Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aliquis

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2004
Utah
Suck man. I never opt to take my compies into service centers. Seriously, you never know what nimrod who really doesn't care about your machine, or what type of enforcement of policy or lack of the said shop has. I always ask to have my machine sent in. Apple then sends me a box, which I promptly pack and have DHL pick up. Then it goes to Apple where quality control seems to be higher top-notch, most parts (if not all) are right there and they fix it fast, quality, and ship back equally fast.

My 2 cents for anyone in the future- if you have the option, it makes more sense to me than weeks at some repair center where the employees may be underqualified or under-don't care.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Wow Apple!!!

Finally after some 6 weeks Apple has sent me a new computer. Apple Retail store actually fixed my computer after a month but by this time I was very pissed to say the least.

While the computer seemed to work perfectly fine my Apple Care case manager actually called me back the day after I had picked up my machine and made an offer I could not refuse. Apple actually was willing to take my repaired machine back and give me a new one. Since they had no new Dual 2.5Ghz machines to offer me I had the option of choosing a Dual 2.7 or Quad 2.5 Power Mac.

So here I am sitting in awe at my new $4000 PowerMac they threw in the 7800GT to match my CTO 6800GT in the old machine and gave me 2GB of RAM even though my original machine was ordered with only the stock 512. I only spent $2700 for my Dual 2.5 with Developers discount a year ago and now I have a brand new $4000 machine. I love Apple..... I really really do.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Little Endian said:
Finally after some 6 weeks Apple has sent me a new computer. Apple Retail store actually fixed my computer after a month but by this time I was very pissed to say the least.

While the computer seemed to work perfectly fine my Apple Care case manager actually called me back the day after I had picked up my machine and made an offer I could not refuse. Apple actually was willing to take my repaired machine back and give me a new one. Since they had no new Dual 2.5Ghz machines to offer me I had the option of choosing a Dual 2.7 or Quad 2.5 Power Mac.

So here I am sitting in awe at my new $4000 PowerMac they threw in the 7800GT to match my CTO 6800GT in the old machine and gave me 2GB of RAM even though my original machine was ordered with only the stock 512. I only spent $2700 for my Dual 2.5 with Developers discount a year ago and now I have a brand new $4000 machine. I love Apple..... I really really do.

Wow, great story. Very happy for you. Enjoy your new machine :)

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
FFTT said:
Your machine may not only end up being studied, but end up as evidence in legal matters.

The original cooling system manufacturer has filed for bankruptcy, because of this issue.

I PMed you with a few details of things to consider.

You wont be able to transfer any of your hardware upgrades to the newest dual core machine if they go PCI-e DDR2 RAM or SATAII.

Wishing you the best fortune in this situation.

IF you get a replacement 2.7......

You might want to slap on a MR.YUCK sticker. :D

lol - delphi did not file bankruptcy because of this. that's just funny.

Anyhew, glad to here that there was a good resolution to it all. I'm assuming you picked the quad, right?

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
mkaake said:
lol - delphi did not file bankruptcy because of this. that's just funny.

Anyhew, glad to here that there was a good resolution to it all. I'm assuming you picked the quad, right?

Of course I picked the Quad over the dual 2.7Ghz machine. It's a no brainer however I did consider asking for a Dual Core 2.3 as it is not liquid cooled and I'm kinda wary of Apple's Liquid Cooling system. Quad still uses liquid cooling and it is still supplied by Delphi. I decided to go for the quad as I figured either way whatever I ask for it will be free so I asked for the best. I was gonna ask them to throw in the Quadro FX 4500 but I thought that was pushing it.

Coolant Leaking is rare enough so the odds of it happening to me again are slim. Hopefully Apple and or Delphi improved the LCS as well. My Quad 2.5 is much quieter than the Dual 2.5 and it runs cooler too. Temperature Monitor reports cooler temps for all sensors so perhaps this indicates improvements in cooling if not leak proofing.

I noticed that there is no Memory Controller Heat sink sensor listed anymore as was the case for my Dual 2.5 There is a new sensor listed as a KODIAK DIODE? whatever it means it most closely corresponds (in temp) to the Memory controller sensor and never exceeds 65C/150F which is the hottest it gets in the case even under heavy loads. The only thing that gets hotter is the 7800GT sensor but that's a given. My old Dual 2.5 could see as high as 180F for the Memory controller.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
Little Endian said:

Good Ending. I had a similar thing happen to me with my powerbook. I was so excited on my way to the Apple store I went down the wrong way of a one way street.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
MacTruck said:
All of thes LC macs will look in due time, its a fact of the technology.

I'm curious to know what this fact is based on.

Liquid cooling is FAR from a new technology. It's been used in computers for decades.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Aliquis said:
Suck man. I never opt to take my compies into service centers. Seriously, you never know what nimrod who really doesn't care about your machine, or what type of enforcement of policy or lack of the said shop has. I always ask to have my machine sent in. Apple then sends me a box, which I promptly pack and have DHL pick up. Then it goes to Apple where quality control seems to be higher top-notch, most parts (if not all) are right there and they fix it fast, quality, and ship back equally fast.
Well, the first time I sent my PowerBook in, it came back with about 5 feet of WiFi and Bluetooth range. I had to send it back in so they could fix their flub-up.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
devman said:
I'm curious to know what this fact is based on.

Liquid cooling is FAR from a new technology. It's been used in computers for decades.

Umm, it's a radiator and in time they all leak whether its 1 year or 20 yrs it will leak eventually. It could leake from the hoses or the grill but it will leak somewhere. The G5 LCS is not old enough yet, give it time. I am sure though that someone will make a repair kit for it.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
MacTruck said:
Umm, it's a radiator and in time they all leak whether its 1 year or 20 yrs it will leak eventually. It could leake from the hoses or the grill but it will leak somewhere. The G5 LCS is not old enough yet, give it time. I am sure though that someone will make a repair kit for it.

Hmm, ok. Well as you said then

MacTruck said:
its (sic) a fact of the technology. Get ready for lots more of these posts.

We better get ready for 1 year or 20 yrs or eventually... :D

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Apple Care is a must for any Power Mac with LCS. My machine had Applecare though my repair was done within the first year factory warranty. Before sending the machine back to Apple in Cupertino it was repaired by my local Apple Retail store. The repair although free would have costed $2,326.15 not including tax.

Hopefully Apple or some third party makes a Kit to service these machines affordably somewhere down the road. Unfortunately the LCS is integrated onto the processors in such away that they cannot be removed from each other. The LCS module actually has the CPU daughter card soldered to it. The LCS with the CPU daughter card costs $625 alone.

A replacement MOBO from Apple is currently the most expensive thing to replace in a G5 costing $873.44. My Mobo was replaced for longevity and safety concerns as it came in contact with coolant but was still functional.
These are today's prices not to mention Apple Prices so hopefully later down the road these components whether from Apple or a third party will be much cheaper. Apple Care is still a must though I hate to think how bad things could have been for me had this happened after the first year with no Apple care.

I accept the fact that theses LCS machines won't be like the Quadras of the 68K days or the old 604 PowerPC PowerMacs that are still working happily on all original components after some 10+ years. What I do expect is that these machines provide at least 5-7 years of use before the LCS needs servicing.

I hope that my case was isolated and at least I am safe for the next three years. How reliable the LCS proves 2-3 years down the road is anyones guess and could greatly effect resale value. I am hoping though that Apple thought long and hard about this before going the LCS route. The last thing they need is masses of LC G5 users having machines leaking right out of warranty. Apple could and would face Class Action lawsuits not to mention other liabilities concerning fire and chemical hazards produced by these machines.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
MacTruck said:
Well, it really depends on how it's constructed. If it's completely welded (and welded well), with no hoses (and there aren't any from what I've seen), it should be fine unless there's corrosion or a loose connection.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Counterfit said:
Well, it really depends on how it's constructed. If it's completely welded (and welded well), with no hoses (and there aren't any from what I've seen), it should be fine unless there's corrosion or a loose connection.

Besides leaking the coolant pump also concerns me. Pumps fail anyone whose had a Car should know that. Water Pumps in cars can easily fail in about five years under heavy use and they never last longer than 10 years or so. Sure the pump in the G5's LCS probably works differently from car water pumps but it came across my mind, perhaps an aquarium pump is more comparable but they fail even sooner than car water pumps. I think I'm worrying to much now:confused:

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Little Endian said:
Besides leaking the coolant pump also concerns me. Pumps fail anyone whose had a Car should know that. Water Pumps in cars can easily fail in about five years under heavy use and they never last longer than 10 years or so. Sure the pump in the G5's LCS probably works differently from car water pumps but it came across my mind, perhaps an aquarium pump is more comparable but they fail even sooner than car water pumps. I think I'm worrying to much now:confused:
I wouldn't be surprised if the system is powered by convection, so a pump wouldn't be necessary. I haven't gotten a good look at the system myself, so I can't say what it uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.