Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Is this a problem or is it just happening to me? I think I remember hearing about this but I also thought I heard it was resolved. I'm up to date on all my software. Is there any fix other than switching browsers?

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I've had this happen for more than a year on my iPad. It's kind of disappointing I would rather have it waste the time refreshing the page than to go back to one from a month ago.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i definitely hope they make this a priority! it can be frustrating, especially for sites like this one, where you regularly click into articles or forum threads, and then go back to that index--only to find a list of threads/articles that is now days old.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I've never had this problem, so it's not system wide.

you're 1 person out of 3 (well make that 4 as i also see it) that doesn't see this issue, so that makes you in the minority at the moment. you are in no position to say isn't "system wide".

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
you're 1 person out of 3 (well make that 4 as i also see it) that doesn't see this issue, so that makes you in the minority at the moment. you are in no position to say isn't "system wide".

Glad you appreciate what I considered help. If it was system wide everyone would have the same problem. I sorry it's a problem for you.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Here is the same too.
In both iPhone 4s and iPad.
If you have one page for instance of a newspaper, it goes back to yesterday news...which are not news anymore...

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Glad you appreciate what I considered help. If it was system wide everyone would have the same problem. I sorry it's a problem for you.

now 5 against 1.
maybe you just either haven't noticed it or experienced it YET.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Make that 2, I've never had this issue on my iPhone, or iPad.

it doesn't seem to happen with every site.
but definitely happens more times than not with digitalspy.co.uk and macrumors too (but not as often as digitalspy).

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
40 million users and some consider it system wide if a dozen people have the problem. When you try to help they dismiss your comment.

the person who suggested it wasn't a system wide issue offered no help or assistance at all.

no-one has suggested it was a system wide problem, just that there does appear to be an issue for some.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
How are we to suggest a solution when we don't have the problem. My suggestion would be to contact Apple directly and not a forum.

I'm sorry, I thought this type of question was exactly what a forum was for. The OP has an issue, asked (very politely) if anyone else had the issue and he gets stomped?

I've run into the same thing on my ipad2. Not all sites but some. It's a little disconcerting. I'm sure it's one of those little bugs that is very hard to reproduce and therefore very hard to track down. Also I'm sure it's not high on the bug list (if Apple has even added it). Since Apple is so secretive about this stuff we'll never know and hopefully in one of the next updates it will magically be fixed.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Is this a problem or is it just happening to me? I think I remember hearing about this but I also thought I heard it was resolved. I'm up to date on all my software. Is there any fix other than switching browsers?

I've had this same issue for quite a while on my iPad, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S. I have noticed it on all recent iOS versions, and I always keep updated. It is kind of annoying, and does frequently trick me. I often am reading news sites and all of a sudden it is displaying a page that is hours, days, or a week old. I have just gotten in the habit of looking at the dates on pages and refreshing as needed.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Not all that hard to reproduce. Macrumors forums behave this way on my iPad as well. I can see a forum, click to read a thread, go "back" to the forum, and the page is hours old all of a sudden. It's a caching issue.

Although browsers are supposed to be smart and know that php, asp, aspx, cfm etc indicate pages that are often dynamically generated and should not be cached, it also helps if the webmaster puts specific caching instructions in the page. Macrumors forums seem to lack any specific "don't cache me" instructions for browsers.

The behavior seems unique to the new "tabbed" Safari in iOS5 - the old iOS 4.x Safari didn't behave this way. On a side note, Apple also cripped the "one tap for mouseover" as well, which was useful for sites that use hovers to expose drop-down js menus. Perhaps they'll fix both issues in 5.1

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. It's not a huge deal since it can be solved with a touch of the refresh button, but at times, it'll go back to a page a week or 2 old. Annoying, yes, but not something I need to call Apple or get angry about. If you remove safari from the multitasking bar, that can resolve it for a while.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Never had this issue on either my iPhone 4, but has happened from time to time on my iPad and 3GS. Closing all tabs, removing it from the multitasking bar, and then running an app called System Activity Monitor resolves the issue though.

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Count me as another one with same occasional 'yesterday's page' showing up after going back - on my iPad2

The local news I read every morning has a 'box' showing the days Top 10 most read and commented on stories
At least once per week that box contains info from a day or more in past
Never have found a way to get it to load current info without switching browsers
This happens on my MBP too on Safari

All up to date 10.6

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Never have found a way to get it to load current info without switching browsers

As I mentioned above, this problem happens to me regularly. Probably at
least once a day on average. I have always been able to hit the refresh button at the top to load the current page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.