Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Originally posted by e-coli
is that wood grain i'm seeing?

That's a new look for Apple.
Yep, they are going for a the look you often see in other music apps.

jcroft

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
FYI-

I'm stoked about GarageBand, but not about the wood grain. I'm not the type to go on a rage about a bit of interface trim, though. I didn't even get bent out of shape when the finder went brushed. So I'm not really complaining -- I can live with the wood.

That said, wood grain is a fashion trend that goes in and out faster than me humping my girlfriend when I'm REALLY horny -- it seems like it's one finish Apple would want to avoid.

Ah well.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
GB vs. SoundTrack

The relationship between GB and SoundTrack seem to be similar to iMovie and FCE. SoundTrack has many more features and included loops. I don't know why there is all of this complaining. It is a great consumer app that is much simpler than SoundTrack. Buy a more advanced app if you need it, but this app is targeted to people who don't need it like iMovie.

travishill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Soundtrack and GarageBand

You can't have a simple comparison between Soundtrack and GarageBand- its not like FCE where you can build out a comparison chart and just show what features are lacking as compared to Final Cut Pro.

Soundtrack has features that GarageBand doesn't have like more flexible automation, effects, and video handling. But unlike FCE/FCP, GarageBand also has features that Soundtrack does *not* have- like virtual instruments played with a keyboard.

So even though I already own FCP/Sountrack, GarageBand is still worthwhile to own. Although I'll bet the loop set from the jam pack just makes it so GarageBand ends up with the same loop set as Soundtrack, altho it would be cool if they were different...

Audacity Works

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2004
Originally posted by Harry Frishberg
I am interested in purchasing the M-Audio Firewire 410... Is it compatable?
My initial guess would be "probably, but only two channels in and out". If M-Audio gets their drivers straight, and OSX sees it as a standard core audio device (as in, the AudioMIDI setup sees it with little or no fuss), it should be fairly plug-and-play. Right now, all I have to do to get Soundtrack to output out my M-Audio Ozone is to turn the thing on. Of course, the thing loses contact every fifteen minutes or so, but that's not Apple's fault.;)

Of course, the Ozone's only a 2-channel device. Typically, multichannel devices (like the Firewire 410) need a separate control panel, which may cause some issues.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and I suspect the wood grain look is a homage to all the high-end recording gear of the past (and present) with wood side panels. It's kinda cool, actually.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Re: Soundtrack and GarageBand

Originally posted by travishill
You can't have a simple comparison between Soundtrack and GarageBand- its not like FCE where you can build out a comparison chart and just show what features are lacking as compared to Final Cut Pro.

If I remember right...when Final Cut Express was first released, there were some features that were actually either more robust or implemented better in FCE than in FCP...it wasn't long until FCP 4 came out and put all that to rest.

I think GarageBand is great for what it is...and will be a perfect addition to iLife. All I'm saying is that Soundtrack is due for an update and lets hope that Apple repositions it as a more creative app with more robust features.

sabroson

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
Chicago
So what do I do now with the eMagic Logic Gold that I just bought??

I just overpaid around $600 !!

Not being a professional musician, GarageBand is perfect for me.

Oh well..

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
LAG vs. GarageBand?

Originally posted by sabroson
So what do I do now with the eMagic Logic Gold that I just bought??

I just overpaid around $600 !!

Not being a professional musician, GarageBand is perfect for me.

Oh well..

That's too bad -- I sincerely sympathize. I bought LAG about five or six years ago, before I really had the need. It went mostly unused for a couple of years until I got serious, and then I was very glad I had it. (Upgraded to Platinum a while back. I'll never be a professional -- just serious.)

If GarageBand is perfect for you, it seems like LAG is overkill to the nth degree. Just curious, when you were shopping, did you know about eMagic's other (cheaper) apps?

If you really think you made a mistake, and can't get a refund, you could get a good percentage of your money back by selling it on eBay. Given the price of iLife, you'd come out way ahead.

On the other hand, if you do get more serious, you might quickly outgrow GarageBand and wish you had LAG back. Given that iLife is only $49, it might make sense to get it, use GarageBand for a few months, and then decide.

Good luck!

Harry Frishberg

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
I'm therefore very eager to find out whether GB is compatible with with it. Where are you located? If you are near NJ maybe we can strike a deal

I live in Portland, OR, but thanks for the offer!

If M-Audio gets their drivers straight, and OSX sees it as a standard core audio device (as in, the AudioMIDI setup sees it with little or no fuss), it should be fairly plug-and-play

Interesting. Does anyone else know about these drivers needing updating? I'm curious why it goes off after 15 minutes,too! Would the MIDI in and Mic in work on the FW 410?

Anyway, back to Garage Band....

I have another round of questions:

Is it true that Soundtrack has more loops than GB ? And will the "Jam Pack" give GB the same or more loops than Soundtrack? Are the loops in Soundtrack the same as the ones in GB? And lastly, Can I add some of Soundtrack's loops into GB and avoid buying the Jam Pack?

I realize many of these can't be answered until GB comes out (the 16th? or is it already out?), but maybe someone knows something about it that I don't. Also, any more clarification to the Firewire 410 compatability would be appreciated.

Macgamer1096

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2003
You guys make me feel dumb, thanks.

I guess teens who have a garage band, lke myself, will thouroughly enjoy GB as it seems easy enough to do and not that complicated.

My band and I have never even tried recording beyond a tape but i think we could make some good low level crap that appeals to the people who appeal to our crap but im pretty sure the thing we'd most like to do is try a music video (it's fun) -of crap...

All that out of the way, i like the iLife value of it which makes me feel like, with the addition of this app, it is definetly worth the fifty bucks, because i really never felt inspired enough from the other apps, minus maybe iTunes, to use these things to their full potential. on a side note i thought that iTunes should be able to do some of this stuff.

The corperation of all the other apps of iLife make this product as of yet be a better bang for my 50 bucks.

2nd version 10GB iPod owner-"it's my bread and butter."

erstokke

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Re: DVD drive required????!!!

Originally posted by madvek
While reading the fine print and system requirements for GarageBand, I spotted this:

"Important Notes:
DVD drive required to install GarageBand and iDVD"

I guess I'll have to run out and upgrade my kid's CRT iMac to a G5 with Superdrive in order for her to mess around with music in this "bargain" software suite:mad:

Have I missed something here? I thought every imac and every powermac since the beige G3 was fitted with a dvd-drive. A DVD-rom is all that´s needed, not a superdrive.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Re: Re: DVD drive required????!!!

Originally posted by erstokke
Have I missed something here? I thought every imac and every powermac since the beige G3 was fitted with a dvd-drive. A DVD-rom is all that´s needed, not a superdrive.

You're absolutely correct that only a DVD-ROM (Combo) drive is needed, not a Superdrive. But you're mistaken about the Powermacs. Remember how late Apple was to the CD-RW party? Same with DVD. Also, there are tons of old CRT iMacs around with CD and CD-RW drives.

barnett25

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
I can't wait to throw my cheap, junky practice amp in the closet and hook my guitar up to my Powerbook! From what I could tell over the quicktime feed those amps sounded great! Now I just have to start saving up for a midi keyboard....

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
For anyone wondering why a DVD drive is required for installing GarageBand (and iDVD), System Requirements on the Apple - iLife page say:

4.3GB of disk space required to install GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD; or 250MB to install iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie only.

Significant difference, even without iDVD. Impractical for CD distribution.

erstokke

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Originally posted by Matty P
What a waist of time!!!!!!!!

What waist of time?
1. Reading about an application you don´t need because you already use more advanced applications or
2. Using a lot of time and money on more complex and expensive solutions that you really don´t need or manage to use?

davedave

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Ok 2 comments on Garageband.

1. Considering apple's close relationship with eMagic, it's probably fair to assume that Garageband is based on ProTools technology. So what are the odds that pro-tools recordings can be played and integrated into garageband?

2. You can still install garageband on a non DVD mac - just load onto another mac - move the package onto an ipod, and then load it back onto your mac from there.

:)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by davedave
Ok 2 comments on Garageband.

1. Considering apple's close relationship with eMagic, it's probably fair to assume that Garageband is based on ProTools technology. So what are the odds that pro-tools recordings can be played and integrated into garageband?

2. You can still install garageband on a non DVD mac - just load onto another mac - move the package onto an ipod, and then load it back onto your mac from there.

:)

Pro Tools?!?!? Um...what? Ohhh, you mean Logic.:)

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
GarageBand looks really cool.

The lack of MIDI or ReWire support is unfortunate, but i totally understand why they left them out. They're advanced features that the average amateur user probably wouldn't want or need.

Also don't forget that Apple doesn't want to cannibalize sales of the Logic family.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
My roommate said he'll actually switch to mac if this software is up to snuff. He went on about the latency issue with PCs and how he can only record music from his guitar because of the lag time - meaning there is a slight pause between him hitting the note and him hearing the note on his speakers.

I am assuming that since he is a computer programmer by profession, he knows what he is talking about - but does anyone here know about this latency issue with PCs and audio input/output?

By the way - I'm really excited about this software... now I have a reason to get a midi keyboard.

-the toaster

jydesign

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2003
End of ACID & Amplitube?

I've been a long time user of ACID, one of the ONLY apps that I still need to fire up a damn PC to use! If this can replace ACID without the price tag of Soundtrack that would be great.

?????? Has anyone been able to confirm for sure if you can import non-apple loops? Soundtrack CAN and that makes use of all my ACID loop CD's and various Flash loop WAV and AIFF libraries. Dang, I sure hope so. Pleez let it be so...

Also, for the price, has anyone noticed that this also includes 15 VIRTUAL GUITAR AMPS! Until yesterday, you needed to pay $399 for a copy of Amplitube (http://www.amplitube.com) to get similar functionality - therefore justifying the cost for that feature alone.

happy playing, J.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Originally posted by toaster_oven
My roommate said he'll actually switch to mac if this software is up to snuff. He went on about the latency issue with PCs and how he can only record music from his guitar because of the lag time - meaning there is a slight pause between him hitting the note and him hearing the note on his speakers.

I am assuming that since he is a computer programmer by profession, he knows what he is talking about - but does anyone here know about this latency issue with PCs and audio input/output?

OS X has pretty much the lowest latency of any audio platform as was shown by a study done by Peabody Conservatory here in Baltimore. Latency IS a big issue for audio recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.