Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Apple listened! Full screen photos on call screen iPhone is coming back!

hero.png

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Yaaasss! Saw that on the keynote.

«I read your emails!» —Tim Cook, 2014

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
The whole Continuity bit got me smiling wide. SMS, phone calls and "on-demand" tethering between a Wi-Fi iPad and iPhone... very welcome.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
The whole Continuity bit got me smiling wide. SMS, phone calls and "on-demand" tethering between a Wi-Fi iPad and iPhone... very welcome.

Can you explain that a bit? Was too busy be 'the Apple guy' for social media and friends via messaging so I didn't quite catch what the whole hotspot/tethering thing was about.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Can you explain that a bit? Was too busy be 'the Apple guy' for social media and friends via messaging so I didn't quite catch what the whole hotspot/tethering thing was about.

My understanding of it based on the keynote:

as long as Wi-Fi and / or Bluetooth is turned on and your iPad / Mac is within range of (for ad-hoc connection) or on the same Wi-Fi network with your iPhone, they know they have internet availability when needed (same with SMS and phone calls).

No need to reach / dig for your phone to turn Personal Hotspot on and no need to keep Personal Hotspot on at all times (actually, doesn't it turn off automatically after idling for a while?).

Basically, as far as Personal Hotspot is concerned, there'll be less friction in using it. SMS and phone calls are of course a totally new thing.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
My understanding of it based on the keynote:
No need to reach / dig for your phone to turn Personal Hotspot on and no need to keep Personal Hotspot on at all times (actually, doesn't it turn off automatically after idling for a while?).

You have to be in the menu to have your phone be discoverable. This feature fixes that so you just select it from you wifi menu without having to touch your phone. (And it tells you about your phone's signal strength in some magic way.)

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I';m predicting that the small round contact icons are in place for when the iWatch comes out. The round photos will render perfectly on the face of the watch.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I couldn't be happier , that was really bugging me . After countless feedbacks and a couple of emails they are finally coming back :D

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Does full screen photos mean that the default picture setting will not take 16:9 pictures instead of the regular 4:3?

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Can anyone confirm, other than looking at apple.com, but actually test on their phone that full screen caller is is working?

And if so, how do you set up a full screen pic vs. the little circle?

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011

I have unlimited data on my iPhone 5. I have a mini. It has a data package for those few times I have needed it. But at $20/mo it's definitely more of a donation to VZN each month for the amount of data I use. So does this mean I can use my phone's hotspot for FREE? I have always thought turning on hotspot on my phone required an additonal charge. (I could be wrong....) I also have an iPad 2 .. that could be a $40 a month savings.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I have unlimited data on my iPhone 5. I have a mini. It has a data package for those few times I have needed it. But at $20/mo it's definitely more of a donation to VZN each month for the amount of data I use. So does this mean I can use my phone's hotspot for FREE? I have always thought turning on hotspot on my phone required an additonal charge. (I could be wrong....) I also have an iPad 2 .. that could be a $40 a month savings.

I'm pretty sure this will only work if you have a plan tethering plan. If you turn it on you will probably be asked to switch to a tethering plan.
I can't imagine the carriers giving Apple even more control then they already have. I mean it's a nothing short of a miracle that they don't require Apple to submit their software updates to the Carriers for addition of bloatware.

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011

I'm pretty sure this will only work if you have a plan tethering plan. If you turn it on you will probably be asked to switch to a tethering plan.
I can't imagine the carriers giving Apple even more control then they already have. I mean it's a nothing short of a miracle that they don't require Apple to submit their software updates to the Carriers for addition of bloatware.

If this is the case, what is the big deal with Apple making this a feature? I can do that now if I turn on hotspot. I assume it will all become clear as more and more folks work with the beta version.

Ninerboy81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Murrieta, CA
I have had about 5 people call me and it is still the small circle. I even synced my FB contacts with my phone contacts and it only updated the images but still stayed with small circles, maybe in a later beta release!!

perse

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2013
Does anyone else think the little round picture on the iPad look ridiculous? Especially with all of that available screen real estate.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Since phone screens are getting larger i would hate to see full screen picture caller id, especially if you're out in public and some other girl calls you while you're out with another girl wouldn't be good. I prefer the small circle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.