Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bontempi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
What could be the games at launch ? There has to be some.

I suspect classic stuff like Myst ? Maybe the new Firmament game, which is said to be mac compatible ? Any ideas ?

People seem to overlook how powerful this VR headset can be for gaming, while definitely expensive (in its first version) it would seriously crush the Meta Quest

Reactions: Michaelangelo28

SirUnknown1984

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2023
That’s why Apple already released ARKit in prior versions of iOS. Developers will only need a little bit of time to get games ready. Sone AR Kit games might already work. Apple will have definitely hired developers/studios to do this already probably.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
My worry is that we've seen the "Apple demo's an amazing game" so so many times before.
They have some game developer on stage (in the past) and they show off some amazing concept, and we think, wow, this is stunning, and it's going to be the start of something great.
And nothing really happens.
Right now I'm thinking it's going to be down to iPad type devs to build entertainment stuff for this device.
However, going back to the initial problem. What's their incentive going to be to get the sales numbers?
Unless Apple are simply going to throw money at them to pay for let's say 3D versions of some top games.

Michaelangelo28

macrumors member
May 1, 2023
Los Angeles

I suspect classic stuff like Myst ? Maybe the new Firmament game, which is said to be mac compatible ? Any ideas ?

People seem to overlook how powerful this VR headset can be for gaming, while definitely expensive (in its first version) it would seriously crush the Meta Quest
Yea but not all will grab that VR headset for now but let me get one the soonest 😅

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

For potentially: Ten Times The Price.
I think we'd all expect it to crush the Meta Quest.... LOL

The price, or rumoured price is going to work against it as we all know.
This version is going to be amazing, that's for sure.
But ideally Apple would also explain how this is a tool for devs to allow the creation of software which will soon to be able to run on a vasty cheaper consumer version.
How cheap? That's a hard call.
Other than gamers and tech enthusiasts who's going to pay out over $500 ?
Perhaps Apple are simply not going to bother trying to make this a consumer product?
Which will be a shame as then the devs won't bother creating the software.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Myst, yes. Firmament? Probably not. It has quite high system requirements, and their most recently released game, Obduction, had worse VR performance on my Windows PC than Half Life: Alyx, which is PC VR’s most advanced game, graphics wise.

bontempi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
For potentially: Ten Times The Price.
I think we'd all expect it to crush the Meta Quest.... LOL

The price, or rumoured price is going to work against it as we all know.
This version is going to be amazing, that's for sure.
But ideally Apple would also explain how this is a tool for devs to allow the creation of software which will soon to be able to run on a vasty cheaper consumer version.
How cheap? That's a hard call.
Other than gamers and tech enthusiasts who's going to pay out over $500 ?
Perhaps Apple are simply not going to bother trying to make this a consumer product?
Which will be a shame as then the devs won't bother creating the software.
The price will eventually go down for sure. They'll probably make a SE version or something like that someday. No need to market this version too early though, if there's barely any apps running on it. I think they want to build the ecosystem first

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The price will eventually go down for sure. They'll probably make a SE version or something like that someday. No need to market this version too early though, if there's barely any apps running on it. I think they want to build the ecosystem first
Yes, I do get that.
I suppose I'm thinking of this a little like the console model, and yes I know this is not a console, and it's not all about games.

However, the normal model is, you give the devs a system to develop for, which will takes many months (year?) to get titles ready for the BIG consumer launch.
The devs know they will claw back all their investment when the system launches to the mass public, who are of course looking for the apps to use on their new hardware.
So, for Apple and the Headset, where is the incentive for the Devs, unless Apple says, this is mainly the device for you to experiment and work on, and in perhaps 12 months time a model 1/4 the price will launch to the mass market.

Honestly even 1/4 the price of the rumoured price point is not going to be mass market.
I'm wondering if Apple are just going to keep this high end for quite some time.
But who are the devs going to be selling their software to?

I hope all this is wrong, and either Apple shocks us all with the vastly lower price (unlikely)
Or there is talk of a consumer version coming very soon for the devs to build for.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

If you're expecting VR games as you know them on the Apple Reality, you're gonna be disappointed. There's no evidence that the headset will have traditional touch controllers so if existing VR games are gonna come to the headset, they're gonna have to be designed for a completely new control scheme.

Last edited:

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
The weakest console hardware (switch) had gamers lining up recently for Zelda (Tok)
The (presumed) issue when the Apple headset isn’t performance, it’s input. A Switch with a pair of Joy-cons has more input functionality than the latest PlayStation and XBox gamepads. Tears of the Kingdom would not be a good game if it had to limit its controls to a touchscreen.

Similarly to console controllers, all of the latest VR controllers share the same basic layout and functionality. That includes the Valve Index, Meta Quest 2/Pro, and PlayStation VR2 controllers.

If the Apple headset were to come with controllers that offer similar functionality to current controllers, I’d expect most of the popular Quest games to be quickly ported over to the Reality Pro, along with many games that have been developed for PC.

I don’t think the fact that a Mac is a poor gaming platform compared to a Windows PC is relevant when the best selling VR system is a mobile/Android platform.

bontempi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
If they sold controllers with the headset, no doubt it would add 500-1000$ to the suspected 3000$. This thing would sell even less, and controllers DO complicate the experience for beginners, which is what they don't want.

Their goal is to bring this to the masses, telling them "see ? it's not complicated". It's not aimed at the VR nerds crowd.

I'm also pretty sure the cameras will scan your environnement, no need to make a "guardian" like with a quest.

They could release controllers in a few years, just like they waited a few years to release the apple pencil for ipad.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
If they sold controllers with the headset, no doubt it would add 500-1000$ to the suspected 3000$. This thing would sell even less, and controllers DO complicate the experience for beginners, which is what they don't want.

Their goal is to bring this to the masses, telling them "see ? it's not complicated". It's not aimed at the VR nerds crowd.

I'm also pretty sure the cameras will scan your environnement, no need to make a "guardian" like with a quest.

They could release controllers in a few years, just like they waited a few years to release the apple pencil for ipad.
I think it’s smart to make it work without controllers, just like how the iPhone and iPad don’t require a keyboard or stylus, but I really hope the release an input device sooner than the released the Pencil for iPad.

But VR controllers are hardly complicated to use, or at least, they don’t have to be. The most popular VR game, Beat Saber, requires no button presses during gameplay, and only a single button (the trigger) to navigate menus. Many other games offer simple controls, often only using a trigger to click or grab something. And even with apps that use more buttons, it can be easier than using a console gamepad because you can put labels that float right next to the buttons.

As far as the Guardian system is concerned, it will often be the case that you’ll want to limit the area you move around in even there aren’t physical obstructions, so they probably won’t completely remove every bit of manual setup.

bontempi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I do hope they release it fast too. Actually, it could be a deal breaker for some. Tons of VR games are gun centric, and shooting a gun without a tactile trigger can't be fun. It's just a dumb idea.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Something just crossed my mind whilst I was enjoying some BeatSabre and Eye of the Beholder on my headset.
Do you think Apple will be stupid and greedy enough to make their headset incompatible with things like SteamVR and to lock it down to only run Apple approved apps, so they can take their 30% cut of a new AR/VR App Store?
Surely they won't be THAT stupid to bring out a AR/VR headset and not make it compatible with all the amazing software that's already available for other current headsets?

Sadly I'm frightened little Timmy might just be so greedy to actually do something like this....

bontempi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Timmy sells macbooks so he won’t make the headset compatible with pc for sure… that wouldn’t make sense for him. Virtual Desktop would surely work though

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Something just crossed my mind whilst I was enjoying some BeatSabre and Eye of the Beholder on my headset.
Do you think Apple will be stupid and greedy enough to make their headset incompatible with things like SteamVR and to lock it down to only run Apple approved apps, so they can take their 30% cut of a new AR/VR App Store?
Surely they won't be THAT stupid to bring out a AR/VR headset and not make it compatible with all the amazing software that's already available for other current headsets?

Sadly I'm frightened little Timmy might just be so greedy to actually do something like this....
It will only run xrOS apps,no on ever said mac OS apps would work.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple really should allow connection with Steam VR is they want mainstream entertainment.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
As I've said elsewhere, playing VR games without controllers is going to be a MASSIVE pain.
Whilst of course I know Apple are not wanting to make a Gaming Headset. Gaming is a BIG thing in VR, and one of the most immersive experiences, so would be ridiculous to deliberately ignore immersive games as one part of the whole package from Apple.
Having to remember/use set patterns of hand and finger gestures within 3D would be a nightmare.
Hence I'm still feeling optional controllers with button/triggers are going to be, or WILL become part of the whole package at some point, even if Apple try and pretend they are not needed during this initial presentation.

• Love
Reactions: Jensend and addamas

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022
As I've said elsewhere, playing VR games without controllers is going to be a MASSIVE pain.
Whilst of course I know Apple are not wanting to make a Gaming Headset. Gaming is a BIG thing in VR, and one of the most immersive experiences, so would be ridiculous to deliberately ignore immersive games as one part of the whole package from Apple.
Having to remember/use set patterns of hand and finger gestures within 3D would be a nightmare.
Hence I'm still feeling optional controllers with button/triggers are going to be, or WILL become part of the whole package at some point, even if Apple try and pretend they are not needed during this initial presentation.
I think it will be more AR than VR according to the last Tim Cook presentations mentioning that apple has the largest collection of AR apps as a platform for AR

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think it will be more AR than VR according to the last Tim Cook presentations mentioning that apple has the largest collection of AR apps as a platform for AR
You may well be right.
There are going to be floating multiple Mac screens for sure.
iPad apps on screen using your hands to control them, though may feel weird touching nothing.

Probably representations of Apple hardware in VR.

Health stuff of course.

It's hard for me personally as the whole thing I love about headsets IS the take me away from reality into another world aspect. Yes, I would use AR of course, but that's more daily work stuff, when it comes to enjoying the experience I don't want to see the real world really ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.