Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
The toothpick cleaning seemed to work. I did this as gently as possible WITH THE PHONE BEING SHUTDOWN completely.
Usea plastic pick. Shutting down is unnecessary and doesn’t do anything.

However, next time If I plan on cleaning the lint from the connection port with a toothpick again, how do I exactly position and move the toothpick so that I avoid scraping the contacts or to avoid damage to the connection port?
I think you’re overthinking this. Just go a bit all over the place. The contacts are along one side; use a flashlight to see which, but they are in my experience very robust.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2014
This is a known issue with the iPhone 14 Pro, or that is especially severe with the iPhone 14 Pro.

Lightning cables disconnect and reconnect with the slightest movement. Seems to be a hardware issue with the port. Not lint. Not dust. Not cable issue. Not user error.

Because of this I gave up on the lightning port altogether for charging and accessories and moved to Qi charging and bluetooth headphones full time instead.

I may do this myself.

But what is QI Charging? Is the MagSafe considered QI Charging?

I’m only afraid that if I switch to using wireless charging like QI or MagSafe then the battery health may go down drastically.

So my question is, is MagSafe considered a QI charger?

If not, please provide some reliable brands that are MFI certified.

I’m thinking about switching to wireless myself.

Reactions: antiprotest

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2022
I've had that problem with the Nomad kevlar cable, not with the original apple cables. Maybe your cable is the problem.

Miha_v

macrumors regular
May 18, 2018
I recently had been charging my iPhone 14 Pro and noticed that when I move the phone around while the phone is charging the charging stops and then charges again. Then when I move it around again, no charging takes place.

Yesterday, I took a toothpick and very gently scraped off some lint from the charging connection port and quite a bit came out. Hopefully I’ll see an improvement.

My question is, do you have the same issue similar to mine?
I had this issue in the past (had to clean the ports quite often sometimes on iPhone 5 and iPhone 7), but on 11 pro I can't remember when was the last time I had to do this. Maybe cause I use a protective case now (and it's a bit harder for the lint to enter the port) or maybe just cause I wear different trousers now :)

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2014
What is QI wireless charging?
And is it the same as MagSafe?

Im thinking about switching to wireless charging.

Are MagSafe any good? Never had seen people using them since they came out.
Or maybe people are charging their phones at home most of the time.

Need some advice about MagSafe chargers or even a NON-MAGNETIC wireless charger with brands that are certified for Apple and are reliable.

I would appreciate the recommendations.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Check the lightening port on the iPhone, it might be backed up with lint from your clothing. My iPhone X was doing the same thing, used a toothpick to clean it out and now it charges without issue.

IMG_2726.jpeg

Reactions: blinker

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
IMG_0786.jpeg

use a clear plug or translucent color. As you can see the Lint or garbage that was around it. And I don’t even stick my phone in my pocket. These things are just dust collectors regardless of where you put these things. I highly recommend using this plug. Also you can even buy other types that you can flip up One and is attached to the phone with a sticker while the silicone part sticks into the phone. all you do is flip up the silicone plug up while the other part is attached to the phone with a sticker. so if you want a charger cord in there you can use it without losing the plug. All the best to you.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I recently had been charging my iPhone 14 Pro and noticed that when I move the phone around while the phone is charging the charging stops and then charges again. Then when I move it around again, no charging takes place.

Yesterday, I took a toothpick and very gently scraped off some lint from the charging connection port and quite a bit came out. Hopefully I’ll see an improvement.

My question is, do you have the same issue similar to mine?
No I haven’t had this issue with my pro max. Besides I don’t use lightning connector I use the magsafe charger; which I highly recommend buying. As long as she was using Apple genuine charger and magsafe. I’ve had mine for almost a year now and I have had zero charging problems I only use Mac safe and I use a MagSafe battery as well, no longer use lightning cables. I have never put one in this phone it never will. So my recommendation is to use a Mac safe charger you’ll be very happy.

Reactions: canuckRus

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Can someone please post a picture on the correct way to position the phone when cleaning the connection port with a toothpick?

I did this with holding the phone with the display screen facing towards me.
I see that Amazon carries the iPhone lint plugs if required.

Reactions: JapanApple

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2014
No I haven’t had this issue with my pro max. Besides I don’t use lightning connector I use the magsafe charger; which I highly recommend buying. As long as she was using Apple genuine charger and magsafe. I’ve had mine for almost a year now and I have had zero charging problems I only use Mac safe and I use a MagSafe battery as well, no longer use lightning cables. I have never put one in this phone it never will. So my recommendation is to use a Mac safe charger you’ll be very happy.
Ok, I will be getting a MagSafe charger for wireless charging.
Two questions:

1. Can I still use my 20-W charging adapter with the MagSafe?

2. Suppose I travel, and I need to charge the phone at an airport, how convenient a MagSafe charger would be?

Other than this, I mostly charge my phone at home.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
The only time this has happened to any of my iPhones was the 6S.
At first I thought it was a faulty port, but gave it a brush with a little brush I had with my camera cleaning equipment and magically it has been fine ever since.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Two questions:

2. Suppose I travel, and I need to charge the phone at an airport, how convenient a MagSafe charger would be?

"1. Can I still use my 20-W charging adapter with the Maga safe?"
I have my 20-watt Apple genuine charger and Apple genuine magsafe charger when I am outside. yes, you can.

I am happy and it's easy to use this when traveling. I also have a Magsafe battery pack genuine app product. In time I need a charge and I not near an outlet receptacle.

I have two mag safe chargers, a 20-watt and a 35-watt power adapter for my desk and when I travel. you be happy

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Be advised that wireless charging (MagSafe or Qi) is not as fast or efficient as wired charging and may decrease the lifespan of your battery.

Personally I use different charging methods depending on the situation.

• Haha
Reactions: gtjacket123

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Be advised that wireless charging (MagSafe or Qi) is not as fast or efficient as wired charging and may decrease the lifespan of your battery.

Personally I use different charging methods depending on the situation.
good grief...... magsafe charging does little damage to battery life. In fact, it's safe that QI charging

Reactions: gtjacket123

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
good grief...... magsafe charging does little damage to battery life. In fact, it's safe that QI charging
Yep. I have had my iPhone 13 since January 2023 and have been MagSafe charging every single night while I am asleep and my battery health is still 100%. It probably is less efficient than a 5w wired charger but the difference is so imperceptible that it doesn’t matter. MagSafe doesn’t really affect battery health, contrary to popular opinion on this forum.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2014
See here and just go down towards the end of this article.

Warp Up!​

Ultimately, the answer to the question of whether MagSafe is bad for your battery is no. Batteries, including those in smartphones, begin degrading as soon as they're charged, regardless of how they're charged or what type of charging method you are using.

Wireless charging through MagSafe will not degrade your battery any more than other charging methods; therefore, the myth that using the MagSafe changing method can damage a battery or decrease its lifespan is untrue.

Last edited:

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
See here and just scr down towards the end of this article.

Warp Up!​

Ultimately, the answer to the question of whether MagSafe is bad for your battery is no. Batteries, including those in smartphones, begin degrading as soon as they're charged, regardless of how they're charged or what type of charging method you are using.
as long as you use Apple genuine MagSafe charging charger accessories. You are ok. Stay away from nonapple genuine accessories

Reactions: canuckRus

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
See here and just scr down towards the end of this article.

Warp Up!​

I don't believe that article is completely accurate. Both wireless charging and fast charging are slightly harder on the battery due to the heat they cause. BUT I also think it's small enough that it doesn't really matter. Ironically I'm actually writing from a phone that was wirelessly charged.

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I may do this myself.

But what is QI Charging? Is the MagSafe considered QI Charging?

I’m only afraid that if I switch to using wireless charging like QI or MagSafe then the battery health may go down drastically.

So my question is, is MagSafe considered a QI charger?

If not, please provide some reliable brands that are MFI certified.

I’m thinking about switching to wireless myself.
I just meant wireless charging in general. I use MagSafe. I don't use the highest powered MagSafe so that might reduce damage to battery. An Anker 7.5W is not that slow actually. In fact, this port fiasco helped me discover the convenience of MagSafe, including MagSafe battery pack. Didn't use it before.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
1st
u can clean it with a toothpick in what ever way/direction u want. Don’t overcomplicate.

2nd
There are already a million posts in this forum regarding charging theories to maximize battery life. This has apparently become a new religion

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Two questions:

Having to carry a 2"disk on a 3M cord plus plug-in adaptor and prop up on a seat or table?

Last edited:

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
What is QI wireless charging?
And is it the same as MagSafe?

Im thinking about switching to wireless charging.

Are MagSafe any good? Never had seen people using them since they came out.
Or maybe people are charging their phones at home most of the time.

Need some advice about MagSafe chargers or even a NON-MAGNETIC wireless charger with brands that are certified for Apple and are reliable.

I would appreciate the recommendations.
Have moved onto Apple MagSafe charger. Fantastic! NO success with others tried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.