Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Re: Guitar input

Originally posted by madforrit
Ok, so Steve mentioned how you just plug your electric guitar into your mac to use GarageBand.
I'm a novice guitar player and would like to dabble with this stuff, but how exactly do I plug my guitar into my mac (G5)?
I need an input (a card or USB device) that takes TRS jacks, don't I?
--or, as it's just dawning on me--do they make TRS to SPDIF adapters?

Any help for this novice would be appreciated! :)

Looks like you would use the Garage Band accessory made by Monster I think that's simply a female mono 1/4" to male stereo 1/8" adapter, and just plug it right into your analog line-in jack.

I suppose you don't need a preamp?

Redboy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
really wanted to believe you, but the store says

Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
-600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand; G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments"

so do you think i'll be able to run it and it would just be a little slow?
what does minimum requirements usually mean, i've never tried downloading any games that require a fast processor than what i got.

My bad, I didn't see that part. I dunno. I'm running Cubase SX on a 350 G3, and I think it "requires" a 500 G4, and I can run/use everything. Different companies and all, though. One more reason for me to upgrade my machine now...

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
I want to know how much crossover there is between the Soundtrack loops and the Garageband loops. I recently payed full price for ST and would be pretty upset if I got a majority of the same loops with GarageBand. Any thoughts???

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
I want to know how much crossover there is between the Soundtrack loops and the Garageband loops. I recently payed full price for ST and would be pretty upset if I got a majority of the same loops with GarageBand. Any thoughts???

Don't Ask, and then you wont be upset :D

gola

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2003
bergen, norway
Originally posted by jeffy.dee-lux
k, i really really really wanna get garage band, its the perfect app for me, i don't need the software instruments and all that... whatever
minimum requirements call for 600mHz G3, i've got 500mHz. what do you think would happen if i tried to run it?

somebody console me, tell me everything will be alright and i'll get to use this awesome software without having to buy a new computer that would cost more than a nice digital 8 track.

You should have no problems with this. Maybe not 64 tracks at once, but who needs that. Otherwise it is the software synths that usually take the processor heat, so maybe you would experience that you could not do like 10 finger chords, but who needs that.

gola

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2003
bergen, norway
Originally posted by El Capitano
Doesn't appear to have any MIDI support other than for keyboard input... bummer.

I was planning to finally junk my last OS 9 apps and was looking for a replacement for the late lamented Opcode Vision. Logic is way too expensive for the kind of messing around I do. :(

Don´t understand what you mean here. If it has support for MIDI input you can of course connect any MIDI device. What where you planning to connect?

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
This is just the app I’ve been waiting for! Can’t wait to try it!!!

If just the G5 iMac would arrive anytime soon . . .

:D

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
I'm a bit confused. Garage band looks awesome, but how is it different than Soundtrack? It appears to be the same except for the inputs (live recording and such). Is that really the only difference? If so why continue with soundtrack when it seems to have fewer features?

And what's up with the expansion for garage band costing twice the price of GarageBand(iLife 04)?

That being said, looks cool and I can't wait to try it out =)

i don't think GarageBand allows you to import your own .wav files/loops. i think you are stuck with the preinstalled loops and the Jam Pack. probably uses AAC audio, not wav or aiff. just guessing. i was impressed with it but it won't take me away from Logic or my other audio apps. probably fun to play with. good for consumers.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
im very curious about this app... there doesnt seem to be much specific info on it yet... i hope it can sync to my sequncer... would be rad if you could "rewire" it as well and use reason tracks...

El Capitano

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Gola wrote:
Don´t understand what you mean here. If it has support for MIDI input you can of course connect any MIDI device. What where you planning to connect?
A handful of sound modules and samplers.

From the pages on apple.com, GarageBand looks like it only plays audio instruments and loops on the Mac itself. It doesn't appear to have any facility to drive external sound modules via MIDI Out, so you can't use it as a MIDI instrument sequencer like Logic.

CaptainScarlet

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
CheeseLand
Originally posted by gola

Logically a MIDI keyboard...

Korg, Roland, etc.....

This is a BIG minus in my book...

No MIDI OUT!! Lame!!

I can then only use the music I make for iMovie.

ACK!!

Torajima

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I was really excited about GarageBand... at first.

But without real midi support, the app is useless to me (and most other keyboard players, as well).

Now if Apple had included the ability to record and edit midi, and maybe some sort of sample player, I would have happily shelled out $49 for this app alone.

And while I'm wishing for things... why not allow users of GarageBand to upload and *sell* their creations in a special section of the iTunes store?

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by Torajima
I was really excited about GarageBand... at first.

But without real midi support, the app is useless to me (and most other keyboard players, as well).

Now if Apple had included the ability to record and edit midi, and maybe some sort of sample player, I would have happily shelled out $49 for this app alone.

And while I'm wishing for things... why not allow users of GarageBand to upload and *sell* their creations in a special section of the iTunes store?

Because Apple wants to save some stuff for 2.0

gola

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2003
bergen, norway
Originally posted by El Capitano
A handful of sound modules and samplers.

From the pages on apple.com, GarageBand looks like it only plays audio instruments and loops on the Mac itself. It doesn't appear to have any facility to drive external sound modules via MIDI Out, so you can't use it as a MIDI instrument sequencer like Logic.

Ok, see your point. What a strange decision not to include midi-out support? I would guess it has something to do with making the interface easy, but I can´t see how it would complicate things just to pass the midi signals on to the outside... Well, I guess this app will be for the kids of america.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by g30ffr3y
im very curious about this app... there doesnt seem to be much specific info on it yet... i hope it can sync to my sequncer... would be rad if you could "rewire" it as well and use reason tracks...

i wouldn't count on any ReWire support. i think what we've got here is a single MIDI channel and preinstalled loops. cute, but no cigar. but then again, i wasn't expecting it to be a serious app. it's just for fun. oh no, won't be long until there's a website for every mom, dad, and grandma to post their latest GarageBand tunes. scary.

CaptainScarlet

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
CheeseLand
Originally posted by Nebrie
Because Apple wants to save some stuff for 2.0

I think a lot of people(including me) are looking for a cheap midi notation/sequencer for the Mac. Everything cost so much damm money for good music programs...I think everyone was hoping it had it all...

NOT!!!

How can you NOT have MIDI out!!

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
I'm a bit confused. Garage band looks awesome, but how is it different than Soundtrack? It appears to be the same except for the inputs (live recording and such). Is that really the only difference? If so why continue with soundtrack when it seems to have fewer features?
I'm confused as well, but we will probably know more when the dust settles.

I was thinking about upgrading from FCE to FCP, since it has Soundtrack included.
Originally posted by Torajima
Because you will see an onslaught of really bad music, there has to be some kind of quality control or it could/would spiral out of control in a second.

erstokke

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Grreat!

Apple´s done it again. Just like with iMovie, they have now made music creation available for everyone.

Of course, it is your creativity which make the result good or bad, but the main thing is that Apple has removed the technical barriers for all of us who like to play music, but don´t like to get too technical.

Now I really want a new iMac!

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Ok, see your point. What a strange decision not to include midi-out support? I would guess it has something to do with making the interface easy, but I can´t see how it would complicate things just to pass the midi signals on to the outside... Well, I guess this app will be for the kids of america.

exactly. that's what Logic is for. i'm curious to try out the synths but this is really nothing more than a cool video game. don't look for it to become a real part of your studio. im not at least. and i'm not coming down on it. for a toy, it's pretty damn kewl. and cheap!

gerardrj

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Arizona
Dont understand what you mean here. If it has support for MIDI input you can of course connect any MIDI device. What where you planning to connect?

What the other poster probably wants is MIDI output, so they can run hardware synths and drum machines, etc.
As a musician, being able to create and preview tracks on the fly(literally), then to later produce a high-quality track from actual instruments would be tremendous.
Alas, I think this is beyond the scope of GB, it's meant for beginner to perhaps pro-sumer levels, not for high quality studio production.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Dahl
...Because you will see an onslaught of really bad music, there has to be some kind of quality control or it could/would spiral out of control in a second.

Amen to that! ugh, i'm cringing just envisioning a website called "GarageBandTunes.net" or something a few months down the road. i imagine a million and one god-awful songs made from the same 1,000 preinstalled Appled loops. what a nightmare. should be good for a laugh though.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Wow, people are already ragging on Garage Band hardcore... This app isn't meant for professionals to drop what they're using and flock over to use it. It's meant for home users and people who want an easy way to make music they can call their own.

I'll bet before long, people will be complaining about the wooden finish on the left and right edges of the app's window...

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
Agreed

Yes - QUIT WHINING!
This is a great FREE App. I am very pleased to see it and it happens to be just what I want.

It will do the things that most of us with musical instruments in the house need, give us the chance to play with recording.

I have tried other apps and they are too complex.

Be happy.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by G4scott
Wow, people are already ragging on Garage Band hardcore... This app isn't meant for professionals to drop what they're using and flock over to use it. It's meant for home users and people who want an easy way to make music they can call their own.

I'll bet before long, people will be complaining about the wooden finish on the left and right edges of the app's window...

yeah, i guess i'm kinda ragging on it a bit. but i do realize it's toy for people to play with, and a very neat one at that. i wish i had these kind of toys laying around the house when i was growing up. i think it's just that some musicians (me included) might tend to have a certain snobbery about it all. no one wants "regular" people invading our little world. silly but we'll all get over it. i do commend Apple for the quality they put into it. and it's free! sort of. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.