Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Quick question on MDD PCI bus speed: everymac.com lists them as 33MHz, but on wikipedia it's listed as 66MHz. (Both list the XServe G4 models as 66MHz, though, which have the same architecture as the MDD.)

Which case is it for MDDs? And if the answer is "33MHz", can we use jumper settings or something to overclock it to 66MHz? I got a Voodoo 5 5500 Mac Edition card that would love to know.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Quick question on MDD PCI bus speed: everymac.com lists them as 33MHz, but on wikipedia it's listed as 66MHz. (Both list the XServe G4 models as 66MHz, though, which have the same architecture as the MDD.)

Which case is it for MDDs? And if the answer is "33MHz", can we use jumper settings or something to overclock it to 66MHz? I got a Voodoo 5 5500 Mac Edition card that would love to know.
Does the Mac 5500 have the PCI register set for 66mhz compatible?

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Does the Mac 5500 have the PCI register set for 66mhz compatible?
I have no idea. How may I check for that? All I can say is that the following text was added to Voodoo 5's wikipedia page:

"[...] the Mac Edition, which is only available for PCI, though could run in 66 MHz PCI slots [...]"

Incidentally, I wonder if someone still has what used to be hosted at the bottom of The Mac Elite downloads page, "Voodoo4FlashKit.zip". IIRC you actually look after that space, right, @DearthnVader?

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I have no idea. How may I check for that? All I can say is that the following text was added to Voodoo 5's wikipedia page:

"[...] the Mac Edition, which is only available for PCI, though could run in 66 MHz PCI slots [...]"

Incidentally, I wonder if someone still has what used to be hosted at the bottom of The Mac Elite downloads page, "Voodoo4FlashKit.zip". IIRC you actually look after that space, right, @DearthnVader?
I forgot my login to the Mac elite wiki long ago, and no one minds the store any more there, but, hey, it's still up and we have served tens of millions of card flashers over the years.

Anyway ReggieSE from CHUD Tools, click PCI and choose your Voodoo5 from the drop down device menu, then click the Status button and see if bit 10 for 66Mhz Capable is checked.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a typo, the MDD has 4 full length 64"BIT" PCI slots running at 33Mhz, so only 64bit cards can reach throughput levels near 266MB/s on the PCI bus.

You'd need a G3 B&W or a Yikes G4 to see if the Mac Voodoo 5 supports 66Mhz PCI. PC people say the PC version of the 5500 PCI does support 66Mhz, so there is hope, just not in an MDD.

But we could flash a PC 5500 AGP with the Mac Fcode ROM, and it will work at 66Mhz in the AGP slot of the MDD, but in PCI mode, not AGP mode, tho it's still near twice as fast as the 33Mhz slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubadub

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Guys, I have a request related to processor-swapping MDD CPU boards: would anyone be so kind as to link me, be it here or via PM, to Sonnet's MDX Duet 7447, Powerlogix' and newertechnology's MAXPower 7448 firmware updaters?

I'm working with an incredible guy who just succeeded in booting his MDD with a single 7448 (world's first 7448 MDD boot?! *cracks open beer*), using the Giga Designs firmware updater. However, it won't boot with dual CPUs enabled (disabling the 2nd CPU on OF bypasses the problem), including dual 7447s, the latter of which is something Sonnet's MDX updater should be able to handle. Access to the other 2 updaters mentioned above would also be great to make sure we don't lack any options or other resources.

Incidentally, if found, I'd also take the opportunity to create Macintosh Garden pages for each of them. These are important not just functionally, but also historically! So I'd personally also like to preserve them individually.

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Guys, I have a request related to processor-swapping MDD CPU boards: would anyone be so kind as to link me, be it here or via PM, to Sonnet's MDX Duet 7447, Powerlogix' and newertechnology's MAXPower 7448 firmware updaters?

I'm working with an incredible guy who just succeeded in booting his MDD with a single 7448 (world's first 7448 MDD boot?! *cracks open beer*), using the Giga Designs firmware updater. However, it won't boot with dual CPUs enabled (disabling the 2nd CPU on OF bypasses the problem), including dual 7447s, the latter of which is something Sonnet's MDX updater should be able to handle. Access to the other 2 updaters mentioned above would also be great to make sure we don't lack any options or other resources.

Incidentally, if found, I'd also take the opportunity to create Macintosh Garden pages for each of them. These are important not just functionally, but also historically! So I'd personally also like to preserve them individually.
I actually saw a dual 7448 MDD booting properly.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK

ohh a Dual 7448 MDD that sounds like fun :)

the Sonnet firmware updater can be found in their download page still

(it even contains patches for the 550/667Mhz to 1.2Ghz 7457 TiBook CPU upgrade trade in program they did)

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems to me, those offering, or with the skills to, do BGA rework, could make a nice living or a nice supplement to income, adding RAM/SSD to late model Intel machines had had "builtin" Ram and SSD's.

Assuming you could get supplies of RAM, and or SSD's that were compatible.

Reactions: repairedCheese

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
I don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems to me, those offering, or with the skills to, do BGA rework, could make a nice living or a nice supplement to income, adding RAM/SSD to late model Intel machines had had "builtin" Ram and SSD's.

Assuming you could get supplies of RAM, and or SSD's that were compatible.
I can get supplies of G4 and G5 cpus for swapping for cheap so… Also I can get lots of RAM for G4 and G5 PowerMacs. So I can offer a best possible ram upgrade to the cpu swap service. The new things I found to be able to swap and get a performance boost out of is the L3 cache. Swapping it for bigger one and also faster one(0,5GHz).

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017

(it even contains patches for the 550/667Mhz to 1.2Ghz 7457 TiBook CPU upgrade trade in program they did)

Thanks, that takes care of the Sonnet patch! Incidentally, the dual 7447 CPU issue has thankfully been fixed somehow even without this, so that's one concern less. But still, if someone also has the 7448 Powerlogix / newertechnology MAXPower patch, I'd be glad to know.

I actually saw a dual 7448 MDD booting properly.

Ooh, nice! So I assume what you saw also used interposer boards? Did you make it yourself, or was it someone else's work?

In preparation for the wonderful 7448-equipped MDD CPU boards (and 7457) that are to come, I have ordered today two different pure-copper "775" heatsinks to try out, that will hopefully fit correctly on the MDD. Things are still expected to take two months or so, but I'm reeeeaaaally looking forward to it. :) :cool:

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Thanks, that takes care of the Sonnet patch! Incidentally, the dual 7447 CPU issue has thankfully been fixed somehow even without this, so that's one concern less. But still, if someone also has the 7448 Powerlogix / newertechnology MAXPower patch, I'd be glad to know.

Ooh, nice! So I assume what you saw also used interposer boards? Did you make it yourself, or was it someone else's work?

In preparation for the wonderful 7448-equipped MDD CPU boards (and 7457) that are to come, I have ordered today two different pure-copper "775" heatsinks to try out, that will hopefully fit correctly on the MDD. Things are still expected to take two months or so, but I'm reeeeaaaally looking forward to it. :) :cool:
Yes it had interposer cards between cpu and daughterboard, but the thing is that the 744X series doesnt have L3 cache so i dont think the 7448 is that speedy as 7457 or more. Thats why i dont even bother putting them in the MDD.

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
I think a 7457 is closer to a 7447, which does have OS9 issues (but not insurmountable).

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
I think a 7457 is closer to a 7447, which does have OS9 issues (but not insurmountable).

What issues, exactly? Never had any processor-related issue on my 7447-equipped mini under OS 9. (Unless if Energy Saver being replaced by St. Clair's Sleeper was because of that.)

The only issue that I have heard of is that OS 9's Multiprocessing Folder's extensions have to be moved out of the Extensions folder if a 7447/7457/7448 is installed, making only 1 processor usable (which gives a dual 7455 a bit of a purpose, at least for Photoshop and whatever else that may use dual CPUs under OS 9).

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
What issues, exactly? Never had any processor-related issue on my 7447-equipped mini under OS 9. (Unless if Energy Saver being replaced by St. Clair's Sleeper was because of that.)

The only issue that I have heard of is that OS 9's Multiprocessing Folder's extensions have to be moved out of the Extensions folder if a 7447/7457/7448 is installed, making only 1 processor usable (which gives a dual 7455 a bit of a purpose, at least for Photoshop and whatever else that may use dual CPUs under OS 9).
Well I guess for the guys who want to use OS 9 only is a single CPU daughterboard a onlye possibility if they want to go for something newer than 7455. For example a Single 7457 or 7447 or 7448. I can make those also no problem.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Dual CPUs is possible in OS 9

I believe sonnet provided a patched CPU plugin for their 7447A upgrades
They did? I mean, I hope so. All I know is a post I saw from MacTron in MacOS9Lives stating that it didn't (and he's a Sonnet MDX owner)...

But even if it doesn't work, there must be a way to patch the Multiprocessing extensions, as well... But until then, I'm keeping a couple of dual 7455 MDD CPU cards, just in case... Will be able to confirm later, in a month or two, once all my processors arrive.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018

I have a 1Ghz titanium - will this work to increase the PPC chip to over 1.2 or higher ?

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Daystar(XLR8) also made a CPU Plugin for their 7457 upgrade for the FP iMac.

I'm having issues with bringing 7457/7447a out of deep sleep so I was wondering if 7457 upgrades were able to sleep under OS 9( and wake up ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.