Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Only difference is the slow down is not as big as 800 to 108,but 300 to 220-230 and that too only at high end of the RPM. Basically if you buy a Ferrari and always drive it in a neighborhood, Ferrari capping your max power won't affect you, it's only when you drive it on a track than the capping is noticeable. Because BHP is what the engine produces at WOT(google what it means) not how that power is applied and at what RPM.

When you use an analogy, use it right because then you come across as misinformed.

Apple is smoothening out the peaks NOT slowing the phone down completely across the board. So your texting, FaceBook, Candy crush wont be affected anyway.

No, you are misinformed and the amount of slowdown is irrelevant. I dont want any slow down at all period.
The slowdown in some devices is up to 50% of original CPU speed. They are not smoothing out the peaks, they are smoothing out their pockets.
You still dont get it or you just like to play devils advocate and making excuses for shady and deceptive practices?
That's totally unacceptable to all normal people and in a sneaky and shady way that Apple did it behind their customers back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
No, you are misinformed and the amount of slowdown is irrelevant. I dont want any slow down at all period.
The slowdown in some devices is up to 50% of original CPU speed. They are not smoothing out the peaks, they are smoothing out their pockets.
You still dont get it or you just like to play devils advocate and making excuses for shady and deceptive practices?
That's totally unacceptable to all normal people and in a sneaky and shady way that Apple did it behind their customers back.

About CPUs being throttled as much as 50%, a quick search on geekbench's website shows ~5-8% of iPhone 6 being throttled by 40% or more. That's a very small number and probably occurs in very old devices. So in those cases would you rather want an unreliable device or a device that is reliable but just slower. You still don't understand even with a 50% slowdown (That you claim), a 6S will still roughly be around iPhone 6 level and your daily tasks like messaging,safari would not have a very apparent effect.

iPhone 6 being slow has more to do with the RAM bottleneck than CPU throttling.

Instead of spending hours on this website and on other sites ranting about this slowdown, you are free to not buy Apple products and let your wallet talk. This affecting their sales numbers would let them know they were wrong.

I honestly don't care about this "slowdown". I don't use phones for more than 12 months. It doesn't affect me in anyway.

Having said that, I have already mentioned this before that Apple needed to inform the customers about this. Them being sneaky about does nothing but **** their reputation and give people the fodder to attack them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Then either way its a design defect with hardware or battery.
If Apple puts out a product with a battery that cannot meet voltage demands and needs to slow down the processor by 50% then that is a big problem.
[doublepost=1515213761][/doublepost]

Hey you bought and paid for a V12 Ferrari but the manufacturer later decides that they will slow it down to a Toyota Echo speeds.
Who needs 800 Horsepower anyway? Nobody uses all that power.
You can get from point A to point B with 108 Horsepower and your gas tank will last longer. See they did you a favor with this new "feature".
Same type of logic as you are arguing with the poster above :D lol

Hahaha!!

Just tell the hot babe in the passenger seat **** happens hahahaha!

This was too funny.

This whole thing is a joke. Like literally a joke. And it would be funny except the jokes on us.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Only difference is the slow down is not as big as 800 to 108,but 300 to 220-230 and that too only at high end of the RPM. Basically if you buy a Ferrari and always drive it in a neighborhood, Ferrari capping your max power won't affect you, it's only when you drive it on a track than the capping is noticeable. Because BHP is what the engine produces at WOT(google what it means) not how that power is applied and at what RPM.

When you use an analogy, use it right because then you come across as misinformed.

Apple is smoothening out the peaks NOT slowing the phone down completely across the board. So your texting, FaceBook, Candy crush wont be affected anyway.

This is the point, I think. Throttling doesn't (as far as I can tell from reading) have any measurable effect on most people's use of the phone. Extreme gamers, maybe. Serial benchmarks, yes. What most people do with their phones almost all the time? I don't think so.

BTW, since this is primarily driven by battery technology not being up to the demands of silicon tech, aren't Android phones in the same bind?

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
About CPUs being throttled as much as 50%, a quick search on geekbench's website shows ~5-8% of iPhone 6 being throttled by 40% or more. That's a very small number and probably occurs in very old devices. So in those cases would you rather want an unreliable device or a device that is reliable but just slower. You still don't understand even with a 50% slowdown (That you claim), a 6S will still roughly be around iPhone 6 level and your daily tasks like messaging,safari would not have a very apparent effect.

iPhone 6 being slow has more to do with the RAM bottleneck than CPU throttling.

Instead of spending hours on this website and on other sites ranting about this slowdown, you are free to not buy Apple products and let your wallet talk. This affecting their sales numbers would let them know they were wrong.

I honestly don't care about this "slowdown". I don't use phones for more than 12 months. It doesn't affect me in anyway.

Having said that, I have already mentioned this before that Apple needed to inform the customers about this. Them being sneaky about does nothing but **** their reputation and give people the fodder to attack them.

Defenders will defend no matter what.....it's too funny.

Reactions: fatlardo and Altis

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
So, you don’t know the difference between knowledge and experiences. Got it.

Google it. I’ve already posted one source here. It’s common knowledge.

"common knowledge" = anecdotal evidence or too lazy to find sources. Also, you linked Cadex, which themselves sells batteries, which is not a source with an unbiased opinion.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
"common knowledge" = anecdotal evidence or too lazy to find sources. Also, you linked Cadex, which themselves sells batteries, which is not a source with an unbiased opinion.
Wait. You mean, those that sell batteries aren’t knowledgable about batteries? Don’t be ridiculous. They aren’t selling you a battery by telling you how batteries work.

I guess it must be anecdotal evidence that the sun rises in the east and sets in the West.

You clearly don’t know what the definition of common knowledge is.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Wait. You mean, those that sell batteries aren’t knowledgable about batteries? Don’t be ridiculous. They aren’t selling you a battery by telling you how batteries work.

I guess it must be anecdotal evidence that the sun rises in the east and sets in the West.

You clearly don’t know what the definition of common knowledge is.

Wow. Dont even know where to start. If a car company told you that you have to buy a new car with a new set of tires from there shop ever year, would you believe that as well? I mean they sell cars, they are knowledgable about cars! If you don't understand how a website telling you about battery degradation, that also sells batteries might potentially be biased....

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wow. Dont even know where to start. If a car company told you that you have to buy a new car with a new set of tires from there shop ever year, would you believe that as well? I mean they sell cars, they are knowledgable about cars! If you don't understand how a website telling you about battery degradation, that also sells batteries might potentially be biased....
That is a terrible analogy.

I’m going to leave it at that because this is pointless and a waste of both of our time.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

Why is this not enabled on iPhone X? It's pretty convenient that the newest iPhones never support this feature when they are the flagships.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why is this not enabled on iPhone X? It's pretty convenient that the newest iPhones never support this feature when they are the flagships.
Because it's still new with new batteries and shouldn't be affected by this?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Because it's still new with new batteries and shouldn't be affected by this?
But as you were saying in an earlier thread, enabling it doesnt mean all iPhones are throttled, only those which have defective or worne out batteries will be. So whats the harm in enabling it on the X. It doesnt mean the X will be throttled.

Reactions: Altis

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
But as you were saying in an earlier thread, enabling it doesnt mean all iPhones are throttled, only those which have defective or worne out batteries will be. So whats the harm in enabling it on the X. It doesnt mean the X will be throttled.

To be fair though, we don't know that it isn't already in there waiting to be active. It's interesting that the 7 wasn't throttled when it came out, but now even new ones could be.

I mean, we wouldn't want Apple to have to replace batteries under warranty, would we? ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The rationally likely harm is that the common public, and even beyond, won't really understand that or misunderstand it and think they have a problem and their device is being throttled even when it's not?

Even in this thread and others there's the ongoing misconception (perhaps even willful) that all the included devices are automatically throttled rather than simply being in the enabled group that would only be throttled if the battery isn't up to par. And this is in a place where people for the most part are more educated about these types of things than the common consumer.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The rationally likely harm is that the common public, and even beyond, won't really understand that or misunderstand it and think they have a problem and their device is being throttled even when it's not?

Even in this thread and others there's the ongoing misconception (perhaps even willful) that all the included devices are automatically throttled rather than simply being in the enabled group that would only be throttled if the battery isn't up to par. And this is in a place where people for the most part are more educated about these types of things than the common consumer.
You are not gettting the point here. If this was not planned obsolescence Apple should have no issues enabling this on the X because as all batteries are new which means none of them will slow down according to you. If Apple enabled this feature on all devices, maybe people won't look at them suspiciously as they do now.

The reason it's not enabled on the X is because if it's enabled some iPhone X will be throttled and Apple doesn't want to slow down their current flagship.

Reactions: z970

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You are not gettting the point here. If this was not planned obsolescence Apple should have no issues enabling this on the X because as all batteries are new which means none of them will slow down according to you. If Apple enabled this feature on all devices, maybe people won't look at them suspiciously as they do now.

The reason it's not enabled on the X is because if it's enabled some iPhone X will be throttled and Apple doesn't want to slow down their current flagship.
I get the point, there's just more to it than just one or two opposite extreme takes. You on the other hand don't seem to be willing to accept that basic reality, and that things can have more to them or something different to them than just one particular extreme take.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I get the point, there's just more to it than just one or two opposite extreme takes. You on the other hand don't seem to be willing to accept that basic reality, and that things can have more to them or something different to them than just one particular extreme take.
Seems the French Authorities and those 26+ lawsuits worldwide seem to disagree with you. At this point planned obsolescence is a fact and it's on you to disprove it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems the French Authorities and those 26+ lawsuits worldwide seem to disagree with you. At this point planned obsolescence is a fact and it's on you to disprove it.
Still pretending that facts are something other than what they are. Not surprising.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Still pretending that facts are something other than what they are. Not surprising.
Is it not a fact that currently the newest iPhones are the only iPhones on the planet which are not subject to throttling?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is it not a fact that currently the newest iPhones are the only iPhones on the planet which are not subject to throttling?
That is almost a fact, given that some earlier iPhones aren't subject to throttling either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.