Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Android is certainly more versatile, no debate from me there. But what exactly do you plan to do with your tablet? I watch video all the time on my iPad--what obstacles are you encountering that don't allow you to watch what you want?

Not trying to convince you one way or the other, genuinely trying to understand your needs to hopefully shed some light, considering I've used both tablets and am equally familiar with both iOS and Android.

If i'm honest the reason for android over apple wouldn't be video/tv show related. Both do a great job in that area. Although in my experience watching films/tv is better on android but not by much.

m main use for a tablet is forums, internet, sport stuff, facebook, twitter e.t.c. A big reason for the note over ipad i have a note 3 so syncing stuff like my snote, scrapbooker, action memo for example.

Being able to drag and pick TV and movies from my computer easily to my tablet. putting in an SD card and having more space for films, USB in terms of loading up pics...thats my main need on a tablet which you can't really do on the ipad. As good as the ipad is...I love using the S Pen too on my note 3 and note 8.0 so part of me wants to have the complete note series on every level.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If i'm honest the reason for android over apple wouldn't be video/tv show related. Both do a great job in that area. Although in my experience watching films/tv is better on android but not by much.

m main use for a tablet is forums, internet, sport stuff, facebook, twitter e.t.c. A big reason for the note over ipad i have a note 3 so syncing stuff like my snote, scrapbooker, action memo for example.

Being able to drag and pick TV and movies from my computer easily to my tablet. putting in an SD card and having more space for films, USB in terms of loading up pics...thats my main need on a tablet which you can't really do on the ipad. As good as the ipad is...I love using the S Pen too on my note 3 and note 8.0 so part of me wants to have the complete note series on every level.

The S-Pen was one of the key features that attracted me in the first place--I just didn't use it like I thought I would. As a user of other Samsung Note gear, you may certainly get more out of it as syncing outside of that ecosystem is nearly non-existent (except for S-Note with Evernote).

My guess is the user experience is probably very similar to the Note 3 so if you like it there, you'll likely be very happy with the Note 10.1.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The S-Pen was one of the key features that attracted me in the first place--I just didn't use it like I thought I would. As a user of other Samsung Note gear, you may certainly get more out of it as syncing outside of that ecosystem is nearly non-existent (except for S-Note with Evernote).

My guess is the user experience is probably very similar to the Note 3 so if you like it there, you'll likely be very happy with the Note 10.1.

Yeah I love my note 3, best phone I've ever had. I don't use the S pen loads on my note 3 but think on a 10 inch device when on my bed I will use it a fair bit for posting on forums and checking out articles e.t.c..just want a HD screen for my tablet which I don't have at the moment.

It's either this or the 12.2 when that comes out...I would use this purely for home use as I have my note 3 and note 8.0 for on the go.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
I just picked one if these up last night. I started with the ipad air but returned it mostly because of the awful yellow tint screen issues. Completely unacceptable for a company like Apple to be having such horrible QC issues. I also didn't like the aluminum to be honest. Left it near an open window and the thing was freezing cold to the touch. Had to wrap it in a blanket for a good 20 minutes before using it. So then got the retina ipad mini, same yellow tint issues, really Apple? Returned the mini but didn't want the Nexus 7 because the display isn't much bigger than my Note 3 and I really dislike stock Android and Chrome. So here I am with the Note 10.1 2014 and so far, so good. The physical buttons are annoying when using it in portrait mode as I am now, but at least the stock browser has forward and back keys. Loving the display, it's even better than the Air's (and no yellow tint!) and although it's a bit heavier, it FEELS lighter than the Air to me. We'll see if like it enough to keep.

TSiTwone

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
Got mines on Nov. 18th sold my ipad 2 verizon 64gb for $400 a few months ago and been missing a tablet in my life. Don't like carrying my 15" mbp with me all the time. Ended up getting a 32gb used with "package may be damaged" decription for $532 the tablet was mint & the box wasn't damaged at all. But just this week since the new price dropped $50 so did the used saw some from between $489-$505 called up amazon said they couldnt pricematch but they give me $30 amazon credit so $502 cant beat that love this tablet.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
I'll chime in as a product designer who likes to draw.

I had one for 2 weeks and returned it. But it was a somber, melancholy return, as I really loved it. I want work to buy me one, and they weren't ready to. I'm also waiting to see if the Snapdragon/LTE version is any better.

My review:

Overall great! Much more useful and powerful than an iPad. Never thought I'd say that. Wish Apple would pull a Samsung and steal some ideas in reverse.

Industrial design and some button specs are a mixed bag
. It has some criminally bad elements: fake leather with comical stitching would have been much better as a geometric pattern, the fake metallic side molding is cheapo, as is the pen. Someone called it the 1950s diner style tablet and that fits. The existing hard key buttons are particularly hard to press, the capacitive ones too easy. However, this is minor and the tablet feels nice in the hands. From the front it's a handsome tablet. From the side or back, it's a lights off situation!

Curiously, the pen does not work with new cintiq pens. I blame Wacom for that, they have some incompatibilities in their line. But it's Samsung's job to help inform the consumer. Between the two of these fumbling, inept entities, we are left in the cold.

Overall pen functionality is really nice. It can detect when it's pulled out, you can have it launch an app or ask to launch one of several apps. Some of that is 3rd party apps you can download to fix what Samsung left unfinished. If you never use a secondary pen (the onboard one is too small to use for long drawing sessions, and has no eraser) you can turn off the digitizer if the pen is detected as inserted. Supposedly this will save battery.

TouchWiz is a joke, but overall harmless. Everyone wishes it would just die. UI elements are comically large. You have to turn off several well-intentioned features that don't work or don't work quickly enough, meanwhile they could have put that effort into making this a better looking and better working tablet.

Accessories are nil, we don't even know what's on the horizon. I don't even know if a smart cover is being planned or there is capability for one (it would be highly surprising). Meanwhile it needs a cover to hide its shameful design choices. Stands, chargers, additional pens... don't even ask. Also don't ask about the US release schedule for the LTE version.

Screen is great. The resolution is amazing, but there is a dot screen pattern that is visible, I imagine because this is a pentile or amoled screen or some such magic. It's noticeable but pleasant. Meanwhile, the note 8.0 screen is abysmal (and bezel ginormous), steer clear of that hot mess.

Speakers are also great, being stereo. I didn't crank the music but it shows that someone smart worked on this tablet. I wish that person had a louder voice.

IR blaster was surprisingly useful, albeit an inexcusable distraction to this tablet's design and development. For US Broadcast DTV, it actually helped me find some TV shows to watch. I think it was the Peel app that my neighbor recommended. However, I would have much rather see a better charging solution, smart cover capability, or some other bell or whistle.

Size/weight/heft were perfect. A few times it got Apple hot, somewhat worrying as this is a hunk of soft-feeling plastic.

Hopefully Samsung can sell a few of these and be motivated to optimize the software. I hope they abandon all the silly things and just optimize performance. They need a project butter—not that I'm not complaining about widely noticeable lag, but performance increases are always welcome.

It's been a few weeks so I'm sure I'm forgetting things. I'll wrap up with my review as an artist who actually uses the pen: It's great, I can't go back to using a ham-handed stylus. Having it always onboard is far preferable to any alternatives (ipad styluses that magnetize to the tablet, cintiq companion pens that have no onboard socket, surface pens that have tenuous external docks). Eraser functionality is super useful to me, they should include it in the onboard pen. The onboard pen is far too small. ... Samsung designs too many phones, old habits die hard.

As to apps, there are some. Autodesk (Sketchbook Pro) and other app developers need to pay attention to what already works in legacy apps for cintiq and wacom pens. There are not a lot great apps out there that are pen optimized, but there are enough to recommend this tablet and say that it shouldn't be a problem. Meanwhile, Samsung needs to pay attention to artists too. Their contributions to the pen/tablet functionality are somewhat comical. It may be an Asian market thing that is lost on me.

So I give it a thumbs up. I aim to see how Samsung continues the roll out and then I'll pick one up again. That said, I would dropkick this beloved tablet straight into a gurgling sewer if Google included an onboard pen in a new Nexus 10. They have far better instincts when buying hardware and developing software. I would also consider Apple a contender if they ever decided to add pen functionality to the iPad. I am a reluctant android tablet convert that is waiting to be re-wowed by iOS.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
tried it in a store. i really loved the wacom stylus.

The Screen also looks great. As is the Size and weight of the tablet (its pretty portable Id say somewhere between iPad 4 and Air ).

The materials on this tablet are pure garbage The fake leather on the back literally grosses me out. It gave me the shivers touching this thing. Its a weird mix off rubbery and plasticky.

The Skin is really an abomination. I dont know where Samsung got those horrible UX designers from.

Roykor

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
I am interested in this tablet too. I think Apple is loosing me as tablet user cause of good pen integration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.