Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
I am a long-time UNIX guy. Mac OS was never on my radar until the UNIX-based OS X was released...and I still never seriously considered purchasing one until the low-cost G4 mini's made their debut. I ditched the kids' linux boxes and got them each a mini, bought a mini for myself, and bought the wife a G5 iMac.

Post Intel transition...my kids have a CS mini and my wife has my "old" 1st gen Macbook. Currently, I have a thinkpad X60s with Ubuntu over here in the desert.

My wife and kids love iTunes and all the great multimedia "things" they can do with iLife. My kids have a wide range of educational software available to them (that was always the big issue when they used linux). However, even though I like the idea of those tools, more often then not, when I'm in front of a Mac, I'm staring at a couple of xterm windows and a web browser. And these days, Xen suits my virtualization needs far better than Parallels.

The funny thing is...while contemplating what new computer I will treat myself to when I get home from Iraq, the only real reason I'm wanting a Mac is FOR games! (specifically, Madden '08 (when it is released), World of Warcraft, and the upcoming StarCraft 2) I DO really like OS X's GUI, but for the most part, linux suits my needs perfectly.

So, count me as someone that will be purchasing a new Mac BECAUSE of games...not in spite of them. :)

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
With the focus on games opening the last Apple event I think tomorrow will have to bring good news for mac gamers!

ksolano

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Gears of War, Quake wars Zero & Enemy Territory, Starcraft 2, all the EA games, Rage & rumors of Crisis and COD4 coming..

That is a nice list of games to get excited for :)
My only question is: We need something to play these games on!?
So far the graphic cards that come in most mac are RUBBISH..

Bring out a Gamers Mac which isnt some 2k mac pro plz..
Maybe a gamers iMac Tomorrow??? Bring it on!! 4 the Horde!!!

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
I shouldn't Say this, but there are an array of Cider Games on the torrent sites, these are unofficial ports of games that are for PCs, and they actually work pretty well, also on the site is directions on how to port a game using cider, so if you wanted, you could buy any PC game and port it your self with cider, of course these would be intel only games.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Gears of War, Quake wars Zero & Enemy Territory, Starcraft 2, all the EA games, Rage & rumors of Crisis and COD4 coming..

That is a nice list of games to get excited for :)
My only question is: We need something to play these games on!?
So far the graphic cards that come in most mac are RUBBISH..

Bring out a Gamers Mac which isnt some 2k mac pro plz..
Maybe a gamers iMac Tomorrow??? Bring it on!! 4 the Horde!!!

We do need something decent to play them on. I personally don't think an iMac is a great gaming machine simply because of the lack of ability to upgrade it.

Fingers crossed and crossed again that they release a half size Mac Pro, maybe called 'Mac' that is a mid-range machine...and pigs might fly...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Part of the reason I got a PowerBook to replace my windows laptop, was to keep away from games. I was just entering university and needed to work 24/7. Then I got my iMac and installed Windows 2 years later, but I'd learned my lesson and don't play as much :)

They're getting much better in the way of games now. Still no HL2, but nevermind. I know that when I'm in the Mac OS I can't procrastinate as easily :D

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I am a long-time UNIX guy. Mac OS was never on my radar until the UNIX-based OS X was released...and I still never seriously considered purchasing one until the low-cost G4 mini's made their debut. I ditched the kids' linux boxes and got them each a mini, bought a mini for myself, and bought the wife a G5 iMac.

Post Intel transition...my kids have a CS mini and my wife has my "old" 1st gen Macbook. Currently, I have a thinkpad X60s with Ubuntu over here in the desert.

My wife and kids love iTunes and all the great multimedia "things" they can do with iLife. My kids have a wide range of educational software available to them (that was always the big issue when they used linux). However, even though I like the idea of those tools, more often then not, when I'm in front of a Mac, I'm staring at a couple of xterm windows and a web browser. And these days, Xen suits my virtualization needs far better than Parallels.

The funny thing is...while contemplating what new computer I will treat myself to when I get home from Iraq, the only real reason I'm wanting a Mac is FOR games! (specifically, Madden '08 (when it is released), World of Warcraft, and the upcoming StarCraft 2) I DO really like OS X's GUI, but for the most part, linux suits my needs perfectly.

So, count me as someone that will be purchasing a new Mac BECAUSE of games...not in spite of them. :)

Good luck over there in Iraq...glad you have something to look forward to on your return!

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Sorry I seem to be out of the loop...? What is coming out tommorow (tuesday) for Mac?

There is an Apple 'event' tomorrow. iMac's haven't been updated for a long, long time so we're guessing they'll be updated. Rampant speculation really!

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
tomorrow crysis on mac maybe ?? :p

would never happen i know, just a pathetic dream...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
tomorrow crysis on mac maybe ?? :p

would never happen i know, just a pathetic dream...

I wouldn't say it's a dream at all. EA are behind the publishing wheel, since they're using Cider I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Gaming as we know it won't be taken seriously on the Mac anytime in the near future. As much as I'd like that not to be true it is. Maybe we will be surprised, whatever they do they must do something different like Nintendo has done with the Wii.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
On the software front, Macs are starting to become a lot more flexible which is good. On the hardware front however... Macs are still pathetic for gaming.

Apple needs to release an iMac-like machine except in a normal tower form factor and no display, and of course, completely upgradeable much like the Mac Pro, except more affordable and meant for consumer use.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
100% agree. I have no idea why in gods name apple does not release a machine with specs such as :

-Core2 Duo processor
-Socket 775 system board with at least a single PCI-E 16x slot, maybe a couple smaller PCI-E slots and maybe a single PCI slot. Standard DDR2 slots and upgradability to say 8Gb of RAM.
-A tower case say 60% the size of the mac pro which will hold a single optical drive and 3 hard drives.
-Graphics card options during ordering which are the same as the Macpro minus the quadro option (maybe if they want to leave that to the macpro)

Everyone I've ever met is asking for such a machine.

On the software front, Macs are starting to become a lot more flexible which is good. On the hardware front however... Macs are still pathetic for gaming.

Apple needs to release an iMac-like machine except in a normal tower form factor and no display, and of course, completely upgradeable much like the Mac Pro, except more affordable and meant for consumer use.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
100% agree. I have no idea why in gods name apple does not release a machine with specs such as :

-Core2 Duo processor
-Socket 775 system board with at least a single PCI-E 16x slot, maybe a couple smaller PCI-E slots and maybe a single PCI slot. Standard DDR2 slots and upgradability to say 8Gb of RAM.
-A tower case say 60% the size of the mac pro which will hold a single optical drive and 3 hard drives.
-Graphics card options during ordering which are the same as the Macpro minus the quadro option (maybe if they want to leave that to the macpro)

Everyone I've ever met is asking for such a machine.

And be about 1500 dollars? What would be a good price?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
And be about 1500 dollars? What would be a good price?

Think iMac prices but make all that desktop components (as opposed to the more expensive mobile components the iMac uses) and remove the display and you get considerably more bang for the same buck and a great gaming machine that can actually be upgraded and used with any monitor without looking retarded.

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007

I am also a gamer and im doing the switch to mac because i cannot stand having to reformat every 6 months because windlows is taking a dump. Even if they do not release a tower model for us gamers we can alway hope for a iMac with a good DX10 card. It would be very important that Apple better their offering of Video cards. Gaming is coming to Mac and nobody can stop that.

BTW Thank you for your Service and take care over there in Iraq. I pray for you safe return :D

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY

Just because there are 4 games coming for the Mac, doesn't mean anything. They still ship with extremely out of date and/or low end video cards, that wouldn't hold up with any modern game. When they offer competitively priced versions of video cards that are easily swappable, and games that don't cost full retail 5 years after release. Then maybe it can be considered usable for gaming. They certainly aren't going to be considered for any serious gamer without the ability to customize at the very least video cards. It will be for casual gamers at best. If you want to game build a PC CHEAP, put a highend video card in and be done with it.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
IMHO Mac will never be a contender in the gaming world until they start offering a larger selection of graphics cards & at more realistic prices. I just checked the online store, & the only cards that you can have in a Mac Pro are the 7300 (not much better than integrated graphics) & the X1900XT (which was good, a year ago). Not to mention that Apple charge ludicrous prices for these low-end/outdated cards.

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
Well, I am a casual gamer who is not willing to give up my casual gaming. :)

I am certainly disappointed by the latest GPU offerings in the new iMacs. But if they play Madden '08, WoW, and Starcraft 2 reasonably well, I'll be happy.

(as a comparison, I happily played WoW (on reduced settings, of course) on my 1st gen 1.42Ghz G4 mini, 1.33Ghz G4 iBook (12"), and my 1st gen CD MacBook)

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
(as a comparison, I happily played WoW (on reduced settings, of course) on my 1st gen 1.42Ghz G4 mini, 1.33Ghz G4 iBook (12"), and my 1st gen CD MacBook)
Now it becomes obvious how you can think that Macs are okay for gaming - you thought that WoW ran 'happily' on a MacBook with Intel GMA950 graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.