Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
is it sad that one of the things i am most excited about is the shirts!? haha

yeah i understand what you are saying. this store seems to have a good soul to it. the manager talked about how they are there to help people are are against the idea of forcing hardware out the door for the sake of numbers. "we dont need to" he says. I feel real good about it. Tomorrow is the first day. exciting!

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
kinda on the same topic. . . .

what is the 'right stuff' to work at apple? im a college student and could only work part time, and od hours . . . but i have a lot of computer experience and mac experience (and well of course i LOVE macs!!!)

what about applying, on-line, in person, what is the best approach? there are two stores here in dallas so i guess that would double my possiblities for jobs!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
DreaminDirector said:
Yeah, take it from an ex-employee as well. My store was not to keen on us being on MacRumors or any of the other sites. The problem is not really rumors (since as Retail employees you hear about practically nothing), it's that if you start speculating or saying things like "yeah, I hear the new iPod is coming out too and we're low on stock on the current ones" that some customers take that as gospel. Managers scold you if you say anything that sounds like a rumor or opinion. Honestly, it's a retail job that doesn't pay commission.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it while I was there. But as time progressed, there were less "fanatic apple fan" employees and more "let's get the bottom line numbers up" salespeople. I know, I know, Apple is a business and that is the nature of commerce. ....

The thing is, I don't see the "sales-focused" approach working. I've been to a number of Apple Stores (six so far), many of which I've visited a number of different times (so as to see different staff), and what I've seen is that the sales - the number of boxes people carry out the door - are higher when employee enthusiasm is higher and the staff actually spends time showing people how fun and useful Macs can be. It seems like, anymore, most Apple Stores are practically sterile. You walk in, you see the Macs, and you walk out.

On Black Friday, we were in Syracuse, NY, and when my wife was out shopping with friends in the Carousel Mall, I spent my time around the brand spanking new mini Apple Store there. First, I just walked in and looked around. The mini stores (or at least this one) are pretty much half iPod/half iMac and iBook. This one had no PowerMacs and no eMacs on display. Still, a nice setup given the small space. After about 5 minutes, I went to sit on the bench outside and listened to an audiobook on my iPod. My wife can spend many hours shopping, esp. when with friends, so I'm used to this. Thank God for the iPod. Anyway, I saw lots and lots of people walk in, look, and walk out. I figured that most of them weren't like me - used to Macs, used to Apple Stores, familiar with everything in there. I also noticed that none of the Apple employees was doing much except for answering questions - no real attempts to demonstrate anything unless they were asked and then only briefly. So, I walked back in. I have no experience selling anything aside from some pretty poor results from selling popcorn and candy in junior high. Anyway, I saw a woman and her son feebly trying to do something on an iMac, and no one was helping her. At the time, the employee/customer ratio was greater than one, so there was no excuse. I asked her what she was trying to do, started talking with them, and got her excited about a lot of the OS X features and iLife apps. She walked out with a 20" iMac. People who had been watching this asked a few questions. One bought a 14" iBook. One was so impressed she bought three (!) 12" iBooks for her grandkids (I loved my grandparents, but I never got anything close to that nice from them...). So... 10 minutes in the store, 5 Macs purchased. Approximately an hour of watching before that while listening to "Speaker for the Dead": zero Macs sold. Coincidence, perhaps, but unlikely.

Not only that, but the store had almost no display of the sales going on - tiny red tags. Why they didn't have a big red banner or poster board loudly announcing "$101 off all iMacs! iPods on sale!" or whatever puzzles me still.

So... while I understand the "retail" approach, I think that people who are potential Mac customers will respond a lot better to positive proactive demos and help as opposed to sterile only-answer-questions-briefly techniques.

So, earthtoandy, while I know you can't respond anymore now that you're officially one of "them" (;)), please try to give people a reason to be interested when they walk in. I haven't been to the Phoenix store - but the one in Tucson, when I visited, was quite uninviting. Well, not uninviting, just not inviting. The employees were superfluous and made no impact on people who entered - people would have been just as likely to decide to buy a Mac if they'd entered the store when it was unstaffed. Don't let that be the case with your customers!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
DreaminDirector said:
Good luck with the job. Enjoy the HUGE number of Apple shirts they give you. You get so many, you could almost wear a new one each time you come in to work.

They used to give out T-shirts whenever you bought a Mac, too. :)

Not anymore. :(

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
Wow some great information. I kinda felt that way about some apple store employees. The ones that are hard core sales people lol. What happened to the mac geeks? Is that what happens when Apple's sales desires harden your heart lol hehe

j/k
chris

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
jsw said:
The thing is, I don't see the "sales-focused" approach working. I've been to a number of Apple Stores (six so far), many of which I've visited a number of different times (so as to see different staff), and what I've seen is that the sales - the number of boxes people carry out the door - are higher when employee enthusiasm is higher and the staff actually spends time showing people how fun and useful Macs can be. It seems like, anymore, most Apple Stores are practically sterile. You walk in, you see the Macs, and you walk out.

On Black Friday, we were in Syracuse, NY, and when my wife was out shopping with friends in the Carousel Mall, I spent my time around the brand spanking new mini Apple Store there. First, I just walked in and looked around. The mini stores (or at least this one) are pretty much half iPod/half iMac and iBook. This one had no PowerMacs and no eMacs on display. Still, a nice setup given the small space. After about 5 minutes, I went to sit on the bench outside and listened to an audiobook on my iPod. My wife can spend many hours shopping, esp. when with friends, so I'm used to this. Thank God for the iPod. Anyway, I saw lots and lots of people walk in, look, and walk out. I figured that most of them weren't like me - used to Macs, used to Apple Stores, familiar with everything in there. I also noticed that none of the Apple employees was doing much except for answering questions - no real attempts to demonstrate anything unless they were asked and then only briefly. So, I walked back in. I have no experience selling anything aside from some pretty poor results from selling popcorn and candy in junior high. Anyway, I saw a woman and her son feebly trying to do something on an iMac, and no one was helping her. At the time, the employee/customer ratio was greater than one, so there was no excuse. I asked her what she was trying to do, started talking with them, and got her excited about a lot of the OS X features and iLife apps. She walked out with a 20" iMac. People who had been watching this asked a few questions. One bought a 14" iBook. One was so impressed she bought three (!) 12" iBooks for her grandkids (I loved my grandparents, but I never got anything close to that nice from them...). So... 10 minutes in the store, 5 Macs purchased. Approximately an hour of watching before that while listening to "Speaker for the Dead": zero Macs sold. Coincidence, perhaps, but unlikely.

Not only that, but the store had almost no display of the sales going on - tiny red tags. Why they didn't have a big red banner or poster board loudly announcing "$101 off all iMacs! iPods on sale!" or whatever puzzles me still.

So... while I understand the "retail" approach, I think that people who are potential Mac customers will respond a lot better to positive proactive demos and help as opposed to sterile only-answer-questions-briefly techniques.

So, earthtoandy, while I know you can't respond anymore now that you're officially one of "them" (;)), please try to give people a reason to be interested when they walk in. I haven't been to the Phoenix store - but the one in Tucson, when I visited, was quite uninviting. Well, not uninviting, just not inviting. The employees were superfluous and made no impact on people who entered - people would have been just as likely to decide to buy a Mac if they'd entered the store when it was unstaffed. Don't let that be the case with your customers!

I think i know what you mean, i have only been to the regent street store here in London but on day 1, the big opening everyone was happy faces and mega helpful! i went in today, not a very busy time i thought but there were still alot of people in there and the apple staff weren't half as bouncy and happy as they were before. strange huh? people were being helped etc but on that first day it was amazing, it was almost business as usual today where as before they made you feel special even if you didn't end up buying something. (i did though, i have no control:() they need to keep people feeling good and special in order to get them to part with massive amounts of cash, otherwise if having a mac wasn't better then why stop using your windows pc? its the whole package that they should be trying to sell.

Not that i am trying to say that if you own a mac you are automatically happy.....wait a minute! :)

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I go into the Chandler (AZ) Apple Store all the time (the store manager recognizes me as a "regular," how sad is that?) and I always see the employees talking to customers and showing them how things work, etc. I think it's important the the Apple Stores hire people (like JSW! Good job) who love macs and will demonstrate them to people out of a desire to spread the good word rather than just to make a sale.
Congratulations on your job, earthtoandy, if I'm ever in the Biltmore store I'll come over and say hi.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
jsw said:

I agree with you 100%, jsw. I sort of minimized my experience into a paragraph which lost alot of the good about working there. I sold alot of computers on enthusiasm and getting to know the person and their needs. Be friendly and know not only about the apple hardware (and software) but know when it's right for certain people. I've downsold people from Final Cut Pro to iLife because it fit what they wanted to do as a final product. And remember, not everyone who comes in there are going to be Apple fans. There's alot of PC users who have secretly walked in there because they want to switch. Treat these people with as much kindness and hard facts as you can find. They are the biggest fans when you show them the good things about Apple.

stevehaslip said:
I think i know what you mean, i have only been to the regent street store here in London but on day 1, the big opening everyone was happy faces and mega helpful! i went in today, not a very busy time i thought but there were still alot of people in there and the apple staff weren't half as bouncy and happy as they were before. strange huh? people were being helped etc but on that first day it was amazing, it was almost business as usual today where as before they made you feel special even if you didn't end up buying something. (i did though, i have no control) they need to keep people feeling good and special in order to get them to part with massive amounts of cash, otherwise if having a mac wasn't better then why stop using your windows pc? its the whole package that they should be trying to sell.

I think it's because the management hires all of the Apple superfans for their grand openings of the store and slowly adds the hardlined retail sales guys later. But I think that's part of what Apple is, you know. It's the sex appeal of the brand that brings you in (not as in sex with computer, but as in the attraction to them :) ).

jsw said:
The thing is, I don't see the "sales-focused" approach working.

One last thing about this (I see that I'm finally venting about my experience at Apple, so I'll be off my soapbox after this....) is a funny story:
When I was working there, the 17" powerbook we just announced. When we finally got a few of them in stock, a guy, who had been calling every day for about a month, came down to get one. Now, when he got there, he was giddy with excitement, but the sales guy started to push Applecare on him. The guy declined and the sales guy pushed again. Another decline. I watched as this guy, who came in excited, started to think about this big purchase. The sales guy got one of our assistant managers, and had them push Applecare on this guy. Finally, the straw broke and this once happy guy had an outburst in the middle of the store. He said, almost screaming "what is so wrong with this computer that I need to make sure I have a warranty on it? I no longer trust that's it's going to last me over a year". And of course sprinkle that quote with some profanities and some finger pointing. The guy left without powerbook in tow. The manager was told of the incident, we had a meeting about sales tactics, but in the end, policies were never changed. I guess that wasn't too funny of a story. Oh well...

At any rate, enjoy the shirts, earthtoandy. I still have a bunch of them. I wear the simple apple ones from time to time. Most importantly, enjoy yourself there. Don't get caught up in the sales end of it. Make people feel good about getting a Mac and they'll make you feel like a hero for a day.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
stevehaslip said:
I think i know what you mean, i have only been to the regent street store here in London but on day 1, the big opening everyone was happy faces and mega helpful! i went in today, not a very busy time i thought but there were still alot of people in there and the apple staff weren't half as bouncy and happy as they were before. strange huh? people were being helped etc but on that first day it was amazing, it was almost business as usual today where as before they made you feel special even if you didn't end up buying something. (i did though, i have no control:() they need to keep people feeling good and special in order to get them to part with massive amounts of cash, otherwise if having a mac wasn't better then why stop using your windows pc? its the whole package that they should be trying to sell.

Not that i am trying to say that if you own a mac you are automatically happy.....wait a minute! :)

Dont forget on the first day, there's all the full timers, all the part timers, and a load of staff from Apple retail USA (admin staff, but they were dressed like store employees on opening day).

I was speaking with the manager the other day, and he said they didnt quite expect the crowds they are currently getting, so they are going to be hiring more people over the coming weeks. It could just be that Apple underestimated the number of people that would shop there.

In terms of the staff, I've found them to be very friendly. Once you engage in conversation with them, they seem to remember you the next time round. For instance, I was talking to one female staff member at the start of the week about my iMac delivery delays, and when I went in today she walked straight up to me and she was like 'So! Did you get it? Has it arrived yet?, Do you like it?'

Overall the staff seem very friendly to me, and hopefully it should be even better when there are some more staff during the christmas period.. :)

/asif

exappleretail

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2004
Why Selling Sucks at Apple

The reason why there is no motivation is simple -- staff are expected to "attach" .Mac, AppleCare, and ProCare. They do not have any ability to beat MacMall prices. They are constantly berated with questions about how Macs aren't "compatible" without any defintion of what compatible is. They are not properly trained. There is very little room for promotion. And so on and so on. The problems with Apple Retail are much deeper than sharing the love, it's about being expected to be enthusiastic while having to worry about stupid crap that Apple shouldn't be putting on it's staff...

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
hey guys, i have been SERIOUSLY thinking about becoming an apple store employee this summer... i am thinkin of working for about two months or so, or part time... my question is, what is the pay, is it minimum wage or do they pay on commision? also, i will be 18 by this summer and just about to start college, that shouldn't be a prob, would it?

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
exappleretail said:
The problems with Apple Retail are much deeper than sharing the love, it's about being expected to be enthusiastic while having to worry about stupid crap that Apple shouldn't be putting on it's staff...

Here, here to that! I was part of the store opening staff, who was all uber-enthusiasts. Slowly they were replaced by the people who had to look over spec sheets and product lists before they went on to the floor. I can tell you that none of the original staff ever accidently said "oh ess ex".

Ah, they aren't all bad. And it's not their fault either. I'm just venting.....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
tfaz1 said:
Just a little advice from a former Apple employee...

One thing you will have to kiss goodbye is posting any further comments on this or other "rumor" sites. Your contract with Apple strictly forbids any such behavior and, believe me, Apple takes this sort of thing very seriously. You now represent the company, so even one comment (however small) is grounds for termination. Just ask your manager. He/She will explain this to you in more detail.

Enjoy your time there. Apple can be a great place to work.
What if you just participate in say the community discussions and things like that. He has already blown it, but I was going to say they have no way of knowing who you are, and as long as your not stupid and share secrets or anything that breaches an NDA you would probably be fine. "Fine" as in not getting caught, not fine by Apple's standards.

jon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
CubaTBird said:
hey guys, i have been SERIOUSLY thinking about becoming an apple store employee this summer... i am thinkin of working for about two months or so, or part time... my question is, what is the pay, is it minimum wage or do they pay on commision? also, i will be 18 by this summer and just about to start college, that shouldn't be a prob, would it?
Probably is a problem. I doubt they are looking at hiring people to just work for two months and leave them. Plus your 18, I don't know how Apple works but I doubt they hire people that young, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'll find out one day though. If I was to ever move from this town say to a bigger city with a store I would probably apply. It would be the only job where I feel home, plus I wouldn't need any certs of training of any kind, already good to go.

jon

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
iJon said:
Plus your 18, I don't know how Apple works but I doubt they hire people that young, but I could be wrong.
jon
They do, 18 is the youngest they hire. I don't know if there's any luck in summer jobs though, they tend to want to keep people with them for a while.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
MacFan26 said:
They do, 18 is the youngest they hire. I don't know if there's any luck in summer jobs though, they tend to want to keep people with them for a while.

I have to vouch for that as well. I left after 8 months and they weren't too happy...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
MacFan26 said:
No, I understand that's the min age, it's just the Apple Stores I have been too I haven't seen anyone that young. They might be biased towards young 18 y/o's cause of lack of experience or anything else they could pin to them.

jon

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Some stores are still up to par

The Apple store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago has the most helpful staff of any Apple store I have been in. They actually cared about my problem, so if you are ever in Chicago I recommend checking it out. :)

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
tfaz1 said:
Again, talk to your manager. ANY posting on rumor sites could be grounds for termination, not just speculation about future products. They could have changed the policy since I left, but I doubt it. I don't want to be a buzzkill, but while I was at Apple, a retail employee was fired just for posting on an Apple forum. His posts weren't about rumors or Apple products either.

Apple takes this stuff VERY seriously and Steve generally dislikes the rumor sites. They don't want employees participating in these discussions at all. My advice, if you like your new job, is to just read and keep your opinions to yourself - regardless of what the subject might be. That's what I had to do...

He's right about postings. I worked at the Apple Store at the Grove in LA and the Intellectual Property Rights document and the Non Disclousure Agreements are pretty strict. I asked about forums and the manager told me it would be a breach of the NDA if any information about how the store operates is divulged as well as future product releases. You may want to watch how much information you give about the storage basement as well as the interview process as both of these fall under their NDA.

Good luck. It is a cool place to work and the people are really great.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
kasei said:
He's right about postings. I worked at the Apple Store at the Grove in LA and the Intellectual Property Rights document and the Non Disclousure Agreements are pretty strict. I asked about forums and the manager told me it would be a breach of the NDA if any information about how the store operates is divulged as well as future product releases. You may want to watch how much information you give about the storage basement as well as the interview process as both of these fall under their NDA.

Good luck. It is a cool place to work and the people are really great.
Yeah that seems more in line. Basically don't go "Hey, my manager told me something new is coming out in a couple of weeks, don't buy." He will need to learn to keep it strictly helping out people or just participating in the community discussion. Last time I remember someone getting fired for all this was some employee who left his web-server open, someone got in and found some pictures of some special software the employees use for internal use only. Pictures were posted and the guy was fired the next day. Take a little common sense into posting here as well as what you tell people about your job and he will probably be fine.

jon

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
CubaTBird said:

No offense but why would Apple want to hire someone (which is expensive; interviewing & background check) and train them for 2 months of part-time employment. Not going to happen.

stephenrydalch

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2004
I work at a campus computer store that is an Apple, Dell and Gateway reseller. While my posting on this forum should make it clear where my bias lies, I am very grateful that Apple is NOT my boss. The Apple region rep will visit our store every now and again and tries to act like my boss, despite him having no power over me whatsoever.

He works on commission, I don't. He tries to get us to push powerbooks over iBooks (which I agree with but not for the same reasons as him), Dual G5's over iMacs etc. And if we mention any hint of liking something about one of the Windows computers we sell it's a big problem.

I guess my point is that not everyone in the Apple world lives up to the ideals most people in this forum subscribe to. They are ideals and Apple is trying to run a business. Politics are very much present in their world. But enjoy your new job, it should be a lot of fun if you know what topics to avoid.

-Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.