Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
So you're trying to tell me this battery issue with millions of iPhones turning off has been happening for the past 7-8 years before the iPhone 6 and 6s?
Weird, I been here since 2008 and didn't see any of it. Please enlight me.

Battery does degree and will not hold charges like new battery does. This is fact. Battery precentage reported on cellphone, laptops are not entirely accurate.

A device with weares out battery will have issue with random shut down. While my almost 10 years old Acer laptop still works, battery will not stay more than 5 minuts. Laptop will shutdown even it says 95% battery.

That being said, I haven't had random shutdown with any of my phones, including iPhone 5. That is high depends on each individual devices. People charging their devices differently. I never let my devices have less than 50% battery.

Regarding with iPhone 6 and 6S. I do believe that they use cheaper cells. There are recalls with iPhone 6S battery. I think Apple need switchs to better quality battery cell, instead cheap and lower quality cell
[doublepost=1515035666][/doublepost]
Except it's not just based on one measure:

"This power management works by looking at a combination of the device temperature, battery state of charge, and battery impedance. Only if these variables require it, iOS will dynamically manage the maximum performance of some system components, such as the CPU and GPU, in order to prevent unexpected shutdowns."

from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

That covers lots of stuff and lots of variables. Bascially Apple is covering themselves from future damages.

If it turns out replacing battery does not fix the problem, Apple can tell you, well maybe something else.

This blanket statement is means nothing to consumers.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So you're trying to tell me this battery issue with millions of iPhones turning off has been happening for the past 7-8 years before the iPhone 6 and 6s?
Weird, I been here since 2008 and didn't see any of it. Please enlight me.
I have personally had an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S shut down when the battery reported 50% or higher remaining on the charge. Both times, the battery health was below 80%, the battery had failed, and Apple replaced the battery under warranty. This has happened with old Dell Laptops, old MacBooks and now my iPad is beginning to suffer symptoms. Such as I mentioned earlier. Going from 50% to 30% to 49% within seconds. These are the first signs of a dying/failing/consumed battery.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have personally had an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S shut down when the battery reported 50% or higher remaining on the charge.

Let me see.
You personally Vs the millions of iPhone 6 and 6S iPhones worldwide suffering from these defective batteries that Apple admitted and apologized about.
Sure, I'll take your word for it over everyone else :D lol
Keep going though, you're doing great. :D
[doublepost=1515036805][/doublepost]
Battery does degree and will not hold charges like new battery does. This is fact. Battery precentage reported on cellphone, laptops are not entirely accurate.

A device with weares out battery will have issue with random shut down. While my almost 10 years old Acer laptop still works, battery will not stay more than 5 minuts. Laptop will shutdown even it says 95% battery.

That being said, I haven't had random shutdown with any of my phones, including iPhone 5. That is high depends on each individual devices. People charging their devices differently. I never let my devices have less than 50% battery.

Regarding with iPhone 6 and 6S. I do believe that they use cheaper cells. There are recalls with iPhone 6S battery. I think Apple need switchs to better quality battery cell, instead cheap and lower quality cell
[doublepost=1515035666][/doublepost]

Well said and I agree.
All batteries eventually degrade and don't hold charge as before etc...
I never saw the millions of cases with the iPhone 6 and 6S battery problems on any previous iPhones just turning off randomly.
We had plenty of other "gates" and other issues before but some people try to change or rewrite history to fit their Apple koolaid drinking narrative :D.
Now saying it always happened and this is nothing and this new "feature" of throttling is great. They did us all a favor.
Everyone with some common sense can see right through all that.

Reactions: z970

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Let me see.
You personally Vs the millions of iPhone 6 and 6S iPhones worldwide suffering from these defective batteries that Apple admitted and apologized about.
Sure, I'll take your word for it over everyone else :D lol
Keep going though, you're doing great. :D
[doublepost=1515036805][/doublepost]

Well said and I agree.
All batteries eventually degrade and don't hold charge as before etc...
I never saw the millions of cases with the iPhone 6 and 6S battery problems on any previous iPhones just turning off randomly.
We had plenty of other "gates" and other issues before but some people try to change or rewrite history to fit their Apple koolaid drinking narrative :D.
Now saying it always happened and this is nothing and this new "feature" of throttling is great. They did us all a favor.
Everyone with some common sense can see right through all that.

I’m really confused. I think you somewhere misinterpreted what I said along the lines. No where am I defending Apple. All I am saying is that it is normal for a failing battery to turn off randomly. And this is highly off topic to my original statement saying that 88% is 60% consumed.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I have personally had an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S shut down when the battery reported 50% or higher remaining on the charge. Both times, the battery health was below 80%, the battery had failed, and Apple replaced the battery under warranty. This has happened with old Dell Laptops, old MacBooks and now my iPad is beginning to suffer symptoms. Such as I mentioned earlier. Going from 50% to 30% to 49% within seconds. These are the first signs of a dying/failing/consumed battery.

What is the last time Apple had to recall iPhone battery? It was iPhone 6S. There were never been massive report regarding random shitdoen perior iPhone 6S.

We all understand how battery works. I don't buy Apple's reasoning, because there are reports iPhone being throttled with more than 80% battery capacity.

Apple also issued statement basically include all possible way iOS throttling iPhone. Battery is only part of the story. Let see how this continue

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What is the last time Apple had to recall iPhone battery? It was iPhone 6S. There were never been massive report regarding random shitdoen perior iPhone 6S.

We all understand how battery works. I don't buy Apple's reasoning, because there are reports iPhone being throttled with more than 80% battery capacity.

Apple also issued statement basically include all possible way iOS throttling iPhone. Battery is only part of the story. Let see how this continue
I understand. And I never claimed otherwise. Something has seriously been misinterpreted throughout this conversation. Because of that. I’m going to leave it at this. Maybe someone can point out where this conversation took a serious left turn. Because this is no where the original topic I started it at.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Screw it. I'm making one more post.

If you are affected by Apple's throttling, go into Settings, General, then Spotlight Preferences. Turn everything off. This should free up some extra RAM and processor to smooth out the effects of the throttling as much as possible. Turn off as many background processes as you can, too; it's all in Settings. Also regularly totally drain your battery, then fully charge it. This should improve the battery's health and charge, even slightly. Make sure to reset your iPhone about every week or so as well, by holding the home button (or volume down on 7 and newer) and the power button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. This should keep its resources in general check.

Sad that we have to do this on brand new phones, but this is modern Apple, where some form of obsolescence is an extremely common sight. Although, it seems living with an iPod touch 4 for an entire year paid off, eh? :D

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Screw it. I'm making one more post.

If you are affected by Apple's throttling, go into Settings, General, then Spotlight Preferences. Turn everything off. This should free up some extra RAM and processor to smooth out the effects of the throttling as much as possible. Turn off as many background processes as you can, too; it's all in Settings. Also regularly totally drain your battery, then fully charge it. This should improve the battery's health and charge, even slightly. Make sure to reset your iPhone about every week or so as well, by holding the home button (or volume down on 7 and newer) and the power button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. This should keep its resources in general check.

Sad that we have to do this on brand new phones, but this is modern Apple, where some form of obsolescence is an extremely common sight. Although, it seems living with an iPod touch 4 for an entire year paid off, eh? :D

Nice try but that won't help much when in some cases people's iPhones are slowed down by 50-60% and they become painfully bad and frustrating to use.
In those cases try to hunt down an Apple store that might have some batteries in stock to get your device up to speed for $29;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jav6454

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Wow what a thread about batteries from the Macrumor's heavyweight posters!

I've done a lot of reading and studying of batteries - they're a huge hobby of mine, I've read Isidor's book like 4 times. The more I learn the more I realize how little I really know.

I do have a history rooting my Android phones and installing ULV kernels on them (ultra low volt) with customization of CPU frequencies, what triggers the change of frequencies, and how long the CPU will stay at a frequency. Those of us with the Droid 1 who accidentally put the CPU frequency too low that the phone wouldn't wake up - lol, that was a crap in the pants.

My point for the above info is that this was back in the Droid 1 days (2009-2010). Today being 2017 I imagine the Kernels and CPU frequency switchers are 50x more complicated today.

This is why there has to be a discrepancy on the benchmarks and why they aren't consistent across the board. Yes, the 6s and 6s+ (and 6, 6+, 7, 7+) had battery issues. My wife had a 6s+ that shut off walking in the park under 60%.

Instead of manning up to the problem, Apple tried to quietly keep under wraps that defective batteries were in its phones. Problem is, customers aren't stupid and are very informed. Though MOST customers probably don't give a rat's *** about benchmarks, a vocal minority does.

All customers see is 50% reduction of power. Whether or not a 1400mhz 1 cycle was split to 2 cycles at 700mhz in Apple's eyes, customers are going to be furious.

Yeah, I don't claim to know what's going on either. All I know is my 6s+ was great, one of the best phones I've ever had. My wife's 6s+ was her worst iPhone ever.

I'm gunna say that there is a lot more going behind the scenes that we'll never know. Apple should have just replaced the batteries of those of us who came in with problems ... instead of turning a blind eye to it (they knew it was a problem cuz they initiated the 6s replacement) ... especially with those of us who had AppleCare+ (and have for many many iPhones).

Hope Apple learns from this. I paid good money for my 8+. I expect to get several years or more of use out of it for the cost I paid.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’m really confused. I think you somewhere misinterpreted what I said along the lines. No where am I defending Apple. All I am saying is that it is normal for a failing battery to turn off randomly. And this is highly off topic to my original statement saying that 88% is 60% consumed.
I understand. And I never claimed otherwise. Something has seriously been misinterpreted throughout this conversation. Because of that. I’m going to leave it at this. Maybe someone can point out where this conversation took a serious left turn. Because this is no where the original topic I started it at.
If you aren't somehow attacking Apple then even if you are just asking questions or commenting on various things that have nothing to do with somehow defending Apple you are automatically defending them simply by the virtue that you aren't attacking them. It's the polarizing take on things that often gets used unfortunately.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Nice try but that won't help much when in some cases people's iPhones are slowed down by 50-60% and they become painfully bad and frustrating to use.
In those cases try to hunt down an Apple store that might have some batteries in stock to get your device up to speed for $29;)

It helps.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
If you aren't somehow attacking Apple then even if you are just asking questions or commenting on various things that have nothing to do with somehow defending Apple you are automatically defending them simply by the virtue that you aren't attacking them. It's the polarizing take on things that often gets used unfortunately.

Hey I guess we're not all just blind followers for Apple and can clearly see what's going on without trying to make excuses for Apple.
And why should one try to make excuses and cover up for a company that clearly deceives them?
Theres one thing asking questions and another making false claims and and trying to play off this fiasco as a great "feature".
[doublepost=1515043182][/doublepost]
It helps.

A little I guess.
It would still drive me nuts getting throttled like that though:D

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
It is common battery knowledge that once the battery reaches 80% health remaining, the battery becomes unstable. The chemicals are unable to hold a charge and that is why you see massive reduction in battery performance and the occasional battery shutting off at 50%. Even Apple classifies a failing battery at 80%, hence why all AppleCare devices get a free battery replacement at 80% or less health remaining. Not holding a charge is the same exact thing as "failing". The usable life of the battery is consumed, thus, it has failed.
My sons 5s experiences zero shutdowns. It may not make it all day if he plays some intense games, but has never shutdown.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Theres one thing asking questions and another making false claims and and trying to play off this fiasco as a great "feature".
And despite that difference, unfortunately often enough those two and most things in-between will still get painted with a broad brushstroke and pigeonholed into the the same extreme dichotomy.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
And despite that difference, unfortunately often enough those two and most things in-between will still get painted with a broad brushstroke and pigeonholed into the the same extreme dichotomy.

Yes, but I guess we'll have to sit back and see how this all plays out in the near future.
Personally I'm glad all this eventually came out cause as it was before hidden and unclear was a very bad thing for consumers.
But recent moves and announcements made by Apple and hope further software options, the user being able to monitor what is going with their device, being able to get their battery replaced are all steps in the right direction. ;)
And what happens as far as class action lawsuits and various government probes and proceedings against Apple are all good moves in order to keep all companies accountable and more transparent.

Reactions: z970

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yup, same old same old by the same old same old.

Geekbench will have done well out of all of this with some people. Benchmarking iphones what is next, putting s rolls Royce on the rolling road to measure whether “sufficient” is actually sufficient.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
People are getting this throttling thing entirely wrong.

Throttling basically reduces your phone's CPUs peak output. The thing is, no phone runs at 100% CPU 24x7. Almost 80% of time it's going to be running underclocked because texting or snapchat or facebook or Safari doesn't require the full power of the CPU. Throttled phone or not, this tasks would not be affected because CPU is never running at the full speed. It's the intensive apps like photo editing, video editing, gaming that would be affected because the CPU is "capped".

It's like driving a car, you don't utilize your cars 100% potential. You go pedal to the metal like once in a blue moon. So if that your car's engine RPM is capped at 5k, your normal driving which includes driving in 1500-2500 RPM range is not going to be affected.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Sorry, there is a lot of “well this didn’t happen with older models” going on here, and that in isolation means diddly squat.

Comparing how two devices with different power demands handle their batteries in the long term is valid, but the conclusions being drawn here (that there’s some kind of conspiracy) based on these anecdotes alone are not.

It may well be that the batteries used in later devices are somehow inferior, but saying “well my 5 never did this” is meaningless.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Funny thing no batteries before that fiasco had issues with phones shutting off randomly.
I have a few older iPhone 5 and 5c models with original batteries that run fine without turning off. They don't hold charge for as long as original but the devices never shut off randomly at 30% or 50% for example.
The i6 and 6S batteries where either very bad quality or straight defective.
And this feature was just a band aid for Apple. Instead of doing the right thing they thought they could sweep it under the rug.
Now it came back to bite them really bad:D

I haven't seen this discussed, but it's possible that the SoCs in the 5S and earlier simply didn't apply the same demands to the battery that their more powerful successors did. I'm not saying that's a fact, it's just a theory, but I think it's plausible. Silicon tech keeps advancing significantly, battery tech hasn't.

smock

Suspended
Jan 4, 2018
Funny thing no batteries before that fiasco had issues with phones shutting off randomly.
I have a few older iPhone 5 and 5c models with original batteries that run fine without turning off. They don't hold charge for as long as original but the devices never shut off randomly at 30% or 50% for example.
And this feature was just a band aid for Apple. Instead of doing the right thing they thought they could sweep it under the rug.
Because apple stoped using Samsung provided batteries. And now they use cheap Chinese ones.
[doublepost=1515071834][/doublepost]
When apple stopped using Samsung batteries the problems started.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
88% health remaining is significant wear. Batteries becomes unstable and begin to fail at 80%. Thus, you have consumed 60% of your batteries usable life.
Can you elaborate on this? How do you calculate that the 60% of the battery life has been consumed when the capacity of the battery is down by 12%?

R740

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
London
People are getting this throttling thing entirely wrong.

Throttling basically reduces your phone's CPUs peak output. The thing is, no phone runs at 100% CPU 24x7. Almost 80% of time it's going to be running underclocked because texting or snapchat or facebook or Safari doesn't require the full power of the CPU. Throttled phone or not, this tasks would not be affected because CPU is never running at the full speed. It's the intensive apps like photo editing, video editing, gaming that would be affected because the CPU is "capped".

It's like driving a car, you don't utilize your cars 100% potential. You go pedal to the metal like once in a blue moon. So if that your car's engine RPM is capped at 5k, your normal driving which includes driving in 1500-2500 RPM range is not going to be affected.

Dear, I think you understand the throttling in the wrong way, not us. Lots of my friends and relatives with 6 and 6s series phones felt drastically degrading speed in day-to-day usage tasks like opening applications, using yours mentioned FB, SC and browsing. Not the majority of people use their phones to do heavy photo, video editing or graphics-intensive gaming. It is the daily tasks that become pain in the ***.

My sons 5s experiences zero shutdowns. It may not make it all day if he plays some intense games, but has never shutdown.

From my friend's experiences I can clearly agree to that. My two friends just did some basic speed comparison between 6 and 5s and the old-man 5s beat it's taller successor by a huge margin. The pre-throttling phones stay much more usable and reliable in the long-term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.