Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
One product nobody has mentioned much. What you think of it? Got the Note 3 features in it with an upgraded display. On the level of the Nexus tablet.

Anybody interested in buying that as their main big tablet?

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I would be interested but I already have the original note 10.1 so can't really justify it as an upgrade. Screen looks amazing though

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yup, I'm seriously considering it. The benefit of the stylus and associated apps is lost on me on a device the size of the Note II/III--it's a big phone but the display is still to small for serious multi-window work or note taking. However, on a 10" display, I think all of the S-Pen functionality really starts to shine.

I never was a huge fan of Samsung's design style or TouchWiz but I really like what they did with this revision--no more high gloss cheap looking plastic, shrunken bezels, super thin, nice high res IPS LCD display, a CPU with some power and 3GB of RAM. I don't like the use of a physical home button and associated capacitive buttons considering I like to use my tablet in portrait quite a bit but it's not the end of the world. Also, the big, cartoonish nature of TouchWiz doesn't seem as bad in this form factor--maybe because its on a larger display, I'm not sure.

As long as they offer the LTE model with 64GB of storage in black and it doesn't cost a fortune, I'll probably be picking one up.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Question: did they move the stereo speakers? The older Note had them directly on the front, which makes so much more sense than where most tablets put them (pointing out the sides or bottom).

As for the other features, Samsung is going all out to make use of the extra space on a tablet, something that I really wish Apple would do.

Besides side-by-side windows, I like their new homescreen. Reminds me of the Chameleon homescreen app, or perhaps a static version of HTC Blink.

2014_galaxy_note_homescreen.png

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
definitely considering it, the screen is a BIG upgrade, i mean, it's better than the ipad. and the stylus and all the great features of the note product. no doubt this is gonna be a great companion.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Finally a high resolution tablet from samsung :D.

However, will still be buying ipad 5. Nothing beats ios on tablets.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Finally a high resolution tablet from samsung :D.

However, will still be buying ipad 5. Nothing beats ios on tablets.

I was gonna curse you out and say you're wrong. But damn you're right!

The only missing thing for me is a file managing system.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Does anyone think that this refresh to the Note line will have short-term implications for the Note 8.0? Or is samsung likely to wait until next year to roll out an update to the 8.0 (given that it is only 4 months old)?

I am looking to purchase my first android tablet (need a decent small tablet with a stylus for work), but am unfamiliar with Samsung's refresh cycle....are they fairly regimented like Apple (i.e. 1 per year)?

Thanks!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah the note 8 is in a funny position. It now stands a 'bit' (emphasis on 'bit') outdated, but if they wait much longer to release the next version - it too will be outdated relatively quickly too.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah the note 8 is in a funny position. It now stands a 'bit' (emphasis on 'bit') outdated, but if they wait much longer to release the next version - it too will be outdated relatively quickly too.

in fairness though thats part of tech these days...sooner or later things are outdated even when it's out not long. I love my note 8.0 no matter how much it may be outdated soon enough. It's my on the go tablet which is great for internet, e-mail and tv shows/films. you are never going to be completely up to date with so many android devices coming out.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I really like my Note 8. I have a Nexus 7 FHD as well and I still prefer the Note 8. Plus, the S-Pen is great for work. Love it. Way better than an iPad plus a rubber stylus.

I'm very interested in the new Note 10.1, and as long as it's not ridiculously overpriced, I'll probably buy it. May even spring for an LTE model.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I really like my Note 8. I have a Nexus 7 FHD as well and I still prefer the Note 8. Plus, the S-Pen is great for work. Love it. Way better than an iPad plus a rubber stylus.

I'm very interested in the new Note 10.1, and as long as it's not ridiculously overpriced, I'll probably buy it. May even spring for an LTE model.

Would you use the note 10.1 for at home then? thats what i tend to do with my ipad 2.

tempted to buy the note 10.1..but depends on the price. would have to sell the ipad 2 though to make it cost effective but not sure if i should or not.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Anybody interested in buying that as their main big tablet?

Me, assuming it has decent PDF annotation support (speed, precision) - something I badly need

- a comparatively large (10+") screen with
- very high resolution and
- Wacom pen for.

At last, I can fully move to reading and annotating new books on a tablet. So far, I had to resort to printing them and annotating with a traditional pen as the Wacom pen-based tablets just didn't have the speed / precision / screen quality needed for effective learning / quick PDF browsing / jumping around between pages.

Furthermore, it has windowed multitasking - something Apple (also) refuses to implement on iPads. ("Also" means I really doubt there will be an iPad with Wacom pen support any time in the future.)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Would you use the note 10.1 for at home then? thats what i tend to do with my ipad 2.

tempted to buy the note 10.1..but depends on the price. would have to sell the ipad 2 though to make it cost effective but not sure if i should or not.

I'd probably use the 10.1 at work - nice big split-screen would be great.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
16, but it's expandable.

be interesting when it launches wether it has 16,32,64GB available on day one.

Think I would only buy it if it has the 32GB available...the screen does look amazing.

tempted to sell my ipad 2 and getting it if it has the 32GB.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
For me, it depends on the price and if it has LTE. Can't be more than the iPad.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia

Thank you - this was perhaps one of the most helpful/useful posts I have read on the Internet!

I don't really mind that the Note is already outdated...such is the nature of tech. I will, however, become slightly jaded should a new note be announced in a few weeks time. Have we ever seen samsung do something like this with its line before? - Akin to Apple announcing the iPad 4 in short order after the ip5 in order to update the lightning connector...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Be interesting what apple do with the 5 as the features on this with the screen upgrade makes it tempting.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I'm very tempted to get this. With the S Pen + multi window + Scrapbook, this thing will be really useful for work, in a way that the iPad just doesn't even come close to.

Homebutton optimized for landscape is a bummer but Swipe Home Button would remedy that problem in a second.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm very tempted to get this. With the S Pen + multi window + Scrapbook, this thing will be really useful for work, in a way that the iPad just doesn't even come close to.

Homebutton optimized for landscape is a bummer but Swipe Home Button would remedy that problem in a second.

I want to get it too but not sure I should be spending over £1,000 on tech considering i'm getting the note 3 and already have the note 8.0.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I want to get it too but not sure I should be spending over £1,000 on tech considering i'm getting the note 3 and already have the note 8.0.

This is my situation, too. As great as it is, it's just not in my budget. For those with the funds, it looks awesome. Maybe next year; although by then, they'll come out with an updated Note 8.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is my situation, too. As great as it is, it's just not in my budget. For those with the funds, it looks awesome. Maybe next year; although by then, they'll come out with an updated Note 8.

I could sell my ipad 2 and get about £180 for it but not sure it would be enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.