Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Given the issues a variety of people are having with iOS's native Mail app in iOS 13, perhaps email isn't quite email these days.
Yes true, I meant it a little differently but yes I do agree the main app isn't the best either.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Gmail announced adding dark mode to their iOS apps last month. At that time they said they would "roll it out to users" (whatever that means).
In the last couple of days using version 6.0.191023 I've opened the app on my iPad to find, voila, it had dark mode. Which was weird since the app in the App Store was updated a few days ago with no mention of the option.
The same version number on the iPhone still didn't have the option (Gmail Settings/Theme). Weird.
Then I noticed after a while re-opening the app on the iPad (thanks iOS 13 for always quitting apps) I found dark mode gone along with the option in Settings. Then voila, it appeared on the iPhone, then disappeared after a while.
So what does this mean? Do app developers have the option to update or un-update apps whenever they want? Even without going through the app store or notifying users? Sort of scary if they could add or subtract things without a user knowing. Maybe more privacy related things?
Has this happened with anyone else and Gmail?

(Funny how I even care at all about the Gmail app only because the Apple Mail app is now so janky)

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I’ve never seen dark mode in gmail on my iPhone. It should’ve been had it by now, even my yahoo mail app has it.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I've seen it, then it disappeared. Now it's back on my phone. But not my iPad.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
It's pathetic how they teased it weeks ago and still hasnt rolled out. This is Google with all the money they have and they cannot get dark mode rolled out right in ONE app (let alone the rest)?

I cant see why anyone would use the Gmail app unless you are totally embedded into only Google services. Hell they dont even let you attach a file from the Files app or any other cloud service but their own.

And Apple is the only alleged anti-competitive one :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Even though I know it's not really tied to an app update, seeing a Gmail app update today I was reminded to check out my settings...and unfortunately I still don't see an option for dark mode either.

Rollouts can certainly take some time, especially with a lager user base, but it's kind of disappointing how long one like this one is taking, especially given the original messaging from Google a few months ago that it would basically be a matter of a few weeks.

That said, it looks like they posted an update about it all a few weeks ago at https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2019/09/dark-theme-android-ios.html mentioning the following:

Update (November 22, 2019): We're excited to offer dark theme on iOS. To optimize the user experience, we're rolling it out slowly, and will post an update here when that rollout is complete.

Note that dark theme is already available on all Android 10 devices.

Soybomb

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
To optimize the user experience, we're rolling it out slowly, and will post an update here when that rollout is complete.

Note that dark theme is already available on all Android 10 devices.
Wonder why they didnt want to give android users this optimal experience.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I had the dark mode when it first came out. I restored my phone and now I don’t have it anymore. How is it seriously not out for all yet!

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.