Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtmead09

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Anyone received gmail dark mode? I’m impatiently waiting..... anyone have a work around to trigger it to be ava?

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Nothing here yet as well. The settings portion barely has a few things to change.

Interesting. I also noticed that on Google's website, they mention that for the ios app, that you could go into the gmail app settings, choose theme, and then choose dark mode there as well. However, I don't have a "theme" option under settings in the gmail app.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Interesting. I also noticed that on Google's website, they mention that for the ios app, that you could go into the gmail app settings, choose theme, and then choose dark mode there as well. However, I don't have a "theme" option under settings in the gmail app.
There is no Themes section in the settings of the Gmail app, this is all that's there:

unnamed.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As is often the case with these types of releases (and not just with Google by far) this is something that is on some sort of a slow rolling rollout schedule, so it's hard to say when anyone will really see it until they basically just notice it (or Google makes a bigger and sudden push to get it out to most/everyone at some point).

le_cagou

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
for several days now twitter is full of (google sourced) news about dark mode being available and the rollout being complete. in stark contrast to that I haven't seen any evidence so far, that there's even a single ios user being able to activate it yet.

is anyone here already enjoying gmail with dark mode? am I the only one still waiting?

this is getting ridiculous: there's now instructions on how to enable gmail's dark mode on lifehacker.com. but not even the author of it has it yet! "I confess, dark mode hasn’t rolled out to my version of Gmail on iOS yet, so I can’t give you a pretty screenshot of what this looks like."

dark mode for gmail simply doesn't exist (yet). why on earth is google pretending otherwise?!

Last edited:

Subieworx

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2019
for several days now twitter is full of (google sourced) news about dark mode being available and the rollout being complete. in stark contrast to that I haven't seen any evidence so far, that there's even a single ios user being able to activate it yet.

is anyone here already enjoying gmail with dark mode? am I the only one still waiting?

this is getting ridiculous: there's now instructions on how to enable gmail's dark mode on lifehacker.com. but not even the author of it has it yet! "I confess, dark mode hasn’t rolled out to my version of Gmail on iOS yet, so I can’t give you a pretty screenshot of what this looks like."

dark mode for gmail simply doesn't exist (yet). why on earth is google pretending otherwise?!
It exists on android. My s10 and pixel 3 have it. Nothing on my iPhone though.

gtmead09

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
I got the app update earlier today, no dark mode. About 11 pm, opened the app and dark mode was enabled without interaction.

however it feels more like gray mode....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I got the app update earlier today, no dark mode. About 11 pm, opened the app and dark mode was enabled without interaction.

however it feels more like gray mode....
Interesting. Anything in the settings related to it?

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Don't have it on my iPhone nor iPad. Also what about Google maps, Drive and the others. To be honest Google is not the Google it was years ago, very disappointing to see they become so slow implementing or adopting new things.

Reactions: briankeith513

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Stopped using gmail app all together when Dark mode was announced, it takes way to long for them to do something so easy. Went back to default mail application. Email is email these days, inbox was the best.. google ruined it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Stopped using gmail app all together when Dark mode was announced, it takes way to long for them to do something so easy. Went back to default mail application. Email is email these days, inbox was the best.. google ruined it.
Given the issues a variety of people are having with iOS's native Mail app in iOS 13, perhaps email isn't quite email these days.

trmiv

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
My wife has had dark mode for her gmail for weeks. Meanwhile I’m still waiting. Annoys me to no end every time I see her reading email at night and it’s dark. ?

Reactions: briankeith513

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My wife has had dark mode for her gmail for weeks. Meanwhile I’m still waiting. Annoys me to no end every time I see her reading email at night and it’s dark. ?
Had a similar experience with Facebook where one device got their redesign months and months ago but another one didn't get it until just a few weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.