Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHead84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
I am a guest in the land of smiles
Today i saw this photo (I cropped it) on the German Apple rumors website "Apfelpage" which hints to a full dark mode in iOS 12.
What do you think?

IMG_8903.jpg

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Today i saw this photo (I cropped it) on the German Apple rumors website "Apfelpage" which hints to a full dark mode in iOS 12.
What do you think?

View attachment 759078

Dark mode has been rumored for years and I don’t believe dark mode will ever be conclusive to the iPhone. The closest thing to dark mode is smart invert and I don’t forsee Dark Mode happening anytime soon.

Reactions: jhall8

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do you think?

View attachment 759078
Curious, how exactly does that hint at something in iOS 12?

Seems like it's just another mock-up type of image, if anything, perhaps just there in the context of someone hoping that something like that might finally be there in iOS 12 (similar to how those kinds of mock-ups and hopes were around for years and many iOS updates).

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig and jhall8

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Dark mode has been rumored for years and I don’t believe dark mode will ever be conclusive to the iPhone. The closest thing to dark mode is smart invert and I don’t forsee Dark Mode happening anytime soon.
I could see it happening when (if) OLED displays eventually predominate. For now and for the forseeable future, however, LCDs and their somewhat-inverse power draw are reigning (and will reign) supreme.

Also Apple is repotedly delaying major interface changes/overhauls (such as that of the homescreen) until iOS 13, so that’s probably a better bet anyway.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
It would be nice if they did it because it is highly requested. I see 2 points to when a release could occur. 1, IOS 12 rumors hold true and it is mainly bug fixes and then they toss dark mode in knowing very well IOS 13 is a full blown redesign, so 12 is the last update for a good portion of devices. 2, dark mode becomes an exclusive OLED and beyond type item. And with the release of potentially 3 new X-type devices, this year, 2 get dark mode and 1 doesn't. Once again pushing people who really want it to pay more for their devices. Guess only time will tell. I'm looking forward to going to WWDC again just to talk with fellow developers on their take on IOS 12 once announced. I had really high hopes of a full blown redesign, could it happen.. sure.. but based on rumors that isn't coming till IOS 13. But.. no one knows right now. I personally would like to see the option for a dark mode since the Apple Watch is actually running dark mode almost entirely.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
As long as the notch stays, dark mode won't be offered.

Apple's current UI guidelines emphasize not hiding the notch and dark mode would do just that.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
There seems to be some other funky stuff going on as well with that iPhone, or rather the UI in the picture besides the dark theme, so I'd say it's safe to say that's not anything to be taken too seriously. 'Tis just another concept demo to rile up readers.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
While I'm highly in favor of a dark mode, I also don't think it's coming very soon.

The main 2 reasons for this is because they released that silly inverted colors mode which is almost a dark mode, and acts similar enough that they must have intended for that to be their half-baked dark mode option (inverted colors has been around forever and has never been modified). The second reason is that if they had intended for it to be a longstanding feature (which it would be) they would have done it for the release of the X, with the notch/UI redesign; but as mentioned above they decided to emphasis the notch instead, which dark mode does the opposite.

I'm jailbroken now, so not a big deal to me.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It seems like that would have made sense to already be there in iOS 11.

I don't think so. iOS 11 had to work on a ton of devices and the new X, which was a completely different UX. It would have been too much to get it in iOS 11. Either way, I am sure it happens eventually.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I expect dark mode now that they have moved to OLED.

As if that's what it would take for Apple to be bothered to do it.

It's not like people's eyes get burnt up by the light-grey-on-white theme is reason enough. People have been asking for this for years and it can't possibly be that difficult to implement.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
As if that's what it would take for Apple to be bothered to do it.

It's not like people's eyes get burnt up by the light-grey-on-white theme is reason enough. People have been asking for this for years and it can't possibly be that difficult to implement.

I am sure it's not, but Apple tends to look to a more tangible benefit than just a personal preference, which is all it would be prior to OLED. Now that we have OLED, there is a tangible benefit, better battery life. I am sure they would want to market that.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I am sure it's not, but Apple tends to look to a more tangible benefit than just a personal preference, which is all it would be prior to OLED. Now that we have OLED, there is a tangible benefit, better battery life. I am sure they would want to market that.

The tangible benefit is greatly reduced eye strain in dark environments.

You can physically feel your eyes relax when inverting the colors of the stark-white apps while in the dark. Nightshift helps a little bit but isn't nearly as effective (ideally you'd have both).

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The tangible benefit is greatly reduced eye strain in dark environments.

You can physically feel your eyes relax when inverting the colors of the stark-white apps while in the dark. Nightshift helps a little bit but isn't nearly as effective (ideally you'd have both).

Well it didn't happen so I suppose Apple disagrees. I don't know, I just think it will come now that they moved to OLED. It will probably remain an exclusive also.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It makes no sense why we don’t have the option yet especially since both the watch OS and CarPlay are both in dark mode.

I'd imagine it's a big undertaking to make everything look right. From a software perspective, I believe Apple is spread thinner than they should be/would like with everything they are taking on. Plus, they may have been waiting for OLED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.