Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I suck at GoW multiplayer. Really bad, apparently, as I barely ever get a single kill when I play online... sooooo, I need to people to practice with! Any MR members crappy to not so great in GoW?

My XBL GT is TenCentDeposit so send me a friend request so we can play. I've got a busy week ahead so I won't get to play until the weekend, though.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
We tried setting one of these up before, but it seemed like no one really came together to get it started. I would be up for playing some games, it frustrates me because I am a fairly desent shooter game player, but when it comes to Gears, I can barely get one kill in a match. I don't know if I have my controls setup weird, but I just can't react fast enough and always get killed first. I would be up for playing some games with people of similar skills and actually seeing what it is like to play these matches and have fun.

I think we need to pick a time and have everyone go online then because it doesn't work when people just say they will see each other online. At night, after 8pm (eastern time) works best for me, but I can do something on the weekends as well. My gamer tag is in my sig.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I just got GoW last night used. I won't play until weekends also. Mine is flyboy
I suck at these high-tech games, but it's fun to run around multiplayer and get blasted...

I'll look for your invites...

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
If anyone would like to add me, I play a little bit now and then. My gamertag is "T Stex", so go ahead and add me, and I'll play around whenever I can.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Does anyone want to try and be the leader and organize a time to play? I know that what happens is everyone will post their gamer tag here and then just sits and waits for someone to send them a friend request. If the OP wants to compile everyones gamer tag and then send out friend request, maybe putting in a message about macrumors and Gears of War, that will get things started a bit. I think the OP should just choose a time this weekend and who ever shows up, shows up. I don't think it is going to be possible to find a time that everyone can join, this is usually the problem that plagues that threads and ideas, it seems like they never grow into something that actually happens.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I'll send requests to everyone in this thread and see if I can come up with some regularly scheduled matches. Can't do anything 'till at least tonight or tomorrow night, maybe not until the weekend, but I'll try and get us all together to find out who is the worst of the worst!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Great idea. I got an invite last night from "latin#$@#$" (can't post rest - are people allowed profane tags?) but I don't think that's anyone here...

I tried it for a bit last night - what an awesome game!!! (I still stink though)...

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Take the shotgun and blind fire. Problem solved ;)

Get close and stick a grenade.

I don't know. I manage to get a kill or two in team matches, and I don't have a 360.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Take the shotgun and blind fire. Problem solved ;)

Get close and stick a grenade.

I don't know. I manage to get a kill or two in team matches, and I don't have a 360.

The problem is two fold. First, the single player GoW campaign is definitely a "finesse" game. Take cover. Make smart shots. Save your ammo (on the harder levels anyways, the easy setting gives you plenty of rounds). Take it slow, watch your flanks, keep your distance when you are on a frontal assault.

The multiplayer, though, is much more like UT than you'd expect it to be. Lots of head on shootouts, etc. Less hold your position and use cover well. If you play the single player campaign primarily at first (which is a good idea to learn the controls, etc) you are at a bit of a disadvantage for the multiplayer at first.

The second trouble is that like any FPS it's all about the weapons. Add into that the improved cover system and you have a game that gives a HUGE advantage to knowing the map layout and weapon locations which takes awhile to really pick up on for every map.

Echinda

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2003
I've finished the single-player GoW campaign* and want to try multi-player now. This weekend isn't great for me but if I can I'd love to try to get a few games in.

My gamertag is "Echinda". Please add me to the list of invitees. (PS - I'm in the Pacific time zone)

*well, except for killing RAAM at the end - I just got there last weekend and after he curb stomped me for the fifth time I both figured out what to do (torque bow disperses krill, lancer till they come back, rinse & repeat) and got tired of trying. Next time, RAAM, next time.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
OK, you all have invites from me, TenCentDeposit. If I missed someone either let me know or just send me one. So, the schedule!

I've got a couple things to do after this, but I'll be back around 10pm. I'll see if anyone is there then and we can have a little impromptu match.

If I can get at least 4 people for tomorrow starting at 6:00pm Eastern Standard Time then I'll host then, 'till whenever... I figure I'll get tired of sucking after an hour give or take.

Also, Sunday is open if anyone who can't make tomorrow wants to pick a time. Just post here if you'll be online tomorrow and, if you want to play Sunday, a time.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I wish I had Xbox live, I have a trial waiting that Ill be able to use when I get back home on the 15th.

I hate GOW on xbl though because all those 1337 players end up with like 57 kills or whatever and I have like 1 kill and 1 down. Hopefully playing against other noobs will allow me some kills.

And finally: If I had a trial xbl membership with a certain gamertag and then later I get another trial will I have to create a newe gamertag and account or can I just "reload" the old one with another months connectivity?

If so my gamertag is Bliks3m

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
I can probably play sunday night around 8 or 9 EST. My Xbox is at my girlfriend's house (with no internet) so I'll accept that invite as soon as I bring it back to my house.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I wish I had Xbox live, I have a trial waiting that Ill be able to use when I get back home on the 15th.

I hate GOW on xbl though because all those 1337 players end up with like 57 kills or whatever and I have like 1 kill and 1 down. Hopefully playing against other noobs will allow me some kills.

And finally: If I had a trial xbl membership with a certain gamertag and then later I get another trial will I have to create a newe gamertag and account or can I just "reload" the old one with another months connectivity?

I think you'll have to create a new account to use another trial.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania

I think you'll be able to keep the old gamertag. When you sign up for a gamertag, I think you get the Xbox Live "Silver" membership. When you used that trial membership, that was a trial for the "Gold" membership. You'll just have to put a new subscription code in and upgrade from "Silver" to "Gold".

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Just got done playing with "echinda" and "steamboat26"... was tons of fun! Hope more people can play again - it's definitely a better game when you aren't the worst player on the field!

So tomorrow night ~8pm anyone?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Just got done playing with "echinda" and "steamboat26"... was tons of fun! Hope more people can play again - it's definitely a better game when you aren't the worst player on the field!

So tomorrow night ~8pm anyone?

Time Zone?

This is a busy weekend for me, but the others I will try to make time for!!!

Accepted the invite...thanks...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Sorry about the horrible lag, I'm moving back to my dad's house soon, and he has fios, so I shouldn't be lagging.

No troubles! Anyways, since no one responded for tonight I suppose we'll try again later in the week. I'm going to watch a movie with my wife instead, so someone throw out a day they're free! We should try to pick a weekly date/time to make it simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.