Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I think what Coded-Dude means is that the 360 would cost more if you were to match the PS3 feature for feature. The 360 would need a $200 HD-DVD drive and a $100 wireless adapter.

True, but as a gaming machine (which is the grounds on which I'm basing the comparison) it lacks only the Wi-Fi adapter. Blu-ray/HD-DVD is an entirely different discussion.

And honestly, if I had been buying purely for software support, and the consoles were the same price, the 360 would STILL be the better buy.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
True, but as a gaming machine (which is the grounds on which I'm basing the comparison) it lacks only the Wi-Fi adapter. Blu-ray/HD-DVD is an entirely different discussion.

And honestly, if I had been buying purely for software support, and the consoles were the same price, the 360 would STILL be the better buy.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. That's why I bought my 360 (and sold my Wii). I didn't buy it for a multimedia machine, I bought it for games, first and foremost.

To the OP: Enjoy your PS3. I'm sure there will be plenty of games coming out for it in the future and as for a cheap HD movie player, it can't be beat.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think what Coded-Dude means is that the 360 would cost more if you were to match the PS3 feature for feature. The 360 would need a $200 HD-DVD drive and a $100 wireless adapter.

I see what you mean, but a HD-DVD drive isn't necessary. It's entirely optional, just as the WiFi adapter is.

Anyroad. Whilst I was pricing everything up trying to spend the money burning a hole in my pocket, it would have cost me £430 for a PS3 and a game (and some crappy film, Taledia Nights?). It would have cost me £270 for a 360 with an extra controller, GoW and GRAW2. But I would have needed a VGA cable for the 360 or HDMI for the PS3, again, optional to most people.

We can all play the ceiling cost game all day. I'd have to buy a HDMI cable if I bought a PS3, just as some people might have to buy the HD-DVD drive or some might buy the PS3 remote control or the 360's racing wheel.
To go home, sit down and simply play a game the price difference between the 360 and PS3 is titanic. Which deepens the more I think about the features I won't be using.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Both consoles are also in different life cycles.
360 is seeing tons of BUNDLES and PS3 has virtually none.

once the AAA titles come out and we see production costs go down, price difference is go to be more rowboat-ish(and less titanic)

Yes, you pay more now, but that's the price of being an early adapter.
What did early 360 adapters get? ****** Hardware and just as few quality games as PS3 is seeing right now.
(a least I don't have to worry about this ring of death)

ratchet-clank-future-tools-of-destruction-20070510114055561.jpg

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
I see what you mean, but a HD-DVD drive isn't necessary. It's entirely optional, just as the WiFi adapter is.

Anyroad. Whilst I was pricing everything up trying to spend the money burning a hole in my pocket, it would have cost me £430 for a PS3 and a game (and some crappy film, Taledia Nights?). It would have cost me £270 for a 360 with an extra controller, GoW and GRAW2. But I would have needed a VGA cable for the 360 or HDMI for the PS3, again, optional to most people.

We can all play the ceiling cost game all day. I'd have to buy a HDMI cable if I bought a PS3, just as some people might have to buy the HD-DVD drive or some might buy the PS3 remote control or the 360's racing wheel.
To go home, sit down and simply play a game the price difference between the 360 and PS3 is titanic. Which deepens the more I think about the features I won't be using.

Right. It comes down to what YOU would need personally. Microsoft and Sony's differ when it comes to selling hardware. Sony bundles all of the hardware together (Blu-Ray, wireless, larger HD), while Microsoft lets you pick and choose while keeping the initial cost of the system down (although this gap has closed a bit after the release of the Elite). Both ways work.

Although, I wish Microsoft would charge less for its peripherals. $100 for a wireless adapter is flat out robbery.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yea, once the PS3 has had a price drop so would the 360. And the Wii. Just as people keep saying "the PS3 will be number 1 when good games come out", as if other systems won't get price cuts in all departments as they pump out good games too.

Although, I wish Microsoft would charge less for its peripherals. $100 for a wireless adapter is flat out robbery.

According to the Xbox fanboys here, it isn't robbery and the HDD is well priced too.
Oh and the Elite is the biggest waste of a system update since the Mega Drive 2.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Okay, and Sony lets you pick/choose which software features you want to use/pay for, whilst Microsoft doesn't.
Being as Sony makes better hardware then MS makes software, I am happy with my choice.

For anybody that thinks hardware purchases are have a greater potential for long term costs than software....well, I would question your perspective.
(you only buy the hardware once, whilst software continues to nickel and dime you)

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
to the OP: Just ignore the last 30 posts :p

Congrats on getting a PS3, it's a groovy console and has few great games despite what others may say. As long as YOU have fun with it, who cares about what people bicker about right? :D

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
thats what I've been trying to say, this is one excited user...and for good reason.
why would anyone want to ruin that is beyond me(actually its not, it makes perfect sense - trolls)
*i though these boards were modded better than previously*

My recommendations: Super Rub A Dub and Calling All Cars (from the PS-Store)
plenty of demos/vids as well.

Also, there are still plenty of excellent PS2 titles that you can enjoy
(old ones you never got to play or new ones that are still coming out)

MY PSN name is Coded-Dude, feel free to add me. i may be on this weekend playing Motorstom and/or Calling All Cars.

peace out buudy and enjoy that incredible piece of hardware

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
wow, I am on a T1 line and that image is loading horrifically, way to continue to ruin the thread jimmi.

I'm on cable and it loaded instantly. You should have a chat with your ISP.

Okay, and Sony lets you pick/choose which software features you want to use/pay for, whilst Microsoft doesn't.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell this means.

peace out buudy and enjoy that incredible piece of hardware

Agreed. And good luck finding the software before 08.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
so.......its okay for you to sub-classify PS3 parts(relevant or not) into the expense(longterm or short), but not the 360?
(go figure)

get me a PS3 with out blue-ray and I'd then we'll compare it

He was saying for gaming, which HD-DVD has no part in for the Xbox 360, the 360 is cheaper.

For me I wouldn't buy an HD format, so the lack of it is good, and saves me money. It doesn't make sense FOR ME, with only gaming on my mind, to view the Blue-Ray as a good thing, or uses the HD-DVD player in my price comparisions.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Oh and the Elite is the biggest waste of a system update since the Mega Drive 2.

Why because it doesn't suit you? Its a pretty good deal IMO...100Gbs, plus HDMI(big for some)r an extra 80bucks. Thats sounds like a good deal IMO, for someone who plans to use the Xbox 360 as their media center for the living room.

Me I don't need all that, or have an HDMI TV. That means the Pro Xbox 360 would be fine for me...that doesn't make the Elite a bad deal for ever one, just certain people.

Also what is up with all these over sized picture? There not need,ed and if you really want us to see them, post a link!

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar

Well that's great for you. Features you won't use. But it's a huge market with plenty of choices and there are plenty of buyers to whom your standards for what makes a system worth buying don't mean a damned thing.

But for some reason you feel the need to flesh out every possible aspect of every combination of needs/wants/technology where the PS3 looks like the poor choice, then transpose those situations onto the entire market.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well that's great for you. Features you won't use.

Well done! Congratulations on seeing the parts I said "I", in the post you quoted I referred only to myself I'll have you know. I said "some people" might need this, that or the other. Which is a totally fair assessment. Some people might.

So it seems you succeeded in what, fleshing out my original statement in which case I referred to myself. I don't need somebody repeating it thanks. ;)

and Re the Elite being poo- You fellas do know HDMI is going to wind up being in the Premium 360? I can't remember if the HDD is, but effectively you are paying extra to have a black finish. That is why it's a bad deal. An even more embarrassing deal if the 120gb is standard too. Unless you really wanted a Black 360, which is a very beautiful machine. Then the extra cost might be worth it to you.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Wow! Sorry to cause such hostility. I guess I should have known it was coming though. :rolleyes:

Each system is unique and each person has their own requirements. For me, I decided on the PS3 because I'll use the DVD/Blue-ray, the games are regionless (American in Japan, can buy both American and Japanese games), and I play mostly sports games. Most other games don't excite me. Some look interesting and I'll buy it but get bored with it within a week. So as for software being available... Football? Check. Baseball? Check. Basketball? Check? Racing? Check. Well, all the games I want to play are available, so any arguement that so games are available does not apply to me.

Whatever your preferences are, there will always be someone that thinks you're wrong.

And Coded-Dude: Thanks for the invite but I really won't do much multiplayer and probably won't even hook it up to the internet. But I'll keep you in mind if I ever do. Thanks though.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
so.......its okay for you to sub-classify PS3 parts(relevant or not) into the expense(longterm or short), but not the 360?
(go figure)

You are still messed up in your comparisons of "life-cycle costs", and gloss is completely right - and a PS3 owner! :p

There is no extra accessories needed, so that is simply a moot point. Don't insult someone's "math" abilities when all you're data is theoretical.

I'm not going to buy a wi-fi adaptor for my 360, most people will probably never bother with the HD-DVD "add-on" either. So such comparisons are purely theoretical, hardly solid to base a theoretical comparison.

He even asked for you to show the long term analysis you spoke of, and you wouldn't. Why is that? You already know it's not derived, I'm guessing.

To the OP: Enjoy the system and congrats. Let us know which games you'll be playing that are already out, as you say. :)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Thats what they said about PS2 as well.......its future is certain, but the titles are a bit slow to come out right now.

The PS3's situation is nothing like the PS2.

- The PS3 costs twice as much as the PS2 did at launch
- The PS2 launched a year ahead of the Gamecube and Xbox. The PS3 launched a year AFTER the xbox 360 and 2 days before the Wii.
- Sony had exclusive contracts with third party developers who helped build the original Playstation's success. Said developers have gone multi-platform.

The future is very much uncertain for the PS3. Sales in Japan are terrible from a relative standpoint; incredibly, the PS3 is only selling about twice what the GameCube was selling last year each week. It's still selling well enough to be a viable platform (it's not going to disappear like the Dreamcast), but the future is very rocky, *especially* in the U.S. and *especially* when you consider how much money is being lost on the system.

At least in Japan there is a lot better software support.

I always believe one should get the system with the most games they'd enjoy. I'm sure the OP will enjoy his.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
According to the Xbox fanboys here, it isn't robbery and the HDD is well priced too.

Reminds me of a good quote I saw online.

Another thing that the PS3's abysmal launch and pre-launch have done is obscure Microsoft's own mistakes. The 360 costs $400, its games cost $60, and its peripheral prices are ridiculous. $70 for a ****ing controller with the play and charge kit is insane, no matter if it's wireless and how good it is, to say nothing of a $100 wireless network dongle. They make you pay monthly to play online, the game selection is still pretty weak after a year, the failure rate is astronomical and coupled with a 90 day warranty and $140 repair cost. The hard drive is 20 GB in an era where 300-400 GB drives can be had for under one hundred dollars at retail. There's no HDMI and no 1080P support, and backwards compatibility is still lacking.

All of this looks positively spectacular compared to Sony's experiment in finding the limits of human stupidity, but it's still pretty dismal compared to previous successful consoles. Is it really all that surprising that the PS2 is still selling so well?

Some of these things have since been fixed (1080p support and the warranty was extended to a year), but it's still applicable and interesting.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
To the OP, have fun with your PS3. I got one a couple weeks ago and have been having a blast with it. I don't really care about this whole 360 vs. PS3 flame war going on in the thread. Both consoles seem like they're fun. I bought a PS3 because I wanted Blu-Ray and WiFi and the $130-$200 in price is really not that big of a deal to me. Plus I have a lot of PS2 games and a broken PS2 so the backward compatibility is a plus.

Enjoy it!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
On the bright side of things I just listened to Dark Side of the Moon on my PS3 and the visualizer added an entirely new dimension of hallucination to the album.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Hey it's all about the games. Enjoy your favs on the system.

I've always preferred "American" games, hence I like the XBox (an "American" system). Halo, Mech Assault, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.

The only Japanese games I really like are the Nintendo ones, hence I got a Wii and love it...

The Sony Japanese games have always been blah, blah for me...

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Wow, another fanboy flame war.

You guys really need something else to argue and bicker like children about.

Its a f***ing game console for cryin' out loud.

No wonder why they locked the old games forums up.

I mean, the guy was just sharing his excitement for buying himself a PlayStation3, and then poof, here comes the OMG PS3 VS Wii/360 fanboy war to destroy another thread.

Dont get me wrong, I like all of you guys here, but geez.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.