Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
In the demos there were no full-screen buttons. Do you think Apple has gotten rid of this feature? Doesn't make sense.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
What's happening with Mission Control? If they've taken away Mission Control does that mean Spaces is back? How about Exposé?

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Makes sense, the green button has always been pretty bad on OSX with very inconsistent results depending on the app

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Makes sense, the green button has always been pretty bad on OSX with very inconsistent results depending on the app

It has a purpose, though, when implemented correctly it maximizes the content in the window without going fullscreen. I hope it's not gone.

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
Confirmed on Apple's website http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/design/

The maximise window button is now full screen. Gonna miss it although I'm glad they've streamlined the buttons.

” Instead of having two buttons that do different things and are both important for a user, we are going to get rid of the most useful one of the two for that user”

That user being me. I think apple has a grudge or something...

Why streamline something that isnt in any need of streamlining? Is it really hard to have four buttons instead of three?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
” Instead of having two buttons that do different things and are both important for a user, we are going to get rid of the most useful one of the two for that user”

Why streamline something that isnt in any need of streamlining? Is it really hard to have four buttons instead of three?

I agree, it was a shortsighted move. Maybe an option-click of the button will mimic the old functionality.

At least they have a public beta this time, hopefully they will listen to feedback.

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
I agree, it was a shortsighted move. Maybe an option-click of the button will mimic the old functionality.

At least they have a public beta this time, hopefully they will listen to feedback.

Now the problem will be that 1. I won’t have as fast access to my dock or menubar since you need to hold your mouse pointer at the edges or 2. I have to pull on the windows every time i want to maximize.

Pick your poison. I really only use fullscreen for when I watch video but fullscreen on regular apps adds a lot of steps if you want to switch apps fast.

Best solution in my opinion if apples wants to have 3 buttons, please, make aerosnap happen. It’s so awesome.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Now the problem will be that 1. I won’t have as fast access to my dock or menubar since you need to hold your mouse pointer at the edges or 2. I have to pull on the windows every time i want to maximize.

Pick your poison. I really only use fullscreen for when I watch video but fullscreen on regular apps adds a lot of steps if you want to switch apps fast.

Best solution in my opinion if apples wants to have 3 buttons, please, make aerosnap happen. It’s so awesome.

Have you tried the snap window feature with better touch tools? I agree that a snap windows feature makes things so much better and better touch tools has worked well for me.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Apps go fullscreen on clicking the green button. If you hold down option, it will do the old maximize behavior.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014

Not sure if I undrestood you correctly, but you can still enlarge the windows by double clicking on the title bar.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011

What a lame move.. I use the expand button all the time.. why not just add a 4th blue button

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
What's happening with Mission Control? If they've taken away Mission Control does that mean Spaces is back? How about Exposé?
mission control is expose

It has a purpose, though, when implemented correctly it maximizes the content in the window without going fullscreen. I hope it's not gone.

Window-> Zoom
same thing.. it'll probably have a key stroke now instead. (or possibly a custom toolbar icon for app specific use?)

personally, i agree with the designers.. the green button is a better place for full screen.. and i bet that button gets clicked a lot more now than it has in the past.

----------

i kinda think you're doing it wrong then ;)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Is the upper right blue box still there to "de-full-screen" it, or is that somehow different?

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
oh.. right. good question.

i would think the de-full-screen button should be somewhere on the left side now.
?

it has the old defull screen button.. maybe just on older apps.. but also has a title bar with the 3 buttons that drops down

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 12.03.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 12.03.40 AM.png
    210 KB · Views: 284

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
It should also be mentioned.. the animation for going to and from full screen is painfully slow.. even worse then animations in ios 7.0.x... hopefully unlike iOS 7.0.x they actually fix this before it goes public :/

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
it has the old defull screen button.. maybe just on older apps.. but also has a title bar with the 3 buttons that drops down

thanks.

seems sort of strange.. i mean, it looks like it will do the trick but it seems a bit unrefined at the moment.. apple typically doesn't have two icons/buttons showing at the same time which do the exact same thing.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
It should also be mentioned.. the animation for going to and from full screen is painfully slow.. even worse then animations in ios 7.0.x... hopefully unlike iOS 7.0.x they actually fix this before it goes public :/

It's slow as the animation is choppy. That'll be corrected before public launch as it's much more noticeable on a larger screen.

----------

thanks.

seems sort of strange.. i mean, it looks like it will do the trick but it seems a bit unrefined at the moment.. apple typically doesn't have two icons/buttons showing at the same time which do the exact same thing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the exit full screen button is removed further down the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.