Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Considering how I use my phone I upgrade about every four years on average. But I’m still very happy with my 8+ so I don’t see myself upgrading anytime soon. And when I do it’s a given I won’t be going for the then newest, latest and greatest, but for something already a couple of generations older. The 11 was being introduced when I got my 8+.

I’ve known very few people who upgrade every year. Most I‘ve known keep their phone for at least a few years if not several. One woman I work with recently upgraded from an iPhone 6 to a 13—thats quite a step up.

So the question is how often do you upgrade your phone and when you do upgrade do you get the current newest phone or one a few generations older?

Reactions: Saladin12 and Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Considering how I use my phone I upgrade about every four years on average. But I’m still very happy with my 8+ so I don’t see myself upgrading anytime soon. And when I do it’s a given I won’t be going for the then newest, latest and greatest, but for something already a couple of generations older. The 11 was being introduced when I got my 8+.

I’ve known very few people who upgrade every year. Most I‘ve known keep their phone for at least a few years if not several. One woman I work with recently upgraded from an iPhone 6 to a 13—thats quite a step up.

So the question is how often do you upgrade your phone and when you do upgrade do you get the current newest phone or one a few generations older?
That is pretty impressive! I used to upgrade every year or every two years sometimes, now with my 11 Pro Max I don’t see the point as much, I am thinking of simply getting the battery replaced sometime next year and then keep going with it for another year or 2, will see, depends on what the 14 Pro Max is like I guess.

The iPhone 8+ is still brilliant, an ex-colleague of mine who has become a good friend has had his 8+ I believe since launch and still going strong with it, I’ve also got a relative who has been using their iPhone X since launch and also very happy with it (launched same year as 8+).

Yes, when I do upgrade I go for the latest at the time.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Every 2.5 to 3.5 years.

2020-2021 was an exception. We went to Google Pixels in 2020 from the iPhone 6s/6s+. These were paid off in Feb. 2021 and we went to the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Normally we go for the newest due to the number of years in between upgrades, but in 2020 the Pixel 3a XL was more affordable and I wanted to try Android. We went with the 11PM this year because I don't feel like being another beta tester for speed upgrades (LTE to 5G). And I really saw no difference between the 11 and 12PM other than 5G. It also would have cost us more.

I was not willing to wait for the 13.

This is a new paradigm for us and I'm pretty okay with it. When we are done with these phones we will most likely upgrade to the model sold before the current one. I'm anticipating that to be the iPhone 14 when the iPhone 15 launches.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
My reasoning for not getting the newest is simple: cost. I get my phones on a plan (I’m with Koodo) and it simply costs less to get a phone a few generations older than getting the newest which costs more. As such my plan goes up only a few dollars when upgrading.

My demands on a phone are minor (as I see it) so having all the latest tech doesn’t really get me anywhere. My phone gets most of its use at work when I use it to look things up when talking to a customer. I don’t demand much of the camera. I text and access the internet to some extent. When I’m home I rarely look at my phone given I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and an upgraded mid 2011 iMac for my computer needs. Most of my internet access and browsing is done on my iPad and my iMac is predominantly for 3D modelling and Photoshop as hobbies.

Reactions: Saladin12

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The 8 Plus -STILL- is the “best” iPhone made. I’d take an 8 Plus over a 13 Pro Max every time. And probably the 14 and 15.

• Haha
Reactions: sonstar

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I get the phone that best meets my needs and budget regardless of what other models Apple offers, or what strangers on a forum think.
I get the phone I want, screw whether I need it or not, and budget be damned (I'll find a way to pay for it). Usually that means the largest capacity that Apple offers for the model I'm getting - again, I don't care if I need that or not. It's all about what I want.

My 11 Pro Max is the 512GB version for instance.

:D :D :D

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I didn’t own my first cellphone until I was 51(!). It was a metallic red Samsung flip phone. I quite liked it, but about two years later I upgraded to an iPhone 4. I kept that for a few years before upgrading to an iPhone 6. Then four years ago I upgraded to an 8+ and thats what I still have. I wanted a larger display as I was finding the screen of the 6 a bit too small. My 8+ is fantastic and I have no motivation to upgrade to anything anytime soon.

I know there are some people (mostly 50+) who are maybe intimidated by changing from a flip phone to a smart phone, but I tell them the change is worth it as the smart phone is not only more versatile, but easier to use and easier on your (aging) eyes. The list of contacts is much easier to navigate (it looks just like a directory in a book) than searching through a menu on a flip phone. And forget about texting on a flip phone.

I find Android confusing as hell and iOS much more intuitive, but maybe thats just me. When people come in asking for a phone or a tablet I direct them to what they’re most familiar with: Android or iOS. But if they haven’t had either before I recommend Apple first as I think it’s easier to learn from scratch.

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
It's sad that so many 20 somethings with virtually no money upgrade yearly. Save your money you will need it in the future
lol, no 20 somethings I know upgrade every year, and I have 2 myself plus all their friends, they use whatever they have till they break or don't work well. My 23 year old son has hand down 8+, daughter has a 12 mini got for $500AUD off coming from a 7.
From my experience they just want a iPhone that works well don't give a loss about the latest and greatest.
Get a grip on the real world.

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
I know there are some people (mostly 50+) who are maybe intimidated by changing from a flip phone to a smart phone, but I tell them the change is worth it as the smart phone is not only more versatile, but easier to use and easier on your (aging) eyes. The list of contacts is much easier to navigate (it looks just like a directory in a book) than searching through a menu on a flip phone. And forget about texting on a flip phone.
They are people that are just not that interested in tech, nothing to do with age bracket, geez I upgrade every year and am in 50's, I run my business with my iPhone, iPad,imac, phone is upgraded every year and a tax right off.

My 81 year old dad has a iPad for everything but still uses a button phone although a newer one, a phone to him is for calls/texts.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I get what I want when I want. That’s usually a few years apart. The 8+ served me well, now the 12 PM is an even nicer phone for me.

omeletpants

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2005
lol, no 20 somethings I know upgrade every year, and I have 2 myself plus all their friends, they use whatever they have till they break or don't work well. My 23 year old son has hand down 8+, daughter has a 12 mini got for $500AUD off coming from a 7.
From my experience they just want a iPhone that works well don't give a loss about the latest and greatest.
Get a grip on the real world.
That's cause you are in Aussie where people are sensible. In the US 20 somethings are irresponsible nitwits that waste their money and spend it all on phones and food delivery

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That's cause you are in Aussie where people are sensible. In the US 20 somethings are irresponsible nitwits that waste their money and spend it all on phones and food delivery

What an incredible in depth analysis for each country.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
Almost every year when I was on Android. I don' know if I will do the same on iPhone or not yet. The new shiny is hard to resist sometimes and besides gaming these devices are my only real habit so having the newest isn't a big deal. We'll see next year.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Been a member of the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program since it started. Love using it each year.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
depends on what’s on offer and the state of my current phone

when the home button stopped working on my original se after a couple years i replaced it with another original se because all of the other phones were too big for my taste

then i got a 12 mini on release and pretty happy with it. i’ll probably stick with it until it breaks.

i don’t really care about cameras which seem to be where most of the improvements are year to year now

it’s difficult for me to imagine a reason to upgrade at this point

Last edited:
Reactions: stinkhorn9

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
depends on what’s on offer and the state of my current phone

when the home button stopped working on my original se after a couple years i replaced it with another original se because all of the other phones were too big for my taste

then i got a 12 mini on release and pretty happy with it. i’ll probably stick with it until it breaks.

i don’t really care about cameras which seem to be where most of the improvements are year to year now
I like your logo pic up there.

Yeah, I’m not doing yearly upgrades. I would have preferred another year or two out of my XS Max. I wasn’t a fan of the 8plus, and the later phones have sold me on OLED tech, it’s quite impressive. I still have a plasma TV as my only tv though.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I didn’t own my first cellphone until I was 51(!). It was a metallic red Samsung flip phone. I quite liked it, but about two years later I upgraded to an iPhone 4. I kept that for a few years before upgrading to an iPhone 6. Then four years ago I upgraded to an 8+ and thats what I still have. I wanted a larger display as I was finding the screen of the 6 a bit too small. My 8+ is fantastic and I have no motivation to upgrade to anything anytime soon.

I find Android confusing as hell and iOS much more intuitive, but maybe thats just me. When people come in asking for a phone or a tablet I direct them to what they’re most familiar with: Android or iOS. But if they haven’t had either before I recommend Apple first as I think it’s easier to learn from scratch.
I ordered iphone 13 pro max and sold iphone 12 pro max before getting ordered one and decided to use a company issued microsoft duo for some time. But my order stuck in logistics and i am forced to use android and surface. not only android itself is confusing but surface is bad device too to degree i apologize to people when calling because of bad call sound, simple things are so complicated in android, the surface is laggy as hell and overall experience is just awful. I cant wait for my iphone to arrive!

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Depends on so many factors...
This year was the first time I could afford a premium option (the 13", which is still fairly expensive) as I had the cheap feeling XR first, but I couldn't afford the PRO.

Work is going brilliantly this year, so I'll probably get the 14" Pro by giving back the 13" in mint condition.
I expect at least a 500$ discount.

Going back in time, I got into the smartphone game only in my mid 20s and I had my first one in 2014 (A very cheap Moto G), and yet I kept it for 3 years, which is the maximum time I ever kept a smartphone.
Anyway the situation is so much different with Apple....with Android you're lucky if you get 2 years of major Android Updates, with Apple it's pretty normal to have 6 year old devices still being supported.
Also, cheap phones last way less than premium options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.