Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I don't get why people are arguing about copying. Yes, Samsung has copied a lot of things from apple, so what. It made Samsung phones better and they put their own spin on it too.

Apple's copied too. Samsung was the first with the power button on the upper right hand side opposite of the volume buttons, then when they went larger apple did the same. The other oems did something different, LG has the power button on the back, Sony has an over sized button in the middle side, HTC put there's in the middle too right under their volume buttons. But Samsung had, what I feel, is the best button placement and apple copied and did the same.

Doesn't matter who did it first, it's who does it best, and if someone else did it best then you follow their lead.

Also, the note 7 comics are hilarious, keep them coming. My favorite though is still the one with Harvey Dent return his Note 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghaichica

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
What internal document?
He's talking about the documents brought up during the lawsuit where Samsung told their employees they wanted something closer to the iPhone, showing examples where Samsung thought apple was doing something to evoke emotion from their customers and wanted to do the same.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So this thread has gone from talking about the Note 7 and all the things to do with that, to blind hatred of Samsung to lots of photos and discussion about Samsung copying Apple..

Time for this thread to be closed.

To be honest, I am surprised that this thread is still going strong, considering that the Note 7 has been discontinued.

If people want to discuss the possibility of a future Note 8 phone, a new thread might be the way to go.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Apple saw some money in larger screened devices and went for it, good on them.

Samsung copy
Apple copy
They all copy...
They all don't care about you personally.
They all want your money.

Like someone else said, enjoy your phones and let others enjoy thiers.

This. It happens in every industry... first mover advantage only lasts for so long before the competition mimic what succeeds (sells).

Reactions: Fernandez21

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
That's the one I got. The feeezer in the bottom. Stainless steel. BEAUTIFUL.

I wish you better luck.

I'm waiting for the Christmas sales and my performance award at work to replace them. And they WON'T be Samsung.

It is a beautiful refrigerator no doubt.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Never said they did. Point is they were the first on the market with large smartphone displays and they were even mocked for it

Modern OLEDs do not have this issue .OLED displays have come a long way .The sub pixel issue is solved through higher resolution

They are the only relevant supplier of OLED displays which is why Apple has them as their prime supplier for the 8

Showing me the base of the phone which can only be designed in so many ways.Sorry but the S7 and the iPhone look NOTHING alike

Actually Samsung wasn't the first phablet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phablet

And again, no one knows if Samsung will actually be it. That is a rumor

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Actually Samsung wasn't the first phablet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phablet

And again, no one knows if Samsung will actually be it. That is a rumor

I disagree.
The streak is the first interpretation of what we call a phablet today.

The newton and its competitors were pdas not phablets.
Had a verizon hub and all of the Nokia internet terminal devices, they werent phablets either, sorry.

6c5148ec6cfa2ffbe10bb15835fd556e.jpg

Neither was the htc
b89bb232a7e023a0045066bbf5ac6363.jpg

This was the streak:

9916a7f97809b63c12b0ad9a5de5890c.jpg
6091193a3d2b0ec15f45c57efc53b5f2.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't get why people are arguing about copying. Yes, Samsung has copied a lot of things from apple, so what. It made Samsung phones better and they put their own spin on it too.

Apple's copied too. Samsung was the first with the power button on the upper right hand side opposite of the volume buttons, then when they went larger apple did the same. The other oems did something different, LG has the power button on the back, Sony has an over sized button in the middle side, HTC put there's in the middle too right under their volume buttons. But Samsung had, what I feel, is the best button placement and apple copied and did the same.
Apple should never have moved the power button, it's so poor having it on the side where it is easily squeezed when adjusting the volume. The ergonomics of it are silly and I'm surprised it wasn't picked up in testing.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Good grief, what happened to this thread? I was pretty much away all day yesterday, and I come back to two pages of arguing how much people should hate or not hate Samsung. Then it jumps to the old 2009 argument of Samsung copying Apple. This has gotten out of hand.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
This isn't exactly a selling point to the brand. Making things bigger isn't difficult.
There were hardly any brands at that time making a competitive large screen smartphone till the Note came into the picture.BTW,Steve Jobs on bigger screens "No one would buy that" and look where we are now .If it wasnt for Samsung we would not have seen industry leading large screen phablets.The ones by Dell and the others were complete crap.If we are to argue technicalities on who did what first ,Microsoft had tablets waay before the iPad.Making something competitive and selling it and establishing the benchmark is difficult.Samsung did that

Yes they do. All of the display units for Galaxy S7s and S7 Edge devices in pretty much all cell shops around here have significant burn-in. There's a reason Samsung doesn't let you set screen timeout to "never."
No one keeps their screen on their smartphone on 24x7.A very very isolated use case. If we are to nitpick on such flaws,lets check out the disadvantages of IPS LCD while we are at it.Backlight bleed,uneven whites on the screen.Both of my iPads have a cooler temperature in one corner,warmer in one side.Pages and pages of yellow tint discussions for the LCDs on so many forums.No thank you.I will take OLED and its supposed burn in in a use case of keeping the screen on the whole day over a lottery on LCD production issues.

Some examples on a casual search

515009-068a89ed14720b8846c7da90de7f2816.jpg

fullsizerender-jpg.626757

No, it isn't solved. It's covered up by throwing more hardware at a design issue, which is something Samsung has always been famous for doing. You still have unequal subpixel counts, you still have the inherent fault that circles don't fill up as much space as squares, and you still have ridiculous burn-in, which I thought we'd solved when we moved away from CRTs over a decade ago.
As long as I dont see it,I dont really care nor do I think the millions of Samsung customers care .iOS saves the screenshots of apps in the app switcher on low RAM devices and in the animation zoom up,quickly loads the app.The app is never technically constantly running in the background but Apple hides it.But it doesnt bother me

What does matter for me and which is user facing ,are the pleasing color tones of the OLED display,the power efficiency etc.There is a reason Displaymate declared the Note 7 display the most innovative one.Apple is also adopting OLED next year and unless Samsung is producing RGB stripe technology on a mass scale you can expect iPhones to use these very same displays

They are not the only relevant supplier of OLED displays. Apple did reportedly choose Samsung as the OLED supplier for the next iPhone, but that doesn't mean it'll be similar to any of Samsung's own panels (just like how Samsung-supplied A9 chips are still lightyears ahead of Samsung-designed Exynos chips).
Apple chooses the best manufacturers for their components.So Samsung being chosen says it all.The latter part you state is speculation .Apple have always been ahead of Samsung in performance/CPU but have always been behind in the matter of display quality.

To you, not to me, or most other people. And that's why you're a loyal Samsung and Apple customer, and why I see Samsung for what they are - a cheap Korean knock-off brand with fancy toys to attract ignorant buyers (Hyundai/Kia comes to mind too).

@bold Fixed .

Now for the pics.Some of your pics were from 2011 and prior (Seriously?) .When Android was in its infancy,Samsung definitely had an Apple influence on their product line but as years went by they have surpassed Apple in design and are now producing the best in class design and hardware which doesnt look like iPhone at all.Even iVerge agrees

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/6/11379640/apple-huawei-xiaomi-design-competition

The tables have turned

http://investorplace.com/2016/08/apple-inc-aapl-samsung-curved-new-iphone/

"Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) is known for being a design leader, not a follower. But it looks as though the company is preparing to copy a major design cue from rival Samsung (OTCMKTS:). A new report suggests Apple will release a new iPhone next year that features a big, AMOLED display that’s curved on both edges."

I dont see ANY similarity in their recent designs

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

As far as your software pics go, its not as if iOS hasnt ripped off other OS.Apple has copied many aspects of their own design from other OS in the first place

palm-web-os-multitasking-versus-ios-7.jpg

ZT2nFXR.jpg

safari-chrome-ios7.jpg

Apple+copies+Android+mailbox+iOS+7.jpg

964680_519011641496349_1191891119_o.jpg

Sam.Apple.001.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-Apple-s-iPhone-6-adverts-Galaxy-Note-4.html

"
We've waited two years for something groundbreaking and you give us a bigger screen?': Samsung mocks Apple's iPhone 6 in adverts for its Galaxy Note 4"

You literally have Samsung's own internal team documents going over how they can copy Apple's UI, and then you have people like Radon87000 still defending Samsung, claiming "these look nothing alike." Truly remarkable.

None of Samsung's recent flagships look like iPhone in the slightest.In fact they look better.Miles better

Apple copies HTC, and Samsung copies Apple.

I used to think that too.But the iPhone 6 is a copy of the iPod touch released before the M7

Internal Samsung documentation is the only proof I need, and thankfully it doesn't require being good at design (which goes both ways apparently)

Thats a very ancient documentation by tech standards.What matters is the here and now.And in the here and now Samsung designs dont even look close to Apple's .Software inspirations are something everyone does all the time.Putting out screenshots from 2010 isnt making any point here

If you can prove to me how the Note 2,the Note 3,the S6,S6 Edge,S7 and above look close to Apple I will happily change my mind on this one

Last edited:
Reactions: spinedoc77

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There were hardly any brands at that time making a competitive large screen smartphone till the Note came into the picture.BTW,Steve Jobs on bigger screens "No one would buy that" and look where we are now .If it wasnt for Samsung we would not have seen industry leading large screen phablets.The ones by Dell and the others were complete crap.If we are to argue technicalities on who did what first ,Microsoft had tablets waay before the iPad.Making something competitive and selling it and establishing the benchmark is difficult.Samsung did that

No one keeps their screen on their smartphone on 24x7.A very very isolated use case. If we are to nitpick on such flaws,lets check out the disadvantages of IPS LCD while we are at it.Backlight bleed,uneven whites on the screen.Both of my iPads have a cooler temperature in one corner,warmer in one side.Pages and pages of yellow tint discussions for the LCDs on so many forums.No thank you.I will take OLED and its supposed burn in in a use case of keeping the screen on the whole day over a lottery on LCD production issues.

Some examples on a casual

As long as I dont see it,I dont really care nor do I think the millions of Samsung customers care .iOS saves the screenshots of apps in the app switcher on low RAM devices and in the animation zoom up,quickly loads the app.The app is never technically constantly running in the background but Apple hides it.But it doesnt bother me

What does matter for me and which is user facing ,are the pleasing color tones of the OLED display,the power efficiency etc.There is a reason Displaymate declared the Note 7 display the most innovative one.Apple is also adopting OLED next year and unless Samsung is producing RGB stripe technology on a mass scale you can expect iPhones to use these very same displays

Apple chooses the best manufacturers for their components.So Samsung being chosen says it all.The latter part you state is speculation .Apple have always been ahead of Samsung in performance/CPU but have always been behind in the matter of display quality.
I would rather have a yellow tint, which is fixable in iOS 10 than burn-in which isn't fixable at all.

As far as who copies who that ship has sailed and the courts decide that, not posters on MR.

As far as good artists copy and great artists invent, Apple is still inventing.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I would rather have a yellow tint, which is fixable in iOS 10 than burn-in which isn't fixable at all.

As far as who copies who that ship has sailed and the courts decide that, not posters on MR.

Not fixable at all .I have my iPhone 6 with the yellow tint at the top.Trying to read an ebook on it in landscape is painful as the left side is yellow which is distracting.When I rotate my Air 2 upside down I can clearly notice the difference in shades as its jarring.Most noticeable in web browsing and on a white screen (which is almost entirety of iOS) . Oh and burn in happens on a very limited amount of displays if ever.But yellow tint took me 4 exchanges to even partially fix and its still there.My 7 Plus does not have it for which I thank the lord.It almost drove me crazy 2 years ago

Its also not an Apple exclusive problem.My Nexus 7 2013 has it in horrendous amounts worse than my iPhone and iPad.Pretty much couldnt read anything white on it so I used to root it to adjust the temperature to make it less visible.I can only conclude its a inherent LCD issue

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
As far as good artists copy and great artists invent, Apple is still inventing.

Nice one.What did they "invent" recently which hasnt already been done before .The Apple car project as supposed to be it but it got partially shut down

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not fixable at all .I have my iPhone 6 with the yellow tint at the top.Trying to read an ebook on it in landscape is painful as the left side is yellow which is distracting.When I rotate my Air 2 upside down I can clearly notice the difference in shades as its jarring.Most noticeable in web browsing and on a white screen (which is almost entirety of iOS) . Oh and burn in happens on a very limited amount of displays if ever.But yellow tint took me 4 exchanges to even partially fix and its still there.My 7 Plus does not have it for which I thank the lord.It almost drove me crazy 2 years ago

Its also not an Apple exclusive problem.My Nexus 7 2013 has it in horrendous amounts worse than my iPhone and iPad.Pretty much couldnt read anything white on it so I used to root it to adjust the temperature to make it less visible.I can only conclude its a inherent LCD issue
My two 5s don't have any screen issue, every galaxy in every phone store that I've seen has burn in, must be an oled issue. I can only conclude you must have a damaged phone.

Actually have never seen a "yellow" screen.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
My two 5s don't have any screen issue, every galaxy in every phone store that I've seen has burn in, must be an oled issue. I can only conclude you must have a damaged phone.

Actually have never seen a "yellow" screen.

Your phone is unique because there's over 100 pages on MR and Apple support communities detailing it and it recurs for nearly every new iPhone .On my 4th exchange,the Genius told me that every iPhone has it in varying amounts and its normal.RealDeal also had it on his iPhone iirc

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nice one.What did they "invent" recently which hasnt already been done before .The Apple car project as supposed to be it but it got partially shut down
I'll start with my favorite example, Touch ID. Apple invented a new way to integrate fingerprint scanners into daily lives without complications. Some people might even say that's innovation.
[doublepost=1477143459][/doublepost]
Your phone is unique because there's over 100 pages on MR and Apple support communities detailing it and it recurs for nearly every new iPhone .On my 4th exchange,the Genius told me that every iPhone has it and its normal.RealDeal also had it on his iPhone iirc
So hundreds of millions of devices and a few pages of posts on MR? And a genius said it was normal? If same said genius had said the world was flat?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So hundreds of millions of devices and a few pages of posts on MR? And a genius said it was normal? If same said genius had said the world was flat?

So hundreds and millions of OLED devices and a few posts of burn in on MR?And some people say its standard for OLED?If the same members said the world was flat?
[doublepost=1477143719][/doublepost]
I'll start with my favorite example, Touch ID. Apple invented a new way to integrate fingerprint scanners into daily lives without complications. Some people might even say that's innovation.
Already done before.But if we are to go that route.Samsung curved edge displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.