Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleebrown93

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2015
36887cbbe3b7cd71403b5e3c5852dc96.jpg

Just ordered these last night, they will be here today. All the TaoTronics headphones got excellent reviews. Anyone tried TaoTronics before?

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
What is the return period for Air Pods? Considering grabbing a pair to test them out.

Anyone hear of a release date for the Beat X. I know it's coming "The Fall" with "More Colors" than black and white. Have anyone heard of any specific dates?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I got a set of the Solo 3 wireless today and I think they are awesome.

Great Bluetooth range, easy pairing, very good sound quality (no bloated boomy bass), and supposedly great battery life which obviously I would need to monitor to see if that is indeed the case. Sound isolation is pretty good, have them at 50% volume and they drown out a good deal of background noise. They fit a bit snug but I have been able to listen with them for hours and I am not feeling uncomfortable wearing them to tell the truth.

Strictly an impulse buy, I was at an Apple Store and full well knowing of the return policy I said what the heck. The biggest concerns with the air pods would be how they fit and me losing one or both.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I like the AirPods, but I prefer in ear. I have been using pairs of Sennheiser M30s for years as the sound isolation is great (both ways).
Beats X seems to be a nice compromise between in-ear and apple's W1 magic.

Reactions: boston04and07

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Just a word of warning. Sound quality is a very subjective thing. Personally I've felt a lot of headphones with awesome reviews didn't stand up to my expectations.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
36887cbbe3b7cd71403b5e3c5852dc96.jpg

Just ordered these last night, they will be here today. All the TaoTronics headphones got excellent reviews. Anyone tried TaoTronics before?

Damn I'm tempted as well! I'm also waiting for beats x but these look nice and the price is really really tempting. Waiting for your review!

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I've been wanting some "truly wireless" earbuds for working out. I've been eyeing these...

jabra-elite-sport-heart-rate-headphones..-599x385.jpg

Jabra Elite Sport

I do like the Apple AirPods for work / conference call purposes. But not sure I like them for the gym...I'm wondering if I'm lying back on a bench, if they would feel like they are slipping out of my ears...

I have a pair of Gear IconX that work great with my iPhone 7 as well as with my S7 Active. I use them at the gym when I bench, squat, deadlift, really any exercise and they stay put. I even forget they're on there.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
Was checking to see when Airpods will be available but found out that there other options for going truly wireless.
I decided to go with the Jabra Elite sport. Currently using Jaybirds X. Will be using it mainly for trail running, I like that there's an option to hear surroundings better with a touch of a button (audio pass through). Now i can actually wear both earbuds and not be overly concerned with being run over by a mountainbiker coming out of nowhere. :) Pre ordered yesterday and supposed to be delivered early next week.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Was checking to see when Airpods will be available but found out that there other options for going truly wireless.
I decided to go with the Jabra Elite sport. Currently using Jaybirds X. Will be using it mainly for trail running, I like that there's an option to hear surroundings better with a touch of a button (audio pass through). Now i can actually wear both earbuds and not be overly concerned with being run over by a mountainbiker coming out of nowhere. :) Pre ordered yesterday and supposed to be delivered early next week.

My Jabra elite sport arrived today. I've tried earin, Bragi, verve ones, erato and gear icon.

My initial impressions are that Bluetooth connection is very good and fit is solid. Sound however is just okay. Fit is stable but they really hurt in the ear after awhile. They are large and it seems they designed them to fit tightly probably to keep the hr monitor going.

Sound is on par with gear icon and verve ones which means acceptable but not great. There's plenty of bass but they are muddy. Sound is not as good as Erato but erato won't survive a sweat and aren't very stable.

Build quality is nice. A better execution than Bragi probably because they've had a year to rip them off and fix the bugs.

I'd be interested in hearing how they compare to the sol republics for sound. I've read that the Sol republics don't stay in during exercise which is a must for me. Overall very impressive tech but too bad the sound isn't a little better.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
My Jabra elite sport arrived today. I've tried earin, Bragi, verve ones, erato and gear icon.

My initial impressions are that Bluetooth connection is very good and fit is solid. Sound however is just okay. Fit is stable but they really hurt in the ear after awhile. They are large and it seems they designed them to fit tightly probably to keep the hr monitor going.

Sound is on par with gear icon and verve ones which means acceptable but not great. There's plenty of bass but they are muddy. Sound is not as good as Erato but erato won't survive a sweat and aren't very stable.

Build quality is nice. A better execution than Bragi probably because they've had a year to rip them off and fix the bugs.

I'd be interested in hearing how they compare to the sol republics for sound. I've read that the Sol republics don't stay in during exercise which is a must for me. Overall very impressive tech but too bad the sound isn't a little better.

Wow is that a letdown. They do look kinda huge so I'm not surprised about that issue as you stated. Of all the ones you've tested, which one would you say has the best sound? I've been using the Jaybird X's for 2 years now and I can't take a step back with respect to sound.

I honestly feel like there aren't any great truly wireless earbuds on the market right now. I want something that sounds great, will last at least 3 hours on a single charge, sweat/water resistant, stays in my ears while I workout, with controls on the earbuds.
[doublepost=1479009417][/doublepost]
Have you received them? Would love to hear how you think they compare to the X's with respect to sound quality.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Wow is that a letdown. They do look kinda huge so I'm not surprised about that issue as you stated. Of all the ones you've tested, which one would you say has the best sound? I've been using the Jaybird X's for 2 years now and I can't take a step back with respect to sound.

I honestly feel like there aren't any great truly wireless earbuds on the market right now. I want something that sounds great, will last at least 3 hours on a single charge, sweat/water resistant, stays in my ears while I workout, with controls on the earbuds.
[doublepost=1479009417][/doublepost]
Have you received them? Would love to hear how you think they compare to the X's with respect to sound quality.

The erato sound the best. But I'm not sure they are sweat proof. Jabra are definitely a step back from the x2 in terms of sound quality. It's not even close IMHO.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The erato sound the best. But I'm not sure they are sweat proof. Jabra are definitely a step back from the x2 in terms of sound quality. It's not even close IMHO.
Do you mean the Apollo 7's? They are waterproof. Also what do you mean they aren't stable?

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Do you mean the Apollo 7's? They are waterproof. Also what do you mean they aren't stable?
Yes. I didn't know they were waterproof. By stable i mean fit. They did not fit well in my ears. The tip is wider than most. I didn't notice any connection issues. Definitely the best sound I have heard.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Yes. I didn't know they were waterproof. By stable i mean fit. They did not fit well in my ears. The tip is wider than most. I didn't notice any connection issues. Definitely the best sound I have heard.
Reading reviews it seems like the Elato's are the best choice right now. However.....they are super expensive and the company has less expensive models coming out at the end of the year.

I see no clear cut winner in the $150 - $200 range. My gut says to hold tight and purchase truly wireless in early 2017 when we should see better options at better prices.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I see no clear cut winner in the $150 - $200 range. My gut says to hold tight and purchase truly wireless in early 2017 when we should see better options at better prices.

Probably an accurate assessment. You are much more disciplined than me however. All the current options have compromises for sure. 2017 is probably the year when the technology catches up with current wired BT offerings. The air pods will most likely be the most polished choice when they arrive but that design is wretched.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I am going to try the Airpods, easily returnable at Apple. But I have reservations, I don't think they will sound as good as the X2s I have for $79. Apple's earpods don't really fit well, they don't fall out per se but any movement like gym activity and they easily will. They don't offer any noise cancellation, what good is listening to music and outside noise drowning it out. Besides, early comparison feedback/reviews suggest the Airpods will not sound any better than the earpods. But if you are happy with the latter for sound then I guess that isn't an issue.

I returned the Gear Icon X, good sound but the battery life is horrible. I could try the Skylabs, Erato, Bragi, Sol etc. etc but in one way or another I don't think any would be keepers.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Reading reviews it seems like the Elato's are the best choice right now. However.....they are super expensive and the company has less expensive models coming out at the end of the year.

I have a feeling we are going to see an explosion of Bluetooth headsets in 2017. My criteria is a minimum of 5-6 hours battery life so that eliminates many of the current offerings. The airpods and BeatsX are definite buys for me but I'm looking forward to the new innovations coming next year.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I returned the Gear Icon X, good sound but the battery life is horrible. I could try the Skylabs, Erato, Bragi, Sol etc. etc but in one way or another I don't think any would be keepers.

A lot of fit/sound quality issues are subjective but I do think Samsung's are the best offering right now provided you can live with 90 minutes of battery. That makes them fine for exercise (I'm not marathoner) but rules them out as daily drivers. It's the best combination of price, sound and comfort. If the Erato's were 199 instead of 299 they'd be a no brainer but for 299 you can get some high quality BT headsets. I agree with others that at this time next year there are going to be tons of great options.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm no longer getting them, however if you want the Jabra Elite Sport's you can get them for 20% off (bring it down to $200) if you use the coupon code 'NJ20' on their website. You'll save good money compared to buying them on Best Buy.
[doublepost=1479073651][/doublepost]
I am going to try the Airpods, easily returnable at Apple. But I have reservations, I don't think they will sound as good as the X2s I have for $79. Apple's earpods don't really fit well, they don't fall out per se but any movement like gym activity and they easily will. They don't offer any noise cancellation, what good is listening to music and outside noise drowning it out. Besides, early comparison feedback/reviews suggest the Airpods will not sound any better than the earpods. But if you are happy with the latter for sound then I guess that isn't an issue.

Yeah, that's what bothers me about the AirPods, among other things. I don't think they can compete with the X2's sound-wise despite being twice as much at retail. In fairness, they are truly wireless so maybe we just aren't at a point where a truly wireless option can compete with something like the X2.

The lack of noise isolation also worries me on the AirPods with respect to music playback. But what Apple has going for them (assuming these are actually released before the holidays this year) is that the competition in this field is not strong right now. Most of the truly wireless offerings come from startup companies. And personally I think the IconX battery life is simply too low for most consumers. Once the main players start offering truly wireless solutions with inline controls and noise isolation (Jaybird, Bose, etc) the AirPods will look even worse. But right now they aren't a bad option (if/when available for purchase).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.