Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
For what it does it's insanely expensive. Hopefully after the product matures a bit the price will drop too, i doubt it will sell a lot at it's current capabilities & price range, it's not that tempting to buy even if i had the money for it.

Insanely expensive for what it does? Jeez, I wonder what you think about all those watches that sell for several hundred or even thousands of dollars that do nothing more than tell time; and not nearly as accurately as an Apple Watch.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Someone is looking awfully prescient:

There are still two really interesting things to these rumors:

1) A hypochondriac like me will buy this the second it comes out. I already have a chest heart rate monitor, a prescription-only pulse oximeter, a glucose meter, a blood pressure machine, and a fancy thermometer. But I was under the impression that I am very, very odd. Apple wants to sell millions of things, not thousands. Who would be interested in this?

2) This device has been claimed to measure heart rate, blood oxygen, glucose, and even blood pressure (not in this report, but in others). The only device on the market that is wrist-exclusive and can accurately measure heart rate in motion is the Mio, which by itself starts at $99. There is no device small enough to be considered a wearable I've ever seen that measures blood pressure. And measuring glucose without taking blood seems like an out there thing. So:

1) Either all these rumors are wrong.

or

2) Apple really has come up with ground-breaking, amazing technology the world has never seen before. They won't come out with something that guesstimates glucose, pulse, or blood pressure. As large as Apple is, any such junky device would be derided in the media and investigated by the government.

So, my conclusion is they've either done something completely new that hasn't been done in healthcare before or these rumors are not true.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
How about something like this for north of 7 digits?

patek_philippe_ref_5002_frqgz.jpg

Patek-Philippe-Sky-Moon-Tourbillon-5002P.jpg

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Sorry to disappoint, but while I thought the leaked pics of the iPhone 4 were not pleasing and hoped it was fake, I've owned the 2G*, 3G, 4, 5S, and soon a 6.

*Even drop to the US to buy the 2G before the iPhone even came to Canada.

Only Samsung product I own is a TV.

dam you. Samsung TV is not available for conversation lol :cool:
they deserve no points!

Edit: because i own 3.

----------

I will.

Apple's second iPod was a runway hit, Apple got the iPhone right with iPhone 3G, and iPad 2 was the mega-hit.

If I ever get a watch, it will be the second generation.

Apple got the first iPhone right. the other two ill excuse. you're most certainly wrong about iPhone though.

and good for you for waiting, seriously, that means another customer to purchase/promote the best tech company in the world :apple:

----------

Nope, but I skipped iPhone and iPhone 3G.

I think the :apple:watch is a highly competitive device, but that isn't enough for me to want one. They can do more and I'm perfectly happy waiting until they do.

(I know your comment wasn't aimed at me, but I'm responding anyway ;) )

because tonight is such an amazing night I'm not going to argue with you and instead converse without a single sarcastic sentence. Apple could have executed the watch better, yes. the as ALL apple products, its a starting point. imagine what this crown will really be capable of when DEVs hit it. also imagine taptic engine when other awesome apps hit. so yes, you're right. the second will be "oh-so-much-better" but i think we should still reward Apple for introducing the monkey-wrench.

happy pre-launch day sir!

Last edited:

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I'm with you on that. I would be ecstatic if the device became thinner, battery lasted longer, or there were more sensors hidden underneath the watch. Underpromise and overdeliver!

Apple is smart to show it now and release it next year.

1. So that public can get used to it
2. So that no leaking is necessary
3. So that it can sue Samdung if they tried to copy
4. So that they have time to improve it
5. So that they know what are the public opinions and make changes if necessary
6. So that they can show a better product when released
7. So that there are more apps when released
8. So that there are more 3rd party bands, custom facetime, etc. when released.

fewlio

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
That's my first impression as well. But I think we were spoiled by subsidized phone prices. Just look around at regular electronic watches from likes of Casio and Swatch. Then this watch becomes quite a bargain.

----------

Yuck. I hate heart rate sensor around the chest. And it's > $500!!

----------

Actually, I find apple gadgets generally work pretty well for 4 to 5 years. Hence, the good resale value.

Chest strap gives accurate usable hr info (wrist does not). Also allows the system to work for swimmers and surfers in or under water. And the polar has GPS. As I said, as a health and training device it beats apple watch in every way.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
They should have gone round.. would fit their circle ui design language they are going for a whole lot more, and look how sexy this thing looks.

The thinness is still unaffordable for the current tech.

The round shape is only good for certain apps, but will look ugly when the apps requires square layout. The square shape can accommodate both round and square apps design.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Imagine all the gold plated revision 1 Apple watches in 3 years obsolete.

Absolutely true. Wonder where the watch tech will be at as a whole in 3 years from now. Being these are an accessory add on and they will sell tons of these, you probably will be able to snag these up used for pretty cheap after the NEW factor wears off. Or your robbed:eek:

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
It has a lot of potential as a health and fitness watch. Though It really needs at least the same features as this watch: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-620/prod122785.html

But when you do start comparing the prices of other health and fitness watches the price for the Apple Watch isn't that bad. Though I do feel it should have its on GPS and not rely on the phone. But at the same time that is not a "huge" deal for me as I will always take my phone with me on my workouts. You never know when you will have an emergency and you need to call someone. With my luck it would start happening as soon as I left my phone at home (I've one time had 3 flats on one long ride that I ran out of spare tubes so had to call someone).
The biggest complain for me is that it doesn't seem like it's going to have a 5ATM water rating, which means I can't use it for swimming.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Never buy a first gen Apple
Product !

Why? Based on my experiences with Apple's first gen products (below), I see no reason not to have faith that Apple Watch will deliver a brand new experience that will be gratifying, fun and at the very least, provide a glimpse of the future.

1. Newton - a lot of fun with lots of potential but not very useful. It didn't come into its own until MessagePad 2000.
2. iPod - Worked like a charm and I was immediately hooked. Scroll wheel was brilliant and FireWire made transferring songs a breeze. Took it everywhere with me.
3. iPhone - one of the most amazing tech gadgets ever... a quantum leap over all the so called smartphones of that time, including my blackberry, the standard by which all smartphones were measured.
4. iPad - silky smooth animations, super responsive, amazing experience to hold such a large screen in my hand and manipulate objects in real time

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
I will.

Apple's second iPod was a runway hit, Apple got the iPhone right with iPhone 3G, and iPad 2 was the mega-hit.

If I ever get a watch, it will be the second generation.

to add on from what i said earlier, that was MANY years ago. i think apple have improved from debuts. its 2014, Apple has every idea of what their doing on this watch.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Why? Based on my experiences with Apple's first gen products (below), I see no reason not to have faith that Apple Watch will deliver a brand new experience that will be gratifying, fun and at the very least, provide a glimpse of the future.

1. Newton - a lot of fun with lots of potential but not very useful. It didn't come into its own until MessagePad 2000.
2. iPod - Worked like a charm and I was immediately hooked. Scroll wheel was brilliant and FireWire made transferring songs a breeze. Took it everywhere with me.
3. iPhone - one of the most amazing tech gadgets ever... a quantum leap over all the so called smartphones of that time, including my blackberry, the standard by which all smartphones were measured.
4. iPad - silky smooth animations, super responsive, amazing experience to hold such a large screen in my hand and manipulate objects in real time

I found the iPad 1 to be as slow as molasses. It improved a lot speed wise with the second version.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I just don't get this category of device.

If it needs an iPhone to work, then what's the point? I might as well reach into my pocket and use my iPhone with the bigger screen and additional capability.

If the watch eventually gets LTE, then who is going to pay for a data a plan for a tiny watch screen?

The Apple Watch seems like just another expensive thing to buy, keep charged, repair, insure, lose, and replace when software is no longer supported.

I know. I know. People said the same thing about the iPhone and iPad. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

ousboui

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
all this scepticism reminds me of when Apple first announced ipad. Tablets had always been huge failures and commentators felt that ipad would be the same. How wrong they were!

it will turn out the same with the apple watch. Great innovation often solves problems people didn't even know they had, it doesn't necessarily give people what they think they want but it provides them with something that will actually make a differance and change the way they do things for the better.

Apple have made excellent decisions with the Watch, "it's a compelling beginning". Some people are disappointed that it's not all they hoped for. I personally feel that the unexpected innovations are far more than I ever dreamed of. We will look back in a few years and marvel at Apple's vision.

Even if we ignore all the technical features and just view it as a watch. Compare this to other watches in the $350 price range and nothing else comes close with respect to materials, build quality and design. It's beautiful. A work of art.

ksitko

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
I literally just wrote a short article about how this basically won't happen because that's just not the point of the device. More sensors could be useful for a sports niche, but I really do not see that as Apple's primary focus with the :apple:Watch.

Outside of that, the best uses for a broader band of sensing enters the medical space, and Apple is NOT a medical device company. I would be incredibly shocked if Apple went that route, as it would signal a significant business change.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Like it.

Hi, guys.

I was really disappointed when I first saw the Apple Watch. But in time the emotions settled and I really like them. We've all had absurd expectations. I won't buy the 1st gen but I definitelly buy the 2nd or 3rd and for my girlfriend too - eager to send/recieve heartbeat:). Yeah, that's just a gimmick. But If somebody develops an app which can analyze heartbeat and find anomalies (more sensitive sensors), heart defects like arrhythmia and inform you or your family member who has Apple Watch as well that's in my opinnion great. What can we really expect from another generations for sure:

1) Thinner ;)
2) Lighter
3) Anti-reflex coating
4) Longer battery life
5) More focused on health
6) More personal device

I really like Apple Watch and I would like to thank Apple because somebody finally invented such a personal device. Thanks, guys.

ksitko

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Hi, guys.
But If somebody develops an app which can analyze heartbeat and find anomalies (more sensitive sensors), heart defects like arrhythmia and inform you or your family member who has Apple Watch as well that's in my opinnion great.

The second someone uses an app to try to make a diagnosys of an arrhythmia two things will happen:

#1: The :apple:Watch becomes a medical device that needs to be approved by the FDA.

#2: That app becomes a medical device (yes really) that also needs to be approved by the FDA.

If there are medical implications and decision that are being driven by this device the FDA will shut it down until it has been proven to be ethical. 23andme learned that the hard way when people began to chose to have mastectomies based off of results.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
This is probably the most disappointing part of the iwatch. The lack of sensors. I'm cool with all day battery life, that doesn't bug me.

I completely understand the logic of starting out simple. It's been the same with most Apple products.

My guess is this: It already has more sensors than Apple is letting on.
It has 4 sensors on the back. Have you seen anything that requires 4 sensors just to get a heartbeat?
Also a clue was in the demo video that Jony Ive voiced, when it talked about the heart rate sensor, only 2 of the 4 round circle things lit up on the back of the watch.
I hope it reads oxygen saturation as well at the very least, but who know might also read blood sugar and if it did, would require FDA approval at the very least. It would be typical Apple not to show all their cards on this one until it is ready to ship...

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
This is an article a 2yr old could write.
It could be written after any technology product is released. Later versions always have more features? :rolleyes:

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
For what it does it's insanely expensive. Hopefully after the product matures a bit the price will drop too, i doubt it will sell a lot at it's current capabilities & price range, it's not that tempting to buy even if i had the money for it.

I don't think it's expensive at all.

Just look at analog watches of similar build quality, you're looking at even higher prices.

Not to mention all the tech in there, for a cheaper price? Come on. I don't get how anyone can think $350 is expensive for what you're getting.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
if anything this weird article just reeks of damage control after the general disappointment with this apple watch. I think people are wondering why apple can't innovate further than a fancy fashion accessory, with the money they have available.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
My guess is this: It already has more sensors than Apple is letting on.
It has 4 sensors on the back. Have you seen anything that requires 4 sensors just to get a heartbeat?
Also a clue was in the demo video that Jony Ive voiced, when it talked about the heart rate sensor, only 2 of the 4 round circle things lit up on the back of the watch.
I hope it reads oxygen saturation as well at the very least, but who know might also read blood sugar and if it did, would require FDA approval at the very least. It would be typical Apple not to show all their cards on this one until it is ready to ship...

It has 2 light emitting units on the back and 2 sensors to read the result and they are the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.