Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
I got a Wii 2 days ago (with a macbook for my mom. SHE SWITCHED) and LOVE IT, what are some good, cheap games I could get. Also, my Wii is japanese, but I want to buy my games from the US. Is this possible?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
-Mario Football is keeping me more than entertained at the moment, it's a really hectic and fun game.
-Metal Slug Anthology is just, well for someone who never got to play the originals, it's mindblowing. I've never seen such beautiful pixel art.
-ExciteTruck, still playing that. You really need your own music on it though. It's like the classic Dooms for me in that I'll make a new save and just see how far I get in a day. Really needs more tracks.

Then you have the obvious Zelda which needs no comment. :D

Haha. I keep using the word fun. But that's just how I measure a game once all the graphics and music have been extracted.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Nope, you'll need to important games from the place you got the Wii....bad move on Nintendo's part. The took a step back from DS(I think Xbox 360 and PS3 are region free)

Super Paper Mario, Legend of Zelda, Madden '07, The Godfather ,RE4 are all must IMO

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
That sucks. A lot. Okay...

I am guessing there is no way to turn my Wii into english, or like just hirigana and katakana not Kanji, right?

Well, thanks for the help. I will look into the games! :)

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
damn, glad you got the wii, but you should have done some hard searching for one in the US. i say sell it to some japanese kid you know and bust your ass to find one here. Its really not that hard to find one. My theory is, people that say its sooooooo hard to find one are either too lazy to do some deep searching or must not want one badly enough. All you have to do is look in the sunday ads to see which store has them, if a store has them, go camp your ass out infront of the store, or call every store that sells consoles a few times every day. I got lucky and after the 8th store i called (walmart) the gal said yah, we just got a bunch of them in. Best of luck.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Well, since I live in Japan and my dad does not have enough frequent flyer miles to go back home, buying one here was the only thing to do. :(

oh my bad, i didnt know you lived in japan, when you were posting this you didnt have a location posted. if you know someone over here, just have them send you games. Get zelda TP, re4, NFS carbon and call of duty 3 for some fun.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
no the wii key is a physical piece of hardware (a chip) that gets soldered to a certain spot on the wii dvd drive. the dvd player is programmed to say which disk is acceptable or not, in this case, which region can be played and whether or not it is a genuine wii game (not burned) The wii key alters the dvd player by telling the motherboard which disks are acceptable. In this case it tells the motherboard that all regions and burned disks are acceptable.

i just got my wii chipped today by a guy down the street. It only takes 10 minutes if you know what you are doing. Heres a pic:

the chip

the chip installed

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Will it void my warranty if I do, also where do you order it and how much does it cost. Last, who can install it for me, or could my dad and I do it without blowing up the house, or breaking the wii?

Sorry for being annoying! :)

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
well the cost varies,do a google search for where to buy one (i dont have a wii key) my friend makes his own chips and installs them, (they do the same exact thing and are wayyyy more cheap) i have no idea the exact steps to install it, but if you google search "wiikey how to install" youll get a ton of different tutorials. And lastly yes, it will void your warranty.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
-Mario Football is keeping me more than entertained at the moment, it's a really hectic and fun game.
-Metal Slug Anthology is just, well for someone who never got to play the originals, it's mindblowing. I've never seen such beautiful pixel art.
-ExciteTruck, still playing that. You really need your own music on it though. It's like the classic Dooms for me in that I'll make a new save and just see how far I get in a day. Really needs more tracks.

Then you have the obvious Zelda which needs no comment. :D

Haha. I keep using the word fun. But that's just how I measure a game once all the graphics and music have been extracted.

Was I the only one who noticed you used the word fun once :confused: lol

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
We just packed up our Wii. Wii are returning it to Yodabashi Camera today, and buying a PS3. Why? We want an English console, and the bluray. It is a shame, my dad and I love to play bowling but "we need to communicate with it" :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.