Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockey6773

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2001
NJ
I dont understand all u people all this whole thing (meaning these forums) is so u can give your point of veiw on a subject and so u can lern stuff from it but all you people use it for is to fight i dont get it

and 1 more thing is this thread ever going to be about the g5 coming out

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
read wot i write properly for ****s sake

Look at what i am writing and you will notice mr ptrauber that i am not defending PCs and at the same time i am not defending macs.... i am pointing out what does what better.
I am saying the G5 with OSX will be better than PC with XP. not the otherway round.
PCs have hugely faster frame rates (not just marginally faster ones, mr ptrauber!) compared to macs right now, and they are more versatile as a whole. and also that the 32 bit XP might be ok.Also i say wow to the G4s 4 pci slots when PCs can have up to 6.
Macs right now have potential for fast frame rates but are not quite there. they do not crash like windows, easier to use. and their future looks alot more promising than the PCs.
i will repeat what i have said b4 and apologize for insulting ppl, sometimes i get pissed off at zealots, and other stuff that goes on.
And by the way Mr ptrauber, i did not say u knew nothing. i spoke from my experience of what ppl know.
Again ptrauber i might insult ppl, but atleast i look at what they say properly. do the same to mine and u will notice that i aint backing PCs, i am merely pointing out the good and bad points. Why cant you accept that at some things Macs are that much inferior to PCs?

i dont know about retail store employment, infact i dunno what it means. but i will take joyboys word for it.

(no hockey, we will get to that once i have established that i am still a mac fan)

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by hockey6773
I dont understand all u people all this whole thing (meaning these forums) is so u can give your point of veiw on a subject and so u can lern stuff from it but all you people use it for is to fight i dont get it

and 1 more thing is this thread ever going to be about the g5 coming out

See...when people feel strongly about certain things they get angry. It comes with the knowledge that others will disagree with your opinion and you may post back to stand up for your previous opinion. Some people go overboard(I know I do sometimes), but if you do not like that don't come around here. Learn(yes L-E-A-R-N) to deal with conflicting opinions and the sometimes emotions that come with them and the way others show their emotions. Personally, this is fun for me, reminds me of the days of the debate team. I have the feeling spikey is enjoying it as well, SO BACK OFF. ;)

It was about the G5 coming out, but got sidetracked, which happens. Something people on this forum seem to be unable to deal with.
But alas, the G5 will not be here that soon I fear, don't wait for it my dear. It will be grand I bet, so do not fret.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
retail was...

Originally posted by JoyBoy
Ugh, retail store employment...that is the worst job in the industry besides tech support.

Retail actually wasn't so bad. It was the year before I went to college, and back when the economy wasn't going at a snail's pace. It was kind of fun, and with commissioned sales, I was on a pace to make about 50K per year. Not shabby for a kid with no college education!

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Re: read wot i write properly for ****s sake

Originally posted by spikey
Look at what i am writing and you will notice mr ptrauber that i am not defending PCs and at the same time i am not defending macs.... i am pointing out what does what better.
I am saying the G5 with OSX will be better than PC with XP. not the otherway round.
PCs have hugely faster frame rates (not just marginally faster ones, mr ptrauber!) compared to macs right now, and they are more versatile as a whole. and also that the 32 bit XP might be ok.Also i say wow to the G4s 4 pci slots when PCs can have up to 6.
Macs right now have potential for fast frame rates but are not quite there. they do not crash like windows, easier to use. and their future looks alot more promising than the PCs.
i will repeat what i have said b4 and apologize for insulting ppl, sometimes i get pissed off at zealots, and other stuff that goes on.
And by the way Mr ptrauber, i did not say u knew nothing. i spoke from my experience of what ppl know.
Again ptrauber i might insult ppl, but atleast i look at what they say properly. do the same to mine and u will notice that i aint backing PCs, i am merely pointing out the good and bad points. Why cant you accept that at some things Macs are that much inferior to PCs?

i dont know about retail store employment, infact i dunno what it means. but i will take joyboys word for it.

(no hockey, we will get to that once i have established that i am still a mac fan)

Retail Store Employment such as Staples, Best Buy...large stores with computer departments. It can be incredibly annoying to work at...it can be made fun too though, if you take it as "People are just morons." :D

Very impressive John. My experience here was no long ago, good pay no doubt...I just get frustrated with dumb people way too fast. :)

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
the parrot sketch

I dont think i really get pissed off at ppl when they get something wrong. but i do when they refuse to realise that sometimes what they love (macintosh) is not always good at everything, because they are ****ing zealots. i also get pissed off when ppl believe the ***** given by apple at expos about the G4 being 200 times faster than blah PC.... or woteva.
i enjoy it though.
i reckon the G5 will be out early next year, probably at 1Ghz. by then the G4 would be at around 1Ghz i hope, and also it should move into the imac. keeping the G4 in their product line at that point means it still has room to grow (to around 1.4 Ghz i believe)
And even if the G5 starts at 800Mhz it would kick ass with OSX.

[Edited by spikey on 08-26-2001 at 05:31 PM]

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
I'm sure the G4 will be put to the same fate as the G3. It shall become the lesser and cheaper chip, but still a good one in it's age. It will be moved to the consumer machines and the G5 will become the pro model.
I do think early next year for the G5 is a bit optimistic, but I hope you're right spikey. I was thinking more of a MWNY in July release though. We'll see I suppose.

WindexMonkey

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2001
Minn
hmmmm

This is just an Opinion!!

spikey putting PCI or AGP in an iMac would defeat it's purpose..Simplicity. And that is all regular people need.
And what would be so hard to save up an extra $500 dollars for a G4? unless u have a LOW end iMac. And what I am saving up to do... Get a mac clonce (s900) it had space for 2 processors get dual g3 500's running and it has 8 ram slots 6 pci that is EXPANDABILITY :) and they go for $200 dollars on eBay.

Not singling any one but its healthy arguement on this thread

WindexMonkey

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2001
Minn
prices

i just remembered something my dad purchased a IIci and some extras for $2500 about 15 years ago and that is damned near a rip off consiering on eBay they can ce picked up for $25-50 now that makes $1700 for a 733MHz G4 seem not too bad huh?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
You have to realize...when the g5 comes out...Apple HAS to make it at least 300,hz faster than the G4 that is out at the time. Otherwise most people wont understand how much faster it is. If the G4 is at 1 ghz, then the G5 should be arount 1.2-1.5ghz. If they are at 800 right now...then in a year they should be close to that mark.

There has to be a large difference in mhz to make dumb people realize how much faster it is. I;m suprised at how similar the clock speeds are in the G3's and G4's, but I guess Apple has things figured out.

-Pete

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
well, from what i know of the G5, it should scale the Mhz quite quickly. So if they did enter it at the same Mhz as the G4 it should quickly overtake it in Mhz.
another thing is that, if they are going to keep the G4 in an imac then they would still want to be able to improve its Mhz, im not sure but i think the G4 is meant to max out at around 1.4ghz. If they moved the G4 to the imac and left it room to grow it would make alot of sense.

opuscroakus

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2001
Heat/power

Does anyone know the power consumption and temperature specs of the G5? Are they more or less than the G4.

As far as the iMac is concerned, I don't see Apple putting a G4 in the iMac that has a slower clock speed than the G3's they have been using, and I don't think Apple would be wise to wait until they can put out an LCD iMac to put a G4 in it. If the current top G3 iMac is at 700Mhz, and the G4 (at 867Mhz) is coming close to hitting it's supposed ceiling of 1~Ghz, how is Apple going to transition the iMac from G3-G4-G5? Are they going to start a G4 iMac at 733/800/867 (no duals) and have a couple speed bumps before they are have to go G5 in the iMac? How are they going to convection cool a new G4 without the bigass HS they are using now?

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
knowin apple

Knowing apple and their laziness, well probably see the G5 come out same time next year. WHICH IS TOO LATE! (for me atleast)

- Kela

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
lkjhuigfvljpeoqjg

Well i think if IBM or apple are making the G5 then it will come out alot sooner than if Motorola made it.
Motorola has pretty much ****ed up Macs in recent times. Especially that "stuck at 500Mhz" bollocks.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: knowin apple

Originally posted by Kela
Knowing apple and their laziness, well probably see the G5 come out same time next year. WHICH IS TOO LATE! (for me atleast)

- Kela

This statement is really absurd. Do you think new processors fall out of the sky, or grow on trees? Newer, faster processors require some pretty impressive feats of engineering. Lemme guess -- in college, you were an accounting major or something, yes?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Apple/Motorola take time

They take their time in devloping Chips because they have a certain level of quality control. PC users/retailers dont seem to mind the heat, proformance, and reliability of proformance and overall stability of their CPU's Apple/Morotola had a Dual 966Mhz prototype in the works like 6 months ago. It was a power hog and it had heet problems. It was not a reliable 966Mhz ether. So it was not released. Remeber when the 1Ghz PIII was first shipped. Production was stopped for a while so they could fix it before releasing it again. I have heard of PIII melting from normal use!

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
right on

I agree with evildead. Note the speed at which Intel churns out faster and faster chips. Note also how Motorolla/IBM/Apple and AMD are slower moving. Note once more how Intel makes the crappiest chips of all, and has often had problems that needed fixing after releasing a chip. The PPC makers (and AMD) definitely have quality in mind.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
rrright(in dr.evils voice)

JOhn123, why do you keep talking about education? I am still in university and am studying economics. And not accounting...LOL!! Idiot. Secondly, I assume you are out of university and are in your 30s which makes it even worse since you act so damn childish in these posts. I can understand that you are undergoing some serious financial stress but just chill.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: rrright(in dr.evils voice)

Originally posted by Kela
JOhn123, why do you keep talking about education? I am still in university and am studying economics. And not accounting...LOL!! Idiot. Secondly, I assume you are out of university and are in your 30s which makes it even worse since you act so damn childish in these posts. I can understand that you are undergoing some serious financial stress but just chill.
i cant beauleave this... HE,HE is childish?
you look like 14-15 yrs old!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.