Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I ordered iphone 13 pro max and sold iphone 12 pro max before getting ordered one and decided to use a company issued microsoft duo for some time. But my order stuck in logistics and i am forced to use android and surface. not only android itself is confusing but surface is bad device too to degree i apologize to people when calling because of bad call sound, simple things are so complicated in android, the surface is laggy as hell and overall experience is just awful. I cant wait for my iphone to arrive!
Couldn't agree more.
Also, iOS does as much as Android (if not more and better) with half the RAM, or even less in the case of some Android flagships.

Not saying Android is all bad, and 12 seems to be a step in the right direction, but iOS is sure as hell lighter and more optimised.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Unfortunately I am one of those people that upgrade every year, and then sit thinking about my life decisions ?. I always buy my phone outright as I have a very good deal with the 3 network for a sim only plan. I pay £7 a month for my sim only which gives me unlimited mins,texts and data as I got it during a very good deal promotion.

Reactions: Saladin12

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Since the iPhone 6 I’ve always been getting the latest model. I’m just too much of a gadget freak not to skip on a generation.

And honestly, despite most people around me constantly telling me that the newest iPhone barely hasn’t changed over the previous model, I beg to differ. To many people it may not be enough to justify upgrading every single year, but to me it does.

And look, I’m not rich at all. Some people tend to think I am. But I’m just some IT Support Technician working education. However, I can still afford a new iPhone every year without worrying much.

Neither do I care about status or anything, which is also something people tend to think. Yes, it did matter in the past, when I was in school. But I have matured, and realized that nobody really cares about that, neither did I honestly care.

So it’s not about having too much money to spend, and it’s not about showing off to people.

I do have to admit that the iPhone Xs was an upgrade I have regretted a bit. Partly due to a disappointing battery life and a bare minimum upgrade in the camera department. But that never held me back from upgrading every year, especially with the Pro series offering pretty substantial reasons to upgrade. And this time I went from the 12 Pro to the 13 Pro Max, which - along with a 120 Hz display, faster CPU/GPU, better cameras, general improvements to the battery etc - added a larger screen and even longer battery life.

Call me crazy for doing yearly upgrades. But I’m loving it, and have zero regrets for doing so. ?

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Considering how I use my phone I upgrade about every four years on average. But I’m still very happy with my 8+ so I don’t see myself upgrading anytime soon. And when I do it’s a given I won’t be going for the then newest, latest and greatest, but for something already a couple of generations older. The 11 was being introduced when I got my 8+.

I’ve known very few people who upgrade every year. Most I‘ve known keep their phone for at least a few years if not several. One woman I work with recently upgraded from an iPhone 6 to a 13—thats quite a step up.

So the question is how often do you upgrade your phone and when you do upgrade do you get the current newest phone or one a few generations older?

I used to upgrade every two years (as is somewhat standard here in the U.K. with phone contracts). I had the Samsung S8 in 2017 and upgraded to the S10 in 2019. But my brother wanted the S10 and he had an XS - so we swapped about a month after I upgraded to the S10. (I was happy with this as I hadn’t had a iPhone since the 6S). Once my contract lapsed I went to a sim-only deal and reduced my monthlies by over 2/3s. I waited it out until September and got 13PM (I bought it outright and kept my sim-only deal). Thus making my longest period of ownership 2.5 years. I plan to keep this new 13PM for at least 3/4 years now - I’ll look to upgrade on the ‘24/‘25 iPhone models.

Reactions: AlexJ092

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
….with Android you're lucky if you get 2 years of major Android Updates, with Apple it's pretty normal to have 6 year old devices still being supported.
This is a key element when I’m asked what the differences are between Android and Apple. You can get some very nice Android devices, like Samsung, but the expected service life isn’t much. Sure you can still use them for quite some time after their last updates, particularly if you’re not demanding, but it sucks that Android no longer supports it. Meanwhile Apple comes across as being built for longevity. Updates continue for years and the devices themselves are generally well built.

- My iPhone 8+ currently has iOS 15 on it and still feels like new.
- My iPad Pro 10.5 currently runs iPad OS 15 and still feels like new.
- my mid 2011 iMac 21.5 is stuck at High Sierra, but with the upgrades I’ve added it actually runs far better than when it was new. This has created something of a dilemma for me because even though I would like to get a new M1 iMac I can’t see myself ditching a perfectly good computer that serves me flawlessly.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Any, literally any iPhone is miles and miles better than anything Android, even most expensive and latest models. It is just nature of that convoluted, laggy, overcomplicated pile of shtt that is called Android.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Every 1-2 years. Always get the latest non pro model in the cheapest configuration

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.