Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
So spikey's head didn't explode?

Ok, there's no need to say that "we lot" know nothing about PCs. I do my research. I refer you to a previous post in which I stated as well that Athlons are superior to Pentiums. I don't think you'll find anyone who knows what they are talking about who will disagree. However, the G4 is more advanced than that. The x86 architecture is not as efficient as the RISC architecture. The G4 is the most advanced chip in a PC today. This is NOT accepted blindly because Jobs said so. Even the Itanium uses a RISC-like architecture. Yeah, PCs and Macs both have things that they do better, but from where I sit as a student (and a developer), the only thing that PCs do better is gaming. Which is only a very small part of a computer's usefulness. I suppose I could have said as a developement platform, but now with OS X you get the mainstream languages: C, C++, and Java to name a few. So, getting back on topic, when the G5 comes out, which if the rumors are right will demolish the Itanic, perhaps poeple will begin to see more accurately that the Mac is a serious platform with a lot to offer, to more than just graphic designers.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
why would they move the chip down to 64 bit?? that would be dumb-might as well buy a pentium
you are wrong,G4 is a 32 bit processort in all apps which doesn't use altivec
g4 is actually a stupid thing,i think they should make .if possible processor faster in all applications,g4 867 is in normal life slower then pentium on the same frequency

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
why would they move the chip down to 64 bit?? that would be dumb-might as well buy a pentium
you are wrong,G4 is a 32 bit processort in all apps which doesn't use altivec
g4 is actually a stupid thing,i think they should make .if possible processor faster in all applications,g4 867 is in normal life slower then pentium on the same frequency

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
im a ****ing prude

Agreed the G4 is better at alot of things like graphic design, but firstly it is not as good at it as steve jobs makes it out to be at expos.... and secondly gaming is not just a small part of what people use computers for, infact it is one of the biggest selling points of a computer to any dumbass member of the ****ing public.
Ok, sum of you lot know a bit about PCs. ;) ........but dont get all cocky, i still have a nicer penis than you.
Another thing is the deal with you zealots who review Mac Vs Pentium arse on geek sites like ZDnet. The average mac user knows nothing about PCs because they are closed minded pig-****ers.
The reason Macs arent compared to Athlons is not because of the average PC user ****ing Pentiums up th arse. Dont you think there would be 3 way battles at mac expos (mac, pentium, athlon) if that were true. It is infact because Athlons are overall better chips than the G4.
In any case i would like to know which knobhead zealots of you actually believe G4=2.x Ghz P4 arse.
Come off it people think for yourselves for once in your sad lives.
The simple fact is PCs are better at gaming than Macs, and its not like Macs dont have potential because they do. Their chips could be great at fps in quake (the gamecube uses a powerpc based architecture).
But the simple fact is, there arent enough games available for the mac, they dont come soon enough after the PC launch. And it is infact no wonder when you see the fps ratings of a G4.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
spikey is right

i agree with spikey,but i think he should come down,some day,maybe,the macs we'll be equal or better from pc's,dont get me wrong,but right now i am feeling like a user of retarded computer

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
thank u hendrix....our god

Thank u megaquad u have sum sense.
infact u r sligtly intelligent and think for yourself
it is nice to see
i am not trying to say macs are *****, just that right now they aint the best value for money.
however i have a feeling the G5 might change all that.

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Anyone else find it difficult to take some of these posts seriously? I find the lack of any grammatical skills makes it rather difficult. My grammar is not flawless, but I give it a try. It isn't that hard.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by JoyBoy
Anyone else find it difficult to take some of these posts seriously? I find the lack of any grammatical skills makes it rather difficult. My grammar is not flawless, but I give it a try. It isn't that hard.

my gramer and spelung are impekibel

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by john123
Originally posted by JoyBoy

my gramer and spelung are impekibel

"me fail engulush...that's unpossible"

WindexMonkey

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2001
Minn
when it comes down to it

Now if you want the GREASTEST performance from a gaming machine get a Dreamcast or a GameCube in November.........You don't need to worry about framerates or slowdown.(And the Game Cube even has a bit of Mac in it)

And Finally look at your G4 or other Mac and be just be glad its a Mac.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Re: thank u hendrix....our god

Originally posted by spikey
it is nice to see
i am not trying to say macs are *****, just that right now they aint the best value for money.

I would disagree about the best machine for the money, because the lack of hassle that my mac has put me through compared to my old PC's is worth the extra dough. So is a better, more efficient OS, and everything else that makes a mac better that doesn't have to do with performance. (ie...design, looks, features(adc, firewire)) It's not that I don't know enough to solve my problems with my PC, it's just that they are there in the first place.

-Pete

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: thank u hendrix....our god

it is nice to see
yeah... i hope.. maybe.. some day.. but i dont se how..
if this situation continues for a next few years I'll considerate buying of pc :(
but,in my heart,i'll always be an mac user

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: Re: thank u hendrix....our god

Originally posted by ptrauber
it is nice to see

I would disagree about the best machine for the money, because the lack of hassle that my mac has put me through compared to my old PC's is worth the extra dough. So is a better, more efficient OS, and everything else that makes a mac better that doesn't have to do with performance. (ie...design, looks, features(adc, firewire)) It's not that I don't know enough to solve my problems with my PC, it's just that they are there in the first place.

-Pete
yeah,i hate windows,but windows xp might change all that,design,ok,but xp aint that bad,features? what damn features has mac and win's doesn't?
firewire? what about internal space for cdrw etc.?
what about pci and agp ports? (g4 has them,imac dont)
problems,it seems to me that win xp will be okay

what i hate in my g3 350 mhz iMac:
-when i come home with cd audio from my frend it encodes at 0.6-2.4x speed,that is sad..
-i cant put fullscreen visualization of music in high fps's
-i cant come home and watch an DivX movie,i have some 320x240 star trek voyager episodes and i barely can view them
-i cant play new games well... (yeah,my freakin' rage 128) and there isnt enough mac games anyway... :(
-mac os 9 is 10 times slower then win's
-and many other things.

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Re: Re: Re: thank u hendrix....our god

Originally posted by Megaquad
it is nice to see

-Pete
yeah,i hate windows,but windows xp might change all that,design,ok,but xp aint that bad,features? what damn features has mac and win's doesn't?
firewire? what about internal space for cdrw etc.?
what about pci and agp ports? (g4 has them,imac dont)
problems,it seems to me that win xp will be okay

what i hate in my g3 350 mhz iMac:
-when i come home with cd audio from my frend it encodes at 0.6-2.4x speed,that is sad..
-i cant put fullscreen visualization of music in high fps's
-i cant come home and watch an DivX movie,i have some 320x240 star trek voyager episodes and i barely can view them
-i cant play new games well... (yeah,my freakin' rage 128) and there isnt enough mac games anyway... :(
-mac os 9 is 10 times slower then win's
-and many other things.
1) How do you know WIndows XP "aint that bad", it isn't even out yet. What makes you think Microsoft is suddenly going to make an outstanding OS? They don't need to, they already make the crappiest OS out there and still at the end of the day they do control 90% of the market. You want a feature that Mac OS has Windows doesn't? How about some ****ing usability. Knowing everytime I use my computer it is a friendly experience not one filled with fear of crash, vomit inducing GUI and overall ******ness. There's a damn feature for you.
2) The iMac will never have any PCI slots, it's a consumer machine...you want expandability, get a G4, it is that simple.
3) If you want to do things faster, play new games well, GET A FASTER COMPUTER. You can't expect a 350mhz G3 with a outdated Rage128 w/ a skimpy 8mb of VRAM to play games at high framerates.
4) Mac OS 9 for one is not slower than Windows, the hardware is. Besides, Mac OS 9 isn't the future of the platform anyways.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
u r stupid

A mate of mine has ot a Beta or "test" of XP. He says it is great, and yes he has tried linux, OS9, windows, and i think also some kind of RISC OS....so he aint dumb. And anyway, who are you to say XP wont be any good? cos stranger things have happened than microsoft building a good OS.
In comparison to windows, OS9 is ****, it is underpowered and delivers hardly any perfomance. but as you say OSX is the future platform and it will be great v.soon.
As for pci slots, even on a consumer machine upgradability is essential, and you dont get that in an imac. However in consumer PCs you do get huge upgradability and for a cheaper price.
What you do pay for in a G4, is a better processor. You should not have to pay for upgradability because it costs apple virtually nothing to put it in a machine.
The reason why i think the G5 will change everything is because every pc manufacturer is going 64 bit with a processor of theirs, however windows XP 64 bit is not fully backwards compatible with 32 bit apps.
This, my macintosh mates, is where the compatibility of the mac platform will mean that the G5 will get the most out of OSX, while a 64 bit PC chip will get **** all out of XP.
Another thing is intel released their itanium at 800Mhz and they are being caught out by their own marketing Mhz myth.
But the most important thing is that PC 64 bit chips are gonna be aimed at servers and not consumers, while the G5 will be aimed at high end consumers or professionals. so apple is bringing a better chip to a wider market.
and so concludes my explanation on why the sky isnt red and we are all colour blind, life is however like a used condom because its ****ed up.

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Re: u r stupid

A mate of mine has ot a Beta or "test" of XP. He says it is great, and yes he has tried linux, OS9, windows, and i think also some kind of RISC OS....so he aint dumb. And anyway, who are you to say XP wont be any good? cos stranger things have happened than microsoft building a good OS.
In comparison to windows, OS9 is ****, it is underpowered and delivers hardly any perfomance. but as you say OSX is the future platform and it will be great v.soon.
As for pci slots, even on a consumer machine upgradability is essential, and you dont get that in an imac. However in consumer PCs you do get huge upgradability and for a cheaper price.
What you do pay for in a G4, is a better processor. You should not have to pay for upgradability because it costs apple virtually nothing to put it in a machine.
The reason why i think the G5 will change everything is because every pc manufacturer is going 64 bit with a processor of theirs, however windows XP 64 bit is not fully backwards compatible with 32 bit apps.
This, my macintosh mates, is where the compatibility of the mac platform will mean that the G5 will get the most out of OSX, while a 64 bit PC chip will get **** all out of XP.
Another thing is intel released their itanium at 800Mhz and they are being caught out by their own marketing Mhz myth.
But the most important thing is that PC 64 bit chips are gonna be aimed at servers and not consumers, while the G5 will be aimed at high end consumers or professionals. so apple is bringing a better chip to a wider market.
and so concludes my explanation on why the sky isnt red and we are all colour blind, life is however like a used condom because its ****ed up.

Titling your reply "u r stupid" is similar to the way my 13 year old brother types and well doesn't make a lot of sense...which kind of goes a long with your posts.

Well, stranger things may have happened, but so far MS building a good OS hasn't and with good reason. They have no need to improve on their products because their user base will settle for mediocre, I'll wait til' I use XP before I take your "mate's" word for it...even though he "aint dumb". Notice how MS products for the Mac don't suck...because we won't settle for ****. Which I like.
Also, I don't really believe consumer machines need lots of upgradibility. I bought my parents an iMac and it works great for them. They have no use for PCI cards or internal drives of any kind. They're perfect examples of "Joe Consumer".
With that said, I do think you were somewhat on the right track though...at least with the pricing. Apple doesn't offer a low priced upgradable machine. I guess the G4's aren't that expensive, but like you said an upgradable PC is much much cheaper than an upgradable Mac. I'm not so sure the iMac needs any expandability...that doesn't mean the platform doesn't need a low priced expandable computer though.
I hope Microsoft does dig themselves a hole such as the one you attempted to describe.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
u r stupid

ok gayboy, dont get all excited about it. no need for a hardon now is there?
The reason why the mac MS products dont suck is not because we dont put up with it. It is because a) they have a seperate team for mac products who know something about computers.......and b) it is not all microsoft products that suck, it is the windows platform that does. Which is why the products like MS office are ok but windows crashes while you use it.
Also consumer products do need upgradability because the consumer doesnt want to pay out money for a whole new computer when only their sound or graphics cards need updating. which is the problem with the imac.
I am waiting to reserve judgement on XP myself, but without doubt, the PC 64 bit chip with XP, will not be as good as G5 with OSX.
As a 32 bit OS, XP might be fine though.

by the way, i take it u dont really appreciate my comments joyboy? ;)

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001

The reason why the mac MS products dont suck is not because we dont put up with it. It is because a) they have a seperate team for mac products who know something about computers.......and b) it is not all microsoft products that suck, it is the windows platform that does. Which is why the products like MS office are ok but windows crashes while you use it.
Also consumer products do need upgradability because the consumer doesnt want to pay out money for a whole new computer when only their sound or graphics cards need updating. which is the problem with the imac.
I am waiting to reserve judgement on XP myself, but without doubt, the PC 64 bit chip with XP, will not be as good as G5 with OSX.

Ok guys, stop the personal attacks. They're getting old. I don't have real beef with MS products other than windows, but I do have a problem with paying 500+ for Office. I know that most of you pirate it, so this doesn't effect you, but paying that much is outrageous for a mediocre group of programs. I have yet to see Office X, and I just hope that it wont be that expensive. (fat chance)

Consumer products DON'T need huge amounts of upgradeability because you, myself and most of the people on this forum aren't average consumers. Working in a computer store, you come to realize that the average consumer knows NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS, and would rather get a new one in 3 years than replace a video or sound card. Most of the time they don't realize the advantages that replaceing those components will have, so they just wait until the computer is not usable and go get a new one. That is why the iMac is so nice. You could always get an external DVD or CDRW to expand when needed, but since most people dont care about excellent video or sound...they dont need PCI slots or AGP ports to confuse them. The iMac defined what a consumer computer should be. Small, compact, simple, excellent out of the box for a couple of years, and nice looking.

-Pete

P.S. The Itanium with XP won't even be as good as a G4 with X. I still can't believe that you're defending PC's against macs like this. What about Sony offering only one RAM slot in some of their computers? Even an iMac has two. What about the smaller HP's that have only 1 or 2 free PCI slots instead of the G4's 4? What about the quality of compaq-made components that fizzle out after the warrantee expires, while most mac users hav their original equipped computers for more than 3 years? Try to find a PC that comes standard with a digital display out as compared to a G4 that comes with ADC standard.

[Edited by ptrauber on 08-26-2001 at 02:13 PM]

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
suck my cock, plz

although i am not an average consumer i still use a consumer mac, an imac.Because alot of geeks like me cant always afford a G4 and have to settle with an imac. another thing is i know tutors and lecturers that know nothing about PCs and yet they still look for upgradability in a computer. The point is u can still make an imac upgradable and give the consumer the choice whether they want to upgrade or not.
Although the imac doesnt need 4 pci slots,AGP blah, etc, it does need like a few more than it has. so while it can remain small and compact it can also have a bit of upgradability to attract the consumer.
The reason the imac is not upgradable is not because of consumer being dumb it is because it is meant to be small,compact, simple, easy to use (the whole idea of an all in one).....the more upgrade slots u have means the more space you need for them. And also the more cards you have means the more heat given off, and that means the better ventilation you need, which is hard to achieve in an all-in-one.
I say make the imac upgradable, then if u want to upgrade u can. and if u dont know how to then u carry on buying a whole new one as u used to do. as long as the imac remains compact
However u r right about office being way too expensive.

[Edited by spikey on 08-26-2001 at 02:19 PM]

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
yeah u r right

i suppose u r right, i have been getting pissed off lately.
so i apologize.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Re-read my last post...I was editing it while you replied Spikey. It sounds like someone here has a case of the "I'm always right" syndrome. Well Spikey, I don't care who you might know, but after spending a year in the computer retail business, I think that I know what the average consumer is and what they want. So please don't just come out and say that I'm wrong when you only believe that I am without any proof or major experience whatsoever. It comes down to Macs are better at Graphics, Sound, Video, advanced calculations and computations(same thing?), and overall ease of use. PC's can play games at marginally higher frame rates, and can open excel faster. I'll choose the mac...spikey, have fun with your PC's and thier inferior OS and that damn registry.

-Pete

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
not entirely...

Re-read my last post...I was editing it while you replied Spikey. It sounds like someone here has a case of the "I'm always right" syndrome. Well Spikey, I don't care who you might know, but after spending a year in the computer retail business, I think that I know what the average consumer is and what they want. So please don't just come out and say that I'm wrong when you only believe that I am without any proof or major experience whatsoever. It comes down to Macs are better at Graphics, Sound, Video, advanced calculations and computations(same thing?), and overall ease of use. PC's can play games at marginally higher frame rates, and can open excel faster. I'll choose the mac...spikey, have fun with your PC's and thier inferior OS and that damn registry.

-Pete

I, too, logged my own one year in retail selling computers (not Macs though), so I'll agree with your sentiments regarding the average consumer and their lack of knowledge.

But, you're not entirely correct on what Macs are better at. For professionals who are interested in "advanced calculations and computations," the Mac pretty much loses compared to your average PC -- which is why my department went and bought a dual processor PC. Granted, that's a function of the quality of the programming, but your "number crunchers" have grown up on UNIX workstations and then went on to buy personal PCs. The quality of the stuff for, say, nonlinear optimization problems, is just 200% better for the PC than the Mac.

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001

What I don't appreciate is your inability to discuss/debate things without bringing in personal attacks. That's just plain immature. When I filter out the bad language and immaturity, you have some valid points. But they don't help your case. I see you are able to type normally when you chose to. If you're going to attack me, at least be creative at it. . I mean "gayboy", come on, how lame is that. :)
Whether you think consumer machines need upgradability or not, the iMac will not have PCI slots or an AGP port anytime soon, if ever I'd bet.
I know MS has a separate Dev house for Mac products, the best from what I hear. They have the money to back it of course.
Hopefully nothing will be as good as anything on OSX.

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Ugh, retail store employment...that is the worst job in the industry besides tech support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.