Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What are Microsoft's successes in the living room? WebTV?

All Bill is saying is that Bill's way of doing things is the only right way. He has always believed that, so what else is new?

iPhil

macrumors 68040
for your point, I would say yes, i believe if M$ produce iTunes for windows, it will work much better than iTunes for windows now, right now the iTunes for windows is slow, system resource hog, u can't call it seemless, like i states before, iTunes for mac is gr8, but iTunes for windows is crap.

Um itunes is great product from Apple for windows people.. before i switched to Mac Hardware, i was using Itunes a xp machine and it worked great IMHO much better than would a microsoft provided app called itunes for XP..

iTunes is low resource app compared to some other apps i've used on xp ..

Every customer i talk to @ work if they're getting a laptop or doing high-demand app on a desktop, i'll say max the ram (laptop) or get above 2 GB ram because the core of the isuue is XP is Resource HOG.. :p :p

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
u shouldn't confuse my point, M$ produces softwares run on different hardware combination, and iPod and iTunes produced by apple, also run on multiple platform, thats the comparison I made

for your point, I would say yes, i believe if M$ produce iTunes for windows, it will work much better than iTunes for windows now, right now the iTunes for windows is slow, system resource hog, u can't call it seemless, like i states before, iTunes for mac is gr8, but iTunes for windows is crap.
You are confusing my point as well. I'm saying if Microsoft produced iTunes for Windows, do you think it would be as SEAMLESS with the iPod itself? Is that not what this discussion is about, seamlessness between software and hardware and its correlation with having both ends come from one company as opposed to numerous?

J Radical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
The iTV itself could have camera connection capabilities, and even allow slideshows to be created via the TV. There could be all sorts of extras on that box that we don't yet know about.

I know that this is all speculation but if the iTV + windows combo requires extra cables for uploading photos or home movies it will fail. Assuming it has such functionality at all.

I'd like to see iTV with a hard drive so it can behave like a server and maybe store some of those downloaded movies + therefore have functionality when your computer is turned off. Also some form of OS X lite, including access to music and downloaded films (obviously) but also access to photos, home movies, e-mail and dashboard on windows AND mac. Bluetooth for a keyboard and mouse would be nice too.

In many ways iTV should sync to your Mac/PC like an iPod does. Making it work for windows is the challenge. Maybe itunes will be able to specify folders of Photos and home movies in XP/Vista

The hard drive bumps up the cost, but without it I can't see it competing with media center alternatives.

one day to go...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Why must the "iTV" have any direct computer dependancies at all? If it's primarily a network device, it doesn't need to get along with anything much beyond your router. For streaming music, it only needs to inherit the capabilities of the Airport Express, and iTunes for Windows is already in place.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
All Bill is saying is that Bill's way of doing things is the only right way. He has always believed that, so what else is new?

That makes him confident, and that increases his chance of success.

I think as computers are understood better by the general population, Apple's way will probably dominate more, with most stuff you buy the whole gadget from one company, why are computers different?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
iTunes is low resource app compared to some other apps i've used on xp ..
Every customer i talk to @ work if they're getting a laptop or doing high-demand app on a desktop, i'll say max the ram (laptop) or get above 2 GB ram because the core of the isuue is XP is Resource HOG.. :p :p
iTunes for win use much more resources (200~300%) than winamp, foorbar, realplayer and media player sure if u have 2G, its not a big number.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Gates is right in one regard...when something goes wrong with someone's "setup box" these days, they can call up MS and be told it's a hardware problem. So it is a better approach that Apple's in the area of deniablity of fault.

It's not better for the end user, but it is a better approach as a profit concerned company, because you can always blame the other guy...so a consumer that has a bad experience with a machine running MS software could blame the hardware for the problem and pick up another brand of machine that still runs MS software. A bad experience with an Apple product and there is only the user and Apple to blame.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
You are confusing my point as well. I'm saying if Microsoft produced iTunes for Windows, do you think it would be as SEAMLESS with the iPod itself? Is that not what this discussion is about, seamlessness between software and hardware and its correlation with having both ends come from one company as opposed to numerous?

i can't agree with you on this, follow your logic of "one company produce different products so they have seemless interaction", eventually u are praising the monoplay and close source.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
i can't agree with you on this, follow your logic of "one company produce different products so they have seemless interaction", eventually u are praising the monoplay and close source.
You know what I'm saying, but unfortunately for me, I'm too - let's just call it not in the right state of mind - to discuss this anymore than I already have. Try again later. :p

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005

Not so long as there are open standards. I used to have (at one time) a NeXTStation, several Sun boxes, a couple SGI Indigo2's and an SGI Indy, an old Performa 5400, and my PC. All made by different companies with widely-ranging design principles and priorities, and all were capable of talking to each other on a network with absolutely no problems.

Eventually, the best (or at least a suitable) option will prevail. If you need any proof of this, look at how few of Sony's non-standard innovations have caught on.

For the things that matter (DVD, Blu-Ray, 802.11n), there's a committee comprised of many companies. For the things that don't matter (an mp3 player), there are ways to get around the limitations... for someone willing to experiment for long hours. That is as it should be :) Else Apple would be inundated with calls from idiots wanting a new iPod because they installed iPodlinux and had a power failure while updating it or something.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
You know what I'm saying, but unfortunately for me, I'm too - let's just call it not in the right state of mind - to discuss this anymore than I already have. Try again later. :p

Can you clarify? Are you seeing two fingers when I hold up one, or is my finger growing gorilla fur or spinning around with red and blue stripes like a barber pole? Or is Clevin just impossible to understand?

Inquiring minds want to know.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Can you clarify? Are you seeing two fingers when I hold up one, or is my finger growing gorilla fur or spinning around with red and blue stripes like a barber pole? Or is Clevin just impossible to understand?

Inquiring minds want to know.
All questions covered in one answer. clevin likely made perfect sense, but I have no idea what the hell he is talking about. :eek:

By the way, I thought barber poles were red and white like candy canes? Ooh, I could really go for a candy cane right about now. ;)

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
What are Microsoft's successes in the living room? WebTV?

XBox/XBox 360. They can (and are) continue to add features that go beyond gaming. While I would love to see a similar Apple option, the console market appears a bit flooded right now.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think as computers are understood better by the general population, Apple's way will probably dominate more, with most stuff you buy the whole gadget from one company, why are computers different?

I suppose because it's become the conventional wisdom, meaning it is probably neither conventional nor wise. ;)

XBox/XBox 360. They can (and are) continue to add features that go beyond gaming. While I would love to see a similar Apple option, the console market appears a bit flooded right now.

The Xbox is not profitable, and though Microsoft has sold millions of units, still not successful from a business standpoint. Apple is held to a different standard of success.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
If you look at TV & Gaming what does apple have? anything at the moment? Apple is weak here make no mistake. We know they have given up on computer gaming, but we know they are coming for the TV room though pretty late. They should have had these two items in all Macs for years.

Probably from past experience. Back in the 90s, lots of Macs had TV tuners and great audio features but it wasn't profitable back then. Perhaps Apple wants to get it right this time, instead of rushing something to market that is lousy.

And his hands are kinda creepy, aren't they? Imagine those all over your daughter...

That is extremely disturbing.

for small market, yeah, u control the quality (altho recently apple QC is way down)

Yeah, it's almost half as low as HP and most other major brands. That is pretty scary, I admit.

Thats what I was thinking but Im hungover and couldnt be arsed to type it. Thanks Chundles :D

Chundles has the answer to everything.

Of course! MS lets you run rotten software whatever your budget!;)

No! You can usually get slightly worse, but almost as good software for free!

I think i was talking about computers, not consumer electronics, and even on iPod, u do realize iPod supports windows, right?

I'm about 99% sure he does.

finally, there is no problem discussing a problem, but your sarcastic attempts really have bad taste.

All of your posts have bad after-taste.

So should Apple commence support for 3rd party hardware?

You mean like all those printers, video cards, drives, keyboards, mice, cameras, and displays that Mac OS X ships with drivers for?

It's hard to imagine they could accomplish the same thing, and if they could would their be any point in buying a Mac?

Wouldn't that itself be the point in buying a Mac? I'm not really sure I understood what you said.

And I'd rather be in bad taste than constantly posting incorrect or just plain stupid information.

Have you seen the Radeon 9200 vs. GMA 950 thread?

The iTV itself could have camera connection capabilities, and even allow slideshows to be created via the TV. There could be all sorts of extras on that box that we don't yet know about.

Of course, none of us actually know anything until tomorrow! What if Apple really blows us away, then this whole thread has been for nothing!

What would happen if Apple let Microsoft program Windows' version of iTunes. Would it be as seamless then?

Well, judging by the extra Zune software you have to install in addition to WMP, I would imagine no. But I feel you posed that question that in jest.

Almost everybody I know with a PC uses iTunes. Most of them do not have iPods. I think maybe 2 use WMP. That says a lot.

Nothing is new, this thread shouldn't even exist.

It's spelled monopoly. And how in gods name is Apple even close to being a Monopoly? Because they're they only ones that produce their computers?

Wait, I have a good idea. Let's have every developer open source everything! Hurrah! That will solve all of our problems!

The Xbox is not profitable, and though Microsoft has sold millions of units, still not successful from a business standpoint. Apple is held to a different standard of success.

I thought I read somewhere (a while ago) the only thing profitable for Microsoft was Windows and Office. Is that still the case?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Yeah :( it took forever, and I found one spelling error but MR isn't letting me edit it at this time for some reason.
It's a known issue. Clear your cache and you're set.

dpaanlka said:
I'm really hungry and in a really bad mood too!
Hey, being hungry puts me in a bad mood too! Weird how that works. I get really cranky when I'm hungry.

J Radical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Oh thanks, that worked.

Point was that if you buy into the media centre vision any TV, touch screen, mp3 player, server, PC, xbox 360, HD-DVD etc will work with your setup. Any device can plug in and augment the experience for each individual consumer depending on what they wish to spend.

Apple doesn't work that way, you pay a premium for a small range of compatible products. My question was should apple commence support for all these devices? Make touch screen drivers and open their standards to manufacturers in order to encourage integration with OS X. In doing so they would be surrendering control over design and scuttle any hardware plans of their own they might have for iphone, ipod, touch screen remote, PDAs etc.

I don't think they will because they can't possibly do it better than the well established MS. Media centre offers all kinds of functionality such as browsing the internet on your TV, watching slide shows of your photos and home movies, syncing any mobile phone etc.

The Apple option limits your technology, the more devices you buy the most appealing the media centre solution becomes. If MS takes over peoples' living rooms it spells trouble for the Mac.

I've already said in this thread that Apples best option IMO would be to use iTV like a mini server with a HD. You could watch home movies and picture slide shows easily with integration with OS X, but it's hard to see how it would work with people with PCs... one option would be iLife 06 XP....:eek:

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I've already said in this thread that Apples best option IMO would be to use iTV like a mini server with a HD. You could watch home movies and picture slide shows easily with integration with OS X, but it's hard to see how it would work with people with PCs... one option would be iLife 06 XP....:eek:

And I've already said that it would be just as easy to allow an already available, nearly equivalent, application (a la MusicMatch, Picasa, etc) to do the work for the PC side of things. Repeating yourself doesn't make your point any better.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The Apple option limits your technology, the more devices you buy the most appealing the media centre solution becomes. If MS takes over peoples' living rooms it spells trouble for the Mac.

You're missing the point that while Apple does things in a non MS centric way, they are not doing things in any kind of closed, proprietary way. They are adopting and contributing to interoperable industry standards such as MPEG4, AAC, H.264 which are the way the industry is going, all except for Microsoft.

Take the iPod for example, there are plenty of third party hardware add-ons for it, like the voice recorder, etc.. that ultimately have support from Apple in the form of firmware modifications.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.