Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hivaoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2023
Hello there,

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro M1 2021 from Monterey to Ventura 13.4 and I have an issue which drives me nuts: when switching some of my apps from the Dock, instead of showing me the app, it shows me my Desktop instead – I can see the app's menu in the top bar though. I have to click again on the Dock icon of the app to make it appear.

I tried different things just like the person on Apple's forums such as restarting the Dock, restarting the system, upgrading to 13.5, deleting the windowserver.plist file, deleting Dock preferences file etc. Nothing. I also tried with a new user, same behavior. I looked at the console but I couldn't find something interesting. Also run most of the Onyx maintenance tasks but no chances. Stage manager is disabled.

I don't seem to have any problems when switching from Cmd+Tab. The only clue I have is that it seems that this bug also impacts Mission Control (or it comes from Mission Control?). When the bug occurs, I am indeed switched to the "Desktop" Mission Control screen instead of the app's full screen space.

I attached a video of the problem : I'm on my terminal, want to switch to Safari, I click on the dock Icon of Safari but got redirected to the Mission Control's screen of the Desktop instead.

Thank you in advance for any help! If I could avoid reinstalling everything, that would be nice

Last edited:

stevenaaus

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Good luck with this bug report ;) :p
Full screen Apps have had this type of bug ever since they rewrote how they're (meant to) behave shortly after Snow Leopard IIRC.

Part of their iOS-ification of macOS that QA has written off, and will forever be buggy imho.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I looks like it's initially switching to the wrong space. Do you have the setting "When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application" turned on?

hivaoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2023
I looks like it's initially switching to the wrong space. Do you have the setting "When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application" turned on?
Sorry for the late answer. Unfortunately, this doesn't fix the problem.

I don't seem to have this bug when I have an external monitor plugged in. I can't imagine we are only a few to have this bug. It is insane and make macOS unusable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.