Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J Radical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
http://news.com.com/1606-12994_3-6147955.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news

For the lazy his point basically is that MS provides the software for other companies to make the hardware allowing consumers to choose the hardware thats best for them, no matter what their budget is.

I know that iTV will work with PC's, but he still has a strong point. Touch screens and other good devices are not supported in Apple's vision for the future of your living room. And even if Apple decides to produce such devices themselves, they will almost certainly be more expensive.

Apple is limiting people's technology. Thoughts?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
At least Apple stuff works!

EDIT: He contradicts himself by basically saying 'Apple suffers because they work on the software and the hardware. But Microsoft benefit from having a tight knit group of companies working on the software and hardware.'

Isnt what Apple have better because they dont have the added complications caused by the other companies?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
They're doing what suits them business-wise. Whether or not you think it's the right way is your choice.

They're not limiting your options, you can choose if you want to buy into the Apple way or not, nobody's forcing you.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
White box, black screen. Uh oh... Quelle style faux pas!

And his hands are kinda creepy, aren't they? Imagine those all over your daughter...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
If you look at TV & Gaming what does apple have? anything at the moment? Apple is weak here make no mistake. We know they have given up on computer gaming, but we know they are coming for the TV room though pretty late. They should have had these two items in all Macs for years.

Apple isnt in the Living Room. People are using other stuff and have been for years.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
OS-hardware separation is always the biggest advantage of windows. really nothing new here.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Isnt what Apple have better because they dont have the added complications caused by the other companies?

for small market, yeah, u control the quality (altho recently apple QC is way down)
for global market, closed environment will not thrive. M$'s windows is a big ecosystem for all kinds of different companies. like it or not, thats the way to dominate the big market-share and interactive.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Gates' comments don't really apply to "consumer device Apple" only to "computer Apple". The iPod has an entire army of third party companies that sell hardware to extend its capabilities. iTV will most likely continue that strategy.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
for small market, yeah, u control the quality (altho recently apple QC is way down)
for global market, closed environment will not thrive. M$'s windows is a big ecosystem for all kinds of different companies. like it or not, thats the way to dominate the big market-share and interactive.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. 60+ million iPod sales and 1 billion iTS songs sold per year show the world just how bad a closed environment is.

Why do you think MS went with the model they did for the Zune? Because they realise that in consumer electronics (ie, not computers) that the consumer wants his/her gadgets to work seamlessly, to be less like computers and more like refrigerators. The only way to make the whole experience completely seamless and to offer total compatibility is to control the experience from beginning to end. Something Apple figured out over five years ago.

Sure, in computing there is room for all sorts of models but in consumer electronics the only way to guarantee everything will work is to control the procedure from go to woah.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Yeah, you're absolutely right. 60+ million iPod sales and 1 billion iTS songs sold per year show the world just how bad a closed environment is.

Why do you think MS went with the model they did for the Zune? Because they realise that in consumer electronics (ie, not computers) that the consumer wants his/her gadgets to work seamlessly, to be less like computers and more like refrigerators. The only way to make the whole experience completely seamless and to offer total compatibility is to control the experience from beginning to end. Something Apple figured out over five years ago.

Sure, in computing there is room for all sorts of models but in consumer electronics the only way to guarantee everything will work is to control the procedure from go to woah.

Thats what I was thinking but Im hungover and couldnt be arsed to type it. Thanks Chundles :D

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

I think i was talking about computers, not consumer electronics, and even on iPod, u do realize iPod supports windows, right?

finally, there is no problem discussing a problem, but your sarcastic attempts really have bad taste.

J Radical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006

So should Apple commence support for 3rd party hardware? If not they are going to get left behind since people can't get enough of their gadgets and expensive toys.

iPod set a hardware standard and iTV could do the same, but beyond that Apple doesn't have an answer to the jungle of other 3rd party devices invading peoples homes. As a software company MS is simply better at dealing with the huge challenges of making everything work.

I know if I went Apple only it would probably work better, but at what cost? It'll be interesting to see what Apple does, I suppose the obvious answer is to make everything work THROUGH the Mac/iTV server, but what about those with PC's. It's hard to imagine they could accomplish the same thing, and if they could would their be any point in buying a Mac?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I think i was talking about computers, not consumer electronics, and even on iPod, u do realize iPod supports windows, right?

finally, there is no problem discussing a problem, but your sarcastic attempts really have bad taste.

Why are you talking about computers when the thread is about living rooms and consumer eletronics. Yes the iPod supports Windows, that's because Apple made iTunes available there. Doesn't matter what operating system you use the experience is the same.

And I'd rather be in bad taste than constantly posting incorrect or just plain stupid information.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I know if I went Apple only it would probably work better, but at what cost? It'll be interesting to see what Apple does, I suppose the obvious answer is to make everything work THROUGH the Mac/iTV server, but what about those with PC's. It's hard to imagine they could accomplish the same thing, and if they could would their be any point in buying a Mac?
Both iTunes and Bonjour are available for Windows. Windows PCs therefore already are included in Apple's plans for the living room.

Everyone on this thread seems to be assuming that iTV will be a Mac add-on because it looks a bit like a Mac mini. If you see it more as an iTunes/iPod add-on to which Macs and PCs can connect to via iTunes, I think you'll be closer to imagining its purpose.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Why are you talking about computers when the thread is about living rooms and consumer eletronics. Yes the iPod supports Windows, that's because Apple made iTunes available there. Doesn't matter what operating system you use the experience is the same.

And I'd rather be in bad taste than constantly posting incorrect or just plain stupid information.

if so, im sorry, but as i see, the linked video, and the general argument Gates made, are all based on their windows, and I don't see any indication that Gates was talking about Zune.

about iPod and windows, i was just trying to point out its important for company to support the other company's platform, its import for apple to support windows with their iPod and iTunes, if not, what do u think iPod's or iTunes market share would be?

J Radical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Both iTunes and Bonjour are available for Windows. Windows PCs therefore already are included in Apple's plans for the living room.

Everyone on this thread seems to be assuming that iTV will be a Mac add-on because it looks a bit like a Mac mini. If you see it more as an iTunes/iPod add-on to which Macs and PCs can connect to via iTunes, I think you'll be closer to imagining its purpose.

I appreciate it that in relation to iTunes/TV/Movies but what about other devices like Cameras? On a Mac I'd expect to be able to show a slide show of my photos on my TV in iPhoto as well as browse the internet and so forth. However there is no iPhoto for windows, and if Apple was to go down the road of making such software for the windows platform at what point does the Mac platform become irrelevant?

I bring this up because this is exactly the kind of thing that MS will be doing in the future. Everything would be peachy if Apple had a 20% market share, but they don't and have a conflict of interest much more serious/complex than they had with bringing iPod to windows.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I appreciate it that in relation to iTunes/TV/Movies but what about other devices like Cameras? On a Mac I'd expect to be able to show a slide show of my photos on my TV in iPhoto as well as browse the internet and so forth. However there is no iPhoto for windows, and if Apple was to go down the road of making such software for the windows platform at what point does the Mac platform become irrelevant?
The iTV itself could have camera connection capabilities, and even allow slideshows to be created via the TV. There could be all sorts of extras on that box that we don't yet know about.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
The iTV itself could have camera connection capabilities, and even allow slideshows to be created via the TV. There could be all sorts of extras on that box that we don't yet know about.

Or, lest we forget, there is usully an alternative that is widely available. When I got my first iPod, I was using MusicMatch on my Vaio. Folks I know with PCs today use Picasa to organize picture for uploading to their iPods. Solutions are there.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
What would happen if Apple let Microsoft program Windows' version of iTunes. Would it be as seamless then?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006

Including new features in iLife07 too. ;)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
What would happen if Apple let Microsoft program Windows' version of iTunes. Would it be as seamless then?

u shouldn't confuse my point, M$ produces softwares run on different hardware combination, and iPod and iTunes produced by apple, also run on multiple platform, thats the comparison I made

for your point, I would say yes, i believe if M$ produce iTunes for windows, it will work much better than iTunes for windows now, right now the iTunes for windows is slow, system resource hog, u can't call it seemless, like i states before, iTunes for mac is gr8, but iTunes for windows is crap.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
For the lazy his point basically is that MS provides the software for other companies to make the hardware allowing consumers to choose the hardware thats best for them, no matter what their budget is.

Microsoft do provide more options. This is because in their heart they believe there is no one right way to do things. As Steve Jobs once commented, they "just have no taste."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzKj-1HaKw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.