Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Old games played by fans of them suffer at the end of the day Nintendo are missing out on monetising old games that they already developed and should be selling themselves.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
No you wouldn't. Mobile games have always been a race to the bottom for price. People complain all the time about $10 games released from Konami, Capcom, or Square.

An iPhone can't reproduce "console quality" games. Touch screens are not conducive to playing games with complex control schemes like all modern games, or any game made within the that 25 years for that matter. They are good for games that use a single input, like a finger flicking or tapping.

Yes, but iOS supports external controllers now. And I support all pay to play premium games on iOS even if I don't play them that much. Xcom, republique, oceanhorn, and wolf amongst us are perfect examples of such games.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
Old games played by fans of them suffer at the end of the day Nintendo are missing out on monetising old games that they already developed and should be selling themselves.

They do...virtual console.

----------

If it's true that this emulator linked to ROMs sites or contained the GBA BIOS I can understand the take down, but otherwise I don't see how it could stand since unofficial emulators are otherwise legal.

You must have some deep pockets to contain all these systems.

Who the hell is playing multiple systems at the same time. A GBA SP plays every game boy game, a 3DS plays DS+3DS games. PSP and PSVita for Sony stuff. Just take one with you and go. It's not hard to carry around 1 system + a phone. Playing games designed for buttons on a touchscreen makes me rip my hair out.

Cankoda

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Canada
Wow, negative comments. I love how Nintendo enforcing their intellectual property rights, by not letting people illegally download their games, is bad choice. :rolleyes:

True but GBA and lower games and consoles can't be bought anymore, so if your unlucky to not have one you cant play them at all, would have mae more sense to take down the NDS one as you can still buy that

----------

They do...virtual console.

but there are so many games not on virtual console that so many people want to play, if nintendo puts all there game to virtual console, then i have no problem with what they did

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Who the hell is playing multiple systems at the same time. A GBA SP plays every game boy game, a 3DS plays DS+3DS games. PSP and PSVita for Sony stuff. Just take one with you and go. It's not hard to carry around 1 system + a phone

I prefer having one system myself (in my case an Siii), it's more convenient for starters especially when away from home and consider that I can use my MHL adaptor to get it on a TV (something I did last weekend) which you can't do with any of the options you give (officially).

On a side note, not all games are available.

Playing games designed for buttons on a touchscreen makes me rip my hair out.

Now something we can agree with, I bought a cheap £20 BT controller a year ago for this very reason which is light with decent battery life.

BTW, I have done both the smartphone+console (I own all the platforms you mention and more) and smartphone+BT controller options and I prefer the latter where possible when on the go.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
True but GBA and lower games and consoles can't be bought anymore, so if your unlucky to not have one you cant play them at all, would have mae more sense to take down the NDS one as you can still buy that
Yes they can. Not only can you buy GBA games (and consoles) physically on Amazon (just an example), Nintendo releases games digitally on their consoles. I JUST bought Advance Wars on my Wii U.

Last edited:

Cankoda

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Canada
Yes they can. Not only can you buy GBA games physically on Amazon (just an example), Nintendo releases them digitally on their consoles. I JUST bought Advance Wars on my Wii U.

True about amazon, but a lot of them are expensive and systems are scarce too for people who don't have it. And a lot of games aren't digital like Pokemon. i wouldn't have a problem if they were all on virtual console, but they're not

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
True about amazon, but a lot of them are expensive and systems are scarce too for people who don't have it. And a lot of games aren't digital like Pokemon. i wouldn't have a problem if they were all on virtual console, but they're not

You don't have the time nor the money to purchase and play Nintendo's entire backlog of games. You can't justify piracy with your, "well Nintendo didn't publish Game A on virtual console, so I won't buy Game B-Z" excuse.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009

You're right, since the games are hard to find, Nintendo should just let anyone just download them for free.

A lot of games aren't digital or available online anywhere because Nintendo doesn't own the rights to release them. Half of the companies that made NES/SNES games simply don't exist anymore and the rights to the games are in limbo, lost, or owned by somebody else that hasn't allowed Nintendo to release them.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
Yes, but iOS supports external controllers now. And I support all pay to play premium games on iOS even if I don't play them that much. Xcom, republique, oceanhorn, and wolf amongst us are perfect examples of such games.

Yes, but external controllers don't sell well. Nintendo isn't going to release games on a platform where people need to buy a 3rd party product to have the best experience. People don't buy an iPhone to play Nintendo games.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
The usual Apple fan hypocrisy at its best!

Apple protects its IP - "Well done Apple, take them to the cleaners etc etc"
Nintendo protects its IP - "Hope Nintendo go bust, Stupid move Nintendo etc etc"

This must be one of those "ample evidence" cases...

Anyway, just out of plain curiosity: which posters have said both of those statements? Thanks in advance.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
It's frustrating to see Nintendo fighting IP battles over a discontinued product that's almost 15 years old, rather than innovating. There's market demand for porting old games to mobile platforms (e.g. FFVI for $15.99), and apps like GBA4iOS serve this demand, albeit illegally.

At this time, the only money Nintendo stood to lose as a result of this app was from lost WiiU sales (since the virtual console is the only way to legally play GBA games, and because Nintendo doesn't profit from used GBA/game sales), and no one is buying a WiiU just to play GBA games.

Nintendo should release its own version of this app and make some easy money. Too bad they're afraid of new technology.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Yes, but external controllers don't sell well. Nintendo isn't going to release games on a platform where people need to buy a 3rd party product to have the best experience. People don't buy an iPhone to play Nintendo games.

Well currently Wii U sales sit at 1% of iOS install base. Just something for Nintendo to think about.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
This is exactly like what happened to the music industry.

They kept pushing for physical sales when the free online alternative was kicking their ass.

Personally, I hate seeing Nintendo like this, but sometimes the only way for good change to happen is for them to teeter on the brink.

It won't be fun, but they'll be better for it.

You're confusing illegal piracy with online distribution, which is the actual disruptor.

No you wouldn't. Mobile games have always been a race to the bottom for price. People complain all the time about $10 games released from Konami, Capcom, or Square.

^-- This

Every established IP that's been ported to iOS has had its pricepoint driven down. Even decades old brands like Mortal Kombat or Sonic end up being priced less than a cup of Starbucks because that's the market value on mobile. If you're vested in and have the means to maintain the value of your brand like Nintendo is, you don't port to a platform that devalues it.

----------

It's frustrating to see Nintendo fighting IP battles over a discontinued product that's almost 15 years old, rather than innovating. There's market demand for porting old games to mobile platforms (e.g. FFVI for $15.99), and apps like GBA4iOS serve this demand, albeit illegally.

Difference is Square, who makes FFVI, is a platform agnostic 3rd party developer, not a first party platform owner who has to compete against other platforms every 7 years.

And the solution for that market demand is to get them buy Nintendo hardware so they can play Nintendo IP. Not to meet that demand via a piracy solution that totally eliminates the IP owner's profit stream.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
So the "Nintendo is doomed!" is the new "Apple is doomed!"?

I actually think the new Smash Bros and Mario Kart will boost the Wii U sales a lot. I know a lot of people getting a Wii U only for those two games.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
To all the people complaining: This thing allowed users to illegally download ROMs, and thus is the reason why GBA4iOS got pulled and NDS4iOS hasn't.

That's another reason why all the other emulators haven't got shut down, because they don't actively distribute IP; and thus are 100% legal in Nintendo's eyes. However, once you start including a way to download games inside the emulator, that's where you'll run into trouble.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
Well currently Wii U sales sit at 1% of iOS install base. Just something for Nintendo to think about.

But for every Wii U sold Nintendo gets $$$. They also sell their old games for $4-$5 a piece, not $0.99 with 30% going to Apple. It devalues their brand to put full blown games on the App Store.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
So the "Nintendo is doomed!" is the new "Apple is doomed!"?

I actually think the new Smash Bros and Mario Kart will boost the Wii U sales a lot. I know a lot of people getting a Wii U only for those two games.

"Nintendo is doomed" has actually been around since the Nintendo 64. You would think people would have learned by now that Nintendo is not doomed.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol .. busted...

They'll tech them a lesson. If its still copyrighted, go for it Nintendo.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Paul Thorsen ‏@pau1thor 38m
The issues with the DMCA are getting resolved. You can expect things to be back to normal soon!

Paul Thorsen ‏@pau1thor 30m
The big issue is that the GBA4iOS in-app browser links directly to a website that illegally distributes ROMs.

Paul Thorsen ‏@pau1thor 30m
This will be fixed when the app returns!

----

Sounds like it'll be back up soon.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I'm sorry if I'm a bit thick and I missed something, but does anyone know if the dev will be re-releasing it without the downloading feature?

There is no way they can do this - you cannot distribute emulators in the App store and they already had their volume distributor license yanked.

About the only way they can do it is by jailbreaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.