Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022
Source:

and

also

scott forstall works for snap Inc which is an AR company competing against Apple and meta

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
As I've said elsewhere, playing VR games without controllers is going to be a MASSIVE pain.
Whilst of course I know Apple are not wanting to make a Gaming Headset. Gaming is a BIG thing in VR, and one of the most immersive experiences, so would be ridiculous to deliberately ignore immersive games as one part of the whole package from Apple.
Having to remember/use set patterns of hand and finger gestures within 3D would be a nightmare.
Hence I'm still feeling optional controllers with button/triggers are going to be, or WILL become part of the whole package at some point, even if Apple try and pretend they are not needed during this initial presentation.
The original Oculus Rift initially shipped with an XBox controller instead of motion controllers, and Apple currently has good gamepad support. That said, I think that was was a poor choice for a VR headset.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I think it will be more AR than VR according to the last Tim Cook presentations mentioning that apple has the largest collection of AR apps as a platform for AR
I think that’s largely irrelevant for most use cases for a goggles-style opaque head mounted display that will primarily be used at home or office.

People may be more comfortable with using it if it doesn’t block them off from viewing the real world, but it won’t really have much effect on the tasks people are doing.

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022
I think that’s largely irrelevant for most use cases for a goggles-style opaque head mounted display that will primarily be used at home or office.

People may be more comfortable with using it if it doesn’t block them off from viewing the real world, but it won’t really have much effect on the tasks people are doing.
The camera pass through have to be extremely high quality. Which mean, it has to have a powerful chip that can render stuff on the real world while making it look as if it was part of the real world around you.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
apple has the largest collection of AR apps as a platform for AR
Technically, sure, but who actually uses those apps? I’m an enthusiast of that kind of technology, and I’ve only spent a few hours playing around with some AR apps a few years ago, and maybe I pulled up an AR logo for a recent Apple event for a few seconds.
The camera pass through have to be extremely high quality. Which mean, it has to have a powerful chip that can render stuff on the real world while making it look as if it was part of the real world around you.
Yes, I understand how it works. I think AR can make using the device feel more comfortable, but I haven’t really seen many use cases where it is necessary to see the real world and virtual world simultaneously. I’m not going to be frequently using an Ikea app to preview furniture placement. If anything, it will be because I want to keep tabs on the real world while focusing on the virtual content.

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022
Technically, sure, but who actually uses those apps? I’m an enthusiast of that kind of technology, and I’ve only spent a few hours playing around with some AR apps a few years ago, and maybe I pulled up an AR logo for a recent Apple event for a few seconds.

Yes, I understand how it works. I think AR can make using the device feel more comfortable, but I haven’t really seen many use cases where it is necessary to see the real world and virtual world simultaneously. I’m not going to be frequently using an Ikea app to preview furniture placement. If anything, it will be because I want to keep tabs on the real world while focusing on the virtual content.
I truly believe it will be something similar to Snap Inc spectacles but hooked to a powerful computer unit to the waist. If you are curious about it’s useful apps check out this https://www.youtube.com/live/OlPey4WxY1Q

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022

Another example

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I feel Apple needs to consider the vast number of tech nerds that REALLY don't want to mix or look at other people and full VR without seeing any of the real world is seen as a major plus point ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.