Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple released a new consumer application today as part of the iLife bundle.

GarageBand "turns your Mac into an anytime, anywhere recording studio packed with hundreds of instruments and a recording engineer or two for good measure."

The new application offers several powerful new features for musicians and will be bundled with iLife for $49. The application will be available on Janaury 16th.

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
this is very nice

just a nice app

we can hope apple will keep their consumer software pack below 100 euro/$ for the next 10 years

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
k, i really really really wanna get garage band, its the perfect app for me, i don't need the software instruments and all that... whatever
minimum requirements call for 600mHz G3, i've got 500mHz. what do you think would happen if i tried to run it?

the funny thing is i remember about two and a half years ago, discussing which computer to buy, and my saying, i don't think i really care if there's an extra 100mHz...

somebody console me, tell me everything will be alright and i'll get to use this awesome software without having to buy a new computer that would cost more than a nice digital 8 track.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2002
I'm a bit confused. Garage band looks awesome, but how is it different than Soundtrack? It appears to be the same except for the inputs (live recording and such). Is that really the only difference? If so why continue with soundtrack when it seems to have fewer features?

And what's up with the expansion for garage band costing twice the price of GarageBand(iLife 04)?

That being said, looks cool and I can't wait to try it out =)

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
This looks like a very cool application, I was hoping they would introduce something like this. I will certainly be looking forward to trying this out asap!

Rocket Rion

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Austin
Garageband rocks. I hope anyone who didn't see the live event stream goes to Apple's site and download the replay so you can see Garageband being demoed.

I'd like to know if the $99 Garage pack uses all new loops or steals those that come with Soundtrack.

El Capitano

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Doesn't appear to have any MIDI support other than for keyboard input... bummer.

I was planning to finally junk my last OS 9 apps and was looking for a replacement for the late lamented Opcode Vision. Logic is way too expensive for the kind of messing around I do. :(

Redboy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
What I can't seem to figure out is whether it supports AU instruments or just AU effects. If it is the instruments too, then this is huge.

BTW teh 600mhz limit was only for Apple Loop playback, not for just running the app.

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
Great software but couldn't it be free for download? I know it takes probably a lot of space but here in Europe it's evening! I really would like to start downloading it now and wake up with a brand new toy :D
Anyway, great job Jobs!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I like the product but not the name. Why not iStudio or iMusic? It doesn't sound like the software is intended for "everyone" like the other iApps. For me, the name evokes an image of stuggling beginner musicians playing (badly) in the garage.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Sample rates?

I just checked out the Apple Garage Band page. No mention of sample rates. I assume everything is limited to 44.1k/16 bit recording, which is fine for really good demo stuff. Certainly won't replace higher end stuff (Logic/DP/ProTools) but a lot of fun.

If anyone else spots the sampling rate specs, post them here.

cspace

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
i don't think it supports AU instruments, just AU effects. i think the "instruments" it uses are based on a built-in sampler (Logic's?). very nice for its intended purpose...

madforrit

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
Guitar input

Ok, so Steve mentioned how you just plug your electric guitar into your mac to use GarageBand.
I'm a novice guitar player and would like to dabble with this stuff, but how exactly do I plug my guitar into my mac (G5)?
I need an input (a card or USB device) that takes TRS jacks, don't I?
--or, as it's just dawning on me--do they make TRS to SPDIF adapters?

Any help for this novice would be appreciated! :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Re: Guitar input

Originally posted by madforrit
Ok, so Steve mentioned how you just plug your electric guitar into your mac to use GarageBand.
I'm a novice guitar player and would like to dabble with this stuff, but how exactly do I plug my guitar into my mac (G5)?

Any help for this novice would be appreciated! :)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T9106LL/A

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
Originally posted by Redboy

BTW teh 600mhz limit was only for Apple Loop playback, not for just running the app.

i really wanted to believe you, but the store says

" Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
-600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand; G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments"

so do you think i'll be able to run it and it would just be a little slow?
what does minimum requirements usually mean, i've never tried downloading any games that require a fast processor than what i got.

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Re: Guitar input

Originally posted by madforrit

1/4" TRS to S/PDIF does not exist (its apples and oranges)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.