Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I’m not sure if Apple changed the material or something, but after a week of hard use of the white Magic Keyboard with my 12.9” iPad (travel, use every day, etc), this keyboard seems to collect way less dirt / oils from hands and other surfaces. Frankly the keyboard is spotless and seems like it may remain so for a long time. The material seems more resistant than last year’s keyboard. I am not sure if this is unique to the white model or if Apple changed up the keyboards this year. I highly recommend this white Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro users….

Mindfighter

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Agreed, my black 2020 started to look stained very quickly, the white 2021 still looks new (had it since day1). Would be interesting to hear if the black 2021 is more resistant as well (or not)

Reactions: johntw

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
The black 2021, in the very first days was dirty, and I have a lot of care with it.

I thougth that the White keyboard has a different material or different treatment because of it is a different colour. And maybe, because its white you can see less dirt/oil to.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It looks very good in person but it’s also a little bit grey - not really that white. 5FFF7019-50EC-4C55-8E86-07E43ABA1E58.jpeg

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
We see less smudges & dirt on white in general. You can compare white and black iPhone glass backs or screen bezels on previous iPad models. The same goes for white cars. FWIW, I have a white Smart Folio on my iPad and it looks great too.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
We see less smudges & dirt on white in general. You can compare white and black iPhone glass backs or screen bezels on previous iPad models. The same goes for white cars. FWIW, I have a white Smart Folio on my iPad and it looks great too.

Spot on I think. It probably comes down to just the effects of the white on us.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Disagree with white cars.

Reactions: VaruLV

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Totally this. Same material would collect dirt and grime the same. However, 9 times out of 10, lighter colors show the dirt less. Over many years, I have always selected white keyboards over black as they stay looking new for much longer. My last work keyboard was black but I changed the key caps to white. After 5 years of daily use, it still looks like new.

Reactions: Bea220 and one more

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I’m not sure if Apple changed the material or something, but after a week of hard use of the white Magic Keyboard with my 12.9” iPad (travel, use every day, etc), this keyboard seems to collect way less dirt / oils from hands and other surfaces. Frankly the keyboard is spotless and seems like it may remain so for a long time. The material seems more resistant than last year’s keyboard. I am not sure if this is unique to the white model or if Apple changed up the keyboards this year. I highly recommend this white Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro users….
Yeah, I noticed that too.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
How many guys get the white case?? Love the look

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I agree. My white case has gone several days without a smudge. The black one smudged on day 1. Not sure what they did, but this white material seems more stain resistant.

White = good guys, so I went with white. I've been a bad boy too long...

Reactions: kp98077

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Please, I would appreciate new comments about white MK durability compared with black model after some weeks of use. Still debating which one I should pick, although black model seems to be better suited for space grey ipad.

thanks!!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Please, I would appreciate new comments about white MK durability compared with black model after some weeks of use. Still debating which one I should pick, although black model seems to be better suited for space grey ipad.

thanks!!
I’ve been using my white magic keyboard since May 21st. I’ve not wiped it down at all and it still looks like new. No smudges, smears or shiny keys or touchpad.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I just bought a white Magic Keyboard today. It’s beautiful but I keep worrying that the the dye from my jeans will eventually stain the the cover. I still love it so far - it’s such a nice change from my other (black) keyboard.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I got a white one today too. Haven’t used it yet. But sill be taking it on a trip soon. Excited to try something new !!!

gohoomoa

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
Bought the white one and applied white skin, it literally like there is no skin at all and helps alot in keeping the MGK clean all the time

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well I had to make a choice, go with the white MK, and pass down my black, now blue skinned, 2020 MK, or put the money toward an AirPod Max. Well in the end I went with the Airpod Max as it was on sale at Amazon for $499.00 even before Prime Day for a couple of days! I still can’t figure that out about the discount?

I still like the looks of the white MK. If my 2020 MK dies I’ll probably replace it with the white MK.

Thanks for the pictures of the white MK!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.