online purchases only. In-store items and prices at Fry's retail locations may vary. Some online offers are subject to prior sale and may not be available.

I did just pick one and selected in store pickup at the dallas store and the price stayed at 499 throughout checkout.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Why is that? When used as HTPC, Windows probably is a better choice. The risk of malware is very low in this line of use and even if infected, the fix is easy (your main computer is another story). And then you can get a lot more software to run on it.

LAWL winzozz fanboys still think so ? Lol u made my day.."more software" ,unbeatable argument .. :)

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
buying a windows machine instead of a mac to have MORE software ? What kind of software lol ?
more crappy software mb?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I thought one buys a computer to run a software on it. Was i wrong? Perhaps you found another use for it.

Thought it was too look pretty sitting on my desk:confused:
What is this "soft-ware" you speak of?

Even still, I see a metric F-ton of software for OSX not sure I need it all,..... or do I ?
http://www.macupdate.com
do tell us all what we would NEED that is not availible on OSX .... and personally I don't care about games so leave that list out unless you want to add it. I'm actually just curious so sorry if I sound like el douchebag.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
I thought one buys a computer to run a software on it. Was i wrong? Perhaps you found another use for it.

How many versions of Tetris, Solitaire and PIM software do you need?

heres a pretty good guide to using a mini as a HTPC.

I could never switch to windows, I have no clue how to use it. I have *never* used a Windows based PC, and I never will. The first computer I used was in 1984 (before many of you were born), it was a Radio Shack TRS-80 (more commonly referred to as a "Trash 80"). 1987 saw my first mac, a Plus, and I have never bought a PC since then.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Thought it was too look pretty sitting on my desk:confused:
What is this "soft-ware" you speak of?

Even still, I see a metric F-ton of software for OSX not sure I need it all,..... or do I ?
http://www.macupdate.com
do tell us all what we would NEED that is not availible on OSX .... and personally I don't care about games so leave that list out unless you want to add it. I'm actually just curious so sorry if I sound like el douchebag.

I could understood if he told that 10 years ago MB,but nowadays it sounds crazy...and yeah... windows software - 1000000,mac software 10000.On my mac mini i use ..smth like 20 programs.. but hey,there are 10 bilions programs for windows,its better! :p lol

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
buying a windows machine instead of a mac to have MORE software ? What kind of software lol ?
more crappy software mb?

HTPC type of software LOL. Just one example. Here is what one Mac user had to say on Netflix blog:

Charles Bandes said...
This is great news. Even better news would be an AppleTV or Playstation3 solution. If a real solution is going to be here within the next two months, does that mean a beta should be showing up sooner?

I'm dying to see:

Mac support
Firefox/Safari/Chrome support
PS3 support
AppleTV support

OCTOBER 2, 2008 6:27 AM

-------------------------

As it happens all too often, Windows users enjoy software/features while their Mac counterparts "are dying" to see :D

c0bracommander

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2008
Are you sure you guys are in the right forum?

It does *not* void your warranty to open a mini. I thought we already cleared this up like 20X over.

95% of the world doesnt need anything better than 2007 technology to do what they need to do.

Heck, 95% of the world doesnt need anything more than *netbook* power to do what they need to do.

You cant apply what *your* needs/wants are to the rest of the world, doesnt work that way. Not everyone needs/wants what you do.

Oh, and let me fix this for you: In fact, he says, Snow Leopard is less secure than either Vista or Windows 7. There simply aren't enough Mac users to make it worth hackers' efforts to attack Macs: FALSE

While some of your points are valid, which I agree with, I think that Snow Leopard will be way more secure with the same amount of users as Windows. It has a unix kernel (based off FreeBSD). Plus using the bash shell trumps Windows XP & 7. Even if "hackers" ended up focusing attention to OS X, it's a little more 'refined' than any Windows product, IMO.

Users don't need a lot of power, BUT they certainly can get more for their money with something like a Lenovo PC for around the same price as this mini is being priced.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
mm .. i dun think i understood but macmini with plex = netflix working like a charm.can't see the problem lol

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I could understood if he told that 10 years ago MB,but nowadays it sounds crazy...and yeah... windows software - 1000000,mac software 10000.On my mac mini i use ..smth like 20 programms.. but hey,there are 10 bilions programms for windows,its better! :p lol
RGR that, just that theres 50 different versions of the same program on Windows and 30 different on OSX doesn't equally account for more software on said OS.

but maybe I do need 32 different "minimalistic" torrent apps installed on my computer. who knows, i definitely don't. Jeez I need a larger hard drive already.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I could understood if he told that 10 years ago MB,but nowadays it sounds crazy...and yeah... windows software - 1000000,mac software 10000.On my mac mini i use ..smth like 20 programms.. but hey,there are 10 bilions programms for windows,its better! :p lol

Are you sure about 10 years? Here is a fresh example from Apple.com:

hulu on firefox woes, but just with one account on same computer

My daughter cannot view programs on Hulu using Firefox; an error message comes up saying "a script is causing Adobe Flash Player 10 to run slowly" and it never loads. When I went to submit a question to Firefox help, I was never able to, as the spam prevention numbers I typed in were consistently rejected, even though I could see they matched. I, however, on the same computer (a 2006 imac using snow leopard) can view all programs on Hulu using Firefox, and had no trouble submitting my help question. I deleted all cookies and history, returned Firefox to default settings, all to no avail. Could there be malware on one account and not another on the same computer? I am stumped!

imac Mac OS X (10.5.8)

-----------------------

The situation has improved but still... being 4% of the market worldwide OS/X will always come distant second in availability and support of software. Chrome browser for OS/X is another recent example.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
HTPC type of software LOL. Just one example. Here is what one Mac user had to say on Netflix blog:

Charles Bandes said...
This is great news. Even better news would be an AppleTV or Playstation3 solution. If a real solution is going to be here within the next two months, does that mean a beta should be showing up sooner?

I'm dying to see:

Mac support
PS3 support
AppleTV support

As it happens all too often, Windows users enjoy software/features while their Mac counterparts "are dying" to see :D

that was in 2008, not sure why someone else can't watch Netflix..... jsut went to the site, logged in and clicked the first watch now movie I saw and ... " it played" I must have an OSX themed version of Windows 7(because it was my idea) in my computer.

I also watch Hulu everyday on my MBP during lunch and have Hulu running on my AppleTV right now. so weird, I want to have problems on my computer too.

Yours truly, hot n bothered in dallas.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
mm .. i dun think i understood but macmini with plex = netflix working like a charm.can't see the problem lol

Apparently, you do not get the point. This example was not a recent one (from 2008). I did not say that the problem was not resolved but it was an example of situation where something important works on Windows and not on OS/X. ANd this happens all the time.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Lol ? a MAC problem or flash/firefox problem ? man what are u talking about ? BTW Use Hulu thru Plex too :)

something important works on Windows and not on OS/X. ANd this happens all the time

OH PLEASE , corrected - "smth important works on OS X and not on Windows"

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
that was in 2008, not sure why someone else can't watch Netflix..... jsut went to the site, logged in and clicked the first watch now movie I saw and ... " it played" I must have an OSX themed version of Windows 7(because it was my idea) in my computer.

It's not the particular problem that is important, it's the pattern. In 2008 it was Netflix, in 2010 it might be Hulu or support for BluRay or something else but there is always something (and quite a lot of it).

c0bracommander

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2008
Why don't you people just build your own *nux based rig to use as your media server? You can fill it with way more drives, and even run it live with Apache.

Spending money on a mac mini for $500 with a max (from Apple) 500gb SATA drive? You could buy 2 (1 TB) drives and use the leftover money for a case, processor, RAM, etc.. all coming out for under $1k. It would last you WAY longer than any mac mini would with confined casing space. Plus you could also upgrade it. Run XBMC, LinuxMCE, or hell even unRAID.

I think it's practical for college girls, older women, and metrosexual (wanna-be) fan boys.

I appreciate Apple, and I'm a minor fanboy, but I just realize that if there is an ability to do something better, for a better value, which is more logical, do it.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Look at the date man. That's not true anymore netflix works fine on my mac.

Charles Bandes said...

I'm dying to see:

Mac support
PS3 support
AppleTV support

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Lol ? a MAC problem or flash/firefox problem ? man what are u talking about ? BTW Use Hulu thru Plex too :)

It was a problem of flash/firefox on MAC. Another deflection? We are talking about the deficiencies of available software for OS/X. Nobody is arguing that OS/X is not perfect. It is, it's just that application support is lacking. It's like ... (what analogy would you understand?) ... Web OS and iPhone.

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA

Charles Bandes said...

I'm dying to see:

Mac support
PS3 support
AppleTV support

I watch a netflix movie at least once a week on my ancient 2006 mac mini~~pretty sweet deal really :) ..that's an old blog.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
i've never had any problem with my mac mini.and i had tons of problems with a windows pc,thatswhy im using ubuntu on my very old acer notebook.there is a reason.WINDOWS SUX.
a guy tellin that windows works better than a mac (or programs runs better under win that mac) must be
1) a guy that never used Mac OS X
2)an idiot
in any case,i dunno what to tell you more than i've told.so just use your winzozz and be happy

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
It's not the particular problem that is important, it's the pattern. In 2008 it was Netflix, in 2010 it might be Hulu or support for BluRay or something else but there is always something (and quite a lot of it).

I do understand where you're coming from but I have had just as many if not more problems on my Windows machines as my OSX ones. I could not sleep soundly tonight if I stated that flash has always worked brilliantly on my ME/XP/Vista/7 machine. It's nice to be able to watch movies fluidly but it's not IMPORTANT to me, its a want. What is important would be being able to actually hear the movies when I want to watch them and this has been a thorn in my side with every soundblaster card I've owned since Vista came out.

but hopefully we can all get back on topic soon before the OP looses his mind.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
i've never had any problem with my mac mini.and i had tons of problems with a windows pc,thatswhy im using ubuntu on my very old acer notebook.there is a reason.WINDOWS SUX.
a guy tellin that windows works better than a mac (or programs runs better under win that mac) must be
1) a guy that never used Mac OS X
2)an idiot
in any case,i dunno what to tell you more than i've told.so just use your winzozz and be happy

Sorry to disturb your sensitive soul. If you want a piece of advice - do not be rude and do not take technical discussions as a personal matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.