Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
My Jabra elite sport arrived today. I've tried earin, Bragi, verve ones, erato and gear icon.

My initial impressions are that Bluetooth connection is very good and fit is solid. Sound however is just okay. Fit is stable but they really hurt in the ear after awhile. They are large and it seems they designed them to fit tightly probably to keep the hr monitor going.

Sound is on par with gear icon and verve ones which means acceptable but not great. There's plenty of bass but they are muddy. Sound is not as good as Erato but erato won't survive a sweat and aren't very stable.

Build quality is nice. A better execution than Bragi probably because they've had a year to rip them off and fix the bugs.

I'd be interested in hearing how they compare to the sol republics for sound. I've read that the Sol republics don't stay in during exercise which is a must for me. Overall very impressive tech but too bad the sound isn't a little better.

I'm going to update my assessment of the Elite sport after using them more today and on a run. In short, my opinion has improved. During my 5 mile run outside, the fit was rock solid and I experience zero dropouts or breakups. Fit is something I have an issue with with earbuds. Also, my ears did not hurt today like they did yesterday so maybe I just needed to get used to them. I also think the sound quality is better than my initial impressions. I balanced out the muddiness a bit using my iPhone equalizer and during the run I thought the sound was pretty good. Probably a bit better than Samsung but its close. Also, the heart rate monitor works great and connected without issue. Even if they are on par with the samsung, with 3 hours battery life versus 90 minutes (for streaming), that's a worthwhile improvement for $50.

Reactions: nikeagogo

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
Got to test out my Jabra Elite Sport today on a hike (short parts trail run).
Better sound quality compared to the Dash. Easier to control overall than the Dash too (tapping buttons vs optical touch). It took me a while to figure out the right fit but once I did it felt quite comfortable. I heard less of the 'thud' sound in my ears while running. Like the Dash, the Elite Sport felt secure in my head the whole time both while hiking and a little trail running (4 miles 600 feet of gain). Connectivity was better than the Dash. The Activity app worked well (I like the voice coaching), apparently tracked my V02max too even without choosing the Running app. It showed a different heart rate zone though than my Fenix3HR.

The audio transparency didn't work as well as I hoped it would so I might end up just using one earbud most of the time. The thing is though the music skip and volume controls on the Elite Sport are on the left bud while the pause/play button is on the right bud. I use a Garmin that can control the music and my iPhone is easily accessible in my running vest so I can still control the volume if I choose to just use the right earbud. On the Dash you can control the music (volume skip tracks rewind forward) with just the right earbud.

Will see how it holds up on a longer trail run next weekend.

Have you received them? Would love to hear how you think they compare to the X's with respect to sound quality.

Got them yesterday and tested it out today. Sound quality was better the the Dash, I would say almost as good as the X's. I actually almost gave up on the Elite Sport because it sounded so tinny at first and kept popping out my ear. Turns out I didn't need those ear wing things and just needed the small foam tips. Proper fit made a huge difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikeagogo

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Got them yesterday and tested it out today. Sound quality was better the the Dash, I would say almost as good as the X's. I actually almost gave up on the Elite Sport because it sounded so tinny at first and kept popping out my ear. Turns out I didn't need those ear wing things and just needed the small foam tips. Proper fit made a huge difference.
Wow. Almost as good as the X's? That's high praise.

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
My earpods fall out with any drastic movement and the cable keeps them from freefall, I doubt these Airpods would last me the month without a cord.

Unless my external ear anatomy is drastically different, how would they stay in with day to day use?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
My earpods fall out with any drastic movement and the cable keeps them from freefall, I doubt these Airpods would last me the month without a cord.

Unless my external ear anatomy is drastically different, how would they stay in with day to day use?
The reason the EarPods fall out so easy is because there's weight on the cord that pull them out of your ear

But you have a physics degree so you already know that

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Has anyone heard of the Crazybaby airs? All of the initial reviews look very good. I am just nervous about the crowdfunding part. I have never done crowdfunding - does anyone know if you can get your money back if they suck?

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
Has anyone heard of the Crazybaby airs? All of the initial reviews look very good. I am just nervous about the crowdfunding part. I have never done crowdfunding - does anyone know if you can get your money back if they suck?

Generally no, you cannot get your money back if the product sucks.

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
The reason the EarPods fall out so easy is because there's weight on the cord that pull them out of your ear

But you have a physics degree so you already know that
Without a tug on the cord the earpods fall out but you have a PhD in physics "so you already know that"

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Generally no, you cannot get your money back if the product sucks.

I did contact Crazybaby and they said that they will refund the money up to a month after I receive the product if it does not work for me...

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I did contact Crazybaby and they said that they will refund the money up to a month after I receive the product if it does not work for me...

That is good to know. Usually in crowdfunding that is not an option. You also don't have any guarantee on when you get your product. I've been part of well run ones and ones that made me pull my hair out.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
That is good to know. Usually in crowdfunding that is not an option. You also don't have any guarantee on when you get your product. I've been part of well run ones and ones that made me pull my hair out.

And I would be looking for a GUARANTEE it is truly returnable.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have an email from their customer support saying that I can return them up to a month after receiving the earphones
Wouldnt that be enough?

You did not say you had an email from them, only that you contacted them and they said you had a month. Word of mouth on the phone I would have taken with a grain a salt.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
You did not say you had an email from them, only that you contacted them and they said you had a month. Word of mouth on the phone I would have taken with a grain a salt.
My bad! The email also said that the earbuds will ship in January... I am not holding my breathe for that one to happen

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Never, how ****ing hard is it to release wireless urBeats, Jesus ****ing christ...
Me, like a dumbass will wait impatiently for these, but doesn't mean I'm not pissed off

I guess they thought they'd wait until the AirPods were out. Which is stupid because the people willing to buy AirPods will still buy AirPods even if they already have the BeatsX.

I bought some of the Powerbeats3, but I really am not fond of them. I may just give up and buy some Bose.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I've been using the Jabra Elite Sport headphones for a week now and they're flawless. Best ones I've used and I've tried owned them all except the Bragi's because I heard they were horrid. I also got Best Buy to price match the Jabra site. I used the Jabra code NJ20 to get 20 % off and printed out the cart receipt. Best Buy knocked the $50 off and then I reinvested the $35 of that in the Geek Squad Protection Plan.

Yesterday at work, I let a guy who swore by the Jaybirds test out my Jabra's. He was floored and he went to Best Buy at lunch and got the Jabra's for $199 after BB price matched. We are the geeks of the office with out wireless earbuds. Good times!!!

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I've been using the Jabra Elite Sport headphones for a week now and they're flawless. Best ones I've used and I've tried owned them all except the Bragi's because I heard they were horrid. I also got Best Buy to price match the Jabra site. I used the Jabra code NJ20 to get 20 % off and printed out the cart receipt. Best Buy knocked the $50 off and then I reinvested the $35 of that in the Geek Squad Protection Plan.

Yesterday at work, I let a guy who swore by the Jaybirds test out my Jabra's. He was floored and he went to Best Buy at lunch and got the Jabra's for $199 after BB price matched. We are the geeks of the office with out wireless earbuds. Good times!!!

Just a word of caution, my Elite Sport have been acting up on me. After a week, I am having connection issues and they no longer recognize my HR without a reset everytime. Not saying you will have these issues and maybe I just got a bad set.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Just a word of caution, my Elite Sport have been acting up on me. After a week, I am having connection issues and they no longer recognize my HR without a reset everytime. Not saying you will have these issues and maybe I just got a bad set.

Did you update the firmware? I did last night, up to 2.19. I don't seem to be having the same issues.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Did you update the firmware? I did last night, up to 2.19. I don't seem to be having the same issues.
I did. But I had trouble with that too. Took 6 hours for the update to complete! Haven't tried them yet but I'm well within my 30 days so hopefully the update helps.
[doublepost=1479495724][/doublepost]
Do you think the Jabra elite are worth the money? what is their range?
At 200 absolutely. 250 is a tougher call.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I did. But I had trouble with that too. Took 6 hours for the update to complete! Haven't tried them yet but I'm well within my 30 days so hopefully the update helps.
[doublepost=1479495724][/doublepost]
At 200 absolutely. 250 is a tougher call.
Weird. I updated mine in about ten mins last night.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

I got the jaybird x2 for $79 though, not sure I would want to go even $199 for the Jabra.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I got the jaybird x2 for $79 though, not sure I would want to go even $199 for the Jabra.
I have had the jaybird x2 and I hate how they fit. They fall out of my ears when I work out unless I wear them over the ear. I also hate the strap... it is always pulling unless I clip it so it is tight around my neck.

I am looking for a wire- free earbud. I ended up pre-ordering the Crazybaby airs.... They are $99 right now and alledgedly will ship in January. You can get a refund if you cancel the order before they ship and they said I can return them up to a month after I receive them if I am not happy with them.

Reactions: AppleRobert

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007

Depends on what you like. I have no problem spending the extra $ for wireless. Once you go there, it's very hard to go backwards. They're amazing. Again, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.