Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
So I installed the lastest beta 17A362a and even did a clean install from the restore menu but it still stuck the beta feedback assistant on the system. Is this correct and High Sierra just comes with the feedback assistant or am I still on "beta" rather than the actual final build?

Is the "10.13 beta" and feedback assistant going to go away comes September 25?

This is a 'GM Candidate' release, so it's still beta software. You could have just installed over the previous beta and got the same result.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I guess a better question is at what time does the words "Beta" go away? Will there be a patch on the day of release to remove the words beta?

All of the other GM candidates that I installed in the past never had the words "beta" and you could update them on the release train.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
As I remember, there wasn’t GM candidate for 10.12 Sierra, but actualy GM build. GM candidate is still beta and not equal to real GM. We need to wait for real GM that will be relesed next week I think.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I was under the impression that a GM candidate is essentially a GM since by definition of GM, if there's nothing wrong, then it becomes release.

I wonder if there's any difference from the GM candidate downloaded from the developer portal vs the one from the public beta access. I wonder if the developer download removes the beta logo?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Still labeled as a beta! This has never been the case for past GM candidate builds...
HighSierra.png

And I stupidly updated my main Mac. No regrets so far. ;)

Reactions: jbachandouris

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
as long as there is an "a" at the end of the build, it's still beta, when the real stuff comes out, you will still have to clean install/upgrade it.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
as long as there is an "a" at the end of the build, it's still beta, when the real stuff comes out, you will still have to clean install/upgrade it.
My MacBook Pro running beta 9 build 17A360a does not show 17A362a an update. So if this is a beta 10, Apple is certainly sending mixed messages here.
The iOS 11, tvOS 11, and macOS High Sierra GM candidates are now available for you to install.
Above is a quote from an email I received earlier today. That's when I decided to update my main Mac, and discovered the installer was still calling it a beta. But it is a later build number than my Mac running beta 9, as I mentioned - otherwise I would not have proceeded with the install.

In any case, I haven't had any issues so far, other than the order of my Finder sidebar items getting messed up, and cDock not being able to change the Dock theme to light or dark independent of the menu bar (fully transparent background still works).

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I cannot confirm that 17A362a is the GM because for some reason it says beta and the feedback assistant is still installed. This does indeed run buttery smooth and seem to be without bugs, but I can't figure out if this truly is the GM released or not for the simple fact that it says beta and the feedback assistant is installed.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
When would it be best to pull out of the beta programme to ensure we don't end up getting new betas after the full release is available? Now or after installing the full release?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
This is a GM Candidate. It is not the official GM. There was an email sent out yesterday saying as much and it is widely noted everywhere, including the News section of this website.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
This is a GM Candidate. It is not the official GM. There was an email sent out yesterday saying as much and it is widely noted everywhere, including the News section of this website.
GM Candidate is the name given to official GM every year. Sometimes they append it with a number if a serious bug is found.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
GM Candidate is the name given to official GM every year. Sometimes they append it with a number if a serious bug is found.

Exactly. In past years the GM candidate was in all intents and purposes the final GM if nothing catastrophic happens. If everything goes smoothly, GM Candidate = Final GM = Release Version.

This meant that there wasn't any feedback apps or beta software strapped into the build. If you clean installed 17A362a, you'd notice that they blocked out the ability to uncheck "send analytic data to apple". This beta GM is not the final release version. Either we'll get a final update to remove those items or they'll come out with a final release build.

I wonder if GM 17A362a downloaded from the developer website (paid developer page) is different? Perhaps if you're downloading from the beta program you'll always be left with the beta aspects?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Why is it so difficult for people to understand that difference? Who cares what what Apple did before with naming, when the /a is gone it's no longer a beta.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Mine has an "F" at the end of the beta number. Not sure what that means.

Still wreaking havoc on my Safari web browsing experience just like all the other betas.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Mine has an "F" at the end of the beta number. Not sure what that means.

Still wreaking havoc on my Safari web browsing experience just like all the other betas.
What build number? What are your Safari problems?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I cannot confirm that 17A362a is the GM because for some reason it says beta and the feedback assistant is still installed. This does indeed run buttery smooth and seem to be without bugs, but I can't figure out if this truly is the GM released or not for the simple fact that it says beta and the feedback assistant is installed.

Feedback Assistant is always installed, even on new Macs.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yep, I can't test Beta OSs anymore, because of my GTX 1080. But, I still have Feedback Assistant in Sierra 10.12.6. I assumed it was a remnant from the Sierra Betas I had used previously.

Lou

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Well you guys know better than me about GM, GM Candidate, and "a" and "beta" in the description. I think it is interesting that the iOS 11 push last week was a GM and didn't say beta. It's all good here with this GM Candidate aka GM Maybe?

When the official push is out the week after next, I wonder how it will get to us? Update, full install, nothing?

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Is the official release presumably the same as the GM and if so would you install it or just stick with the GM?

It's not often that the GM Candidate is different from the release version, but in this case, I'll still be downloading the release version and installing it over the GM Candidate

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
It's not often that the GM Candidate is different from the release version, but in this case, I'll still be downloading the release version and installing it over the GM Candidate
So you will go over it even if you think it is the same?

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I'm still on Sierra

I'm torn on what to do. October is going to be a crazy month for me. I'm tempted to install the GM now, see if I have any weird issues, and then rerun the release version to get up to date.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
I'm still on Sierra

I'm torn on what to do. October is going to be a crazy month for me. I'm tempted to install the GM now, see if I have any weird issues, and then rerun the release version to get up to date.

Don’t install the GM Candidate that’s currently available, because it’s not the final GM and you will end up having to install final GM again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.