Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
hmmmm....lets give this a go...

edit: certainly seems snappier on my iMac, which now makes it MUCH faster than Safari, seeing as the "regular" Firefox has always been faster anyway. Good stuff! :cool:

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
G4 version seems to run quite well. Placebo effect, perhaps, but I don't think so. It's not much faster in normal operation, but when first starting it seems to have taken a couple of seconds off.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, so here was going too come the stupid question...which G4s are 7450s and which G4s are 7400s? In particular, a iBook G4 / 800 of Dec. 03 vintage? :eek:

But...I found this:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_processor/powerpc7400.html

Now, the stupid*er* question...how do I round? :D I'm assuming a 7457 is a 7450 class processor...so just out of curiousity, what's the 7445 in the previous iMac? A 7400 or a 7450? Silly silly...

Einherjar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
It just edges out Camino when loading most stuff--which is basically instantaneous, complete drawing of most pages the second I click--going from Google to Fark to MacBytes takes just over 3 seconds at most--click(ld)click(lded)click(looaded).

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Hoef said:
Are you guys sure that this is not a scam to turn your machine into a spam robot? (many PC years left me too paranoid, I guess :eek: )
Well, if you're that worried about it, you could always download the original source code, check the MD5 signature, then compile it yourself on your machine. You'll have to modify the original compiler options to get the most out of it, especially on a G5. On a G5 you'd want to us the "-fast" compiler option.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Well, I DLed the G5 version thinking, "eh, it won't really be different, but i like trying new toys. :) "

I was wrong!!!! Holy crap this thing is FAST. It's unbelievable. It's so much faster than either regular firefox or safari that I'm probably going to go from a safari/firefox dual setup to this new version only.

I don't know about the G4 version, but if you have a G5, you seriously have to try it. It FLYS. Thanks to the guy who created it!

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
WOW!, the G5 version is so fast!!1!!1! I am saying goodbye to safari, (expect for site that don't work in Firefox)

Get this version if you have a G5, it is FAST!

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, very nice. Lombard w/G4 Daystar upgrade on dial up. Though I prefer Omniweb's handling of tabs to the side and firefox needs to move the close tab button to the actual tab itself.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So...I haven't really used Firefox on MacOS much yet, so I'm sadly lacking in comparisons. It seems less snappy on a lot of things to me than Safari on my iBook G4/800, especially in terms of tab navigation. Is there something I might be missing?

OTOH, the one site left that doesn't work on Safari works in Firefox...a stupid java applet chat room.... I don't really understand why they use the same plug-in and it only works on one of them....

But now I'm torn. ;)

kustere

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2004
Australia
Nermal said:
It makes you wonder whether the so-called 'editors' actually edit :rolleyes:

I thought that I had actually put the link in with 'and' rather than 'ang', oh well. Too many other good stuff on the net to read to worry about a little 'ang'. Maybe I had the feeling of angst and my subconscious made me type it :)

pko

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2004
running a dual g5, and the optimized build of firefox is noticeably faster than safari. i installed it just for the heck of it, ive never even considered firefox before, but i wanted to see if how fast it would run on my machine and it delivers.

im also very impressed by this browser because of all the cool plug-in extensions you can add. the beauty of open-source eh?

i'm considering switching browsers..only if there's a solution to the middle mouse button not opening links in new tabs like in safari. i'm too accustomed to that feature and it's something that i'm not willing to give up.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Yes - the G5 version is faster. I think Mac OS Tiger supports fat binaries, so hopefully Apple will be able to provide G5-optimized versions of Safari and their other apps. I can't see them doing it any other way other than with fat binaries, as having to separate download version would just be too confusing for people and too much hassle to administer.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
hopefully apple makes safari 1.3 optimized for the g4 and g5 for 10.3 and 10.4. I'll try this firefox optimized version and report later.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I have downloaded the G4 version and seems to be running a bit snappier than before and than safari, maybe it's just me, I'll continue with safari and firefox as a little help, I like to spread the subjects I browse... Waiting for an update for Camino.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
G5 version very convincing.

I've been trying it out for about 2 days now and it is at least 10% faster in everything vs. Safari and normal Firefox version. I have been able to test several websites and Firefox G5 is faster in rendering most if not all of them.
:) I am currently swithing all my bookmarks manually over to this version and see how it goes.

update: the only website so far that is faster in Safari is not surprisingly, the apple site.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I've been trying the G4(7450) build today.
There was noticeable speed gain compared to Mozilla 1.7.
Firefox loads a bit quicker, but I never closes the browser so it don't matter..

Also all my bookmarks is in Mozilla..

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Whoever ran across this one, thanks for the news submission.

Will check out the g5 version tonite, and the g4 version later.

If it crashes a lot, it won't be any different from the 'normal' OS X version, so I won't mind-- I'll take the daily FF crashes (in OS X but not XP strangely) any day over sluggish camino and safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.