Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Hello. For the last year I was using the iphone 13. I backed up the phone in icloud as well as on my mac. How do I get the information that was on my iphone 13 onto my iPhone 8+? Should I do a complete erase of the 8+ then setup as a new phone?

Thanks

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Will setting up as new keep my iPhone 13 settings and passwords? I belong to many different forums.
I think so. The 8 is obviously much older than the 13 tho so I don’t know exactly what would be lost but I assume it will go smoothly since they both support iOS 16. However iOS 17 drops support for the 8+, so you won’t be able to upgrade; do not upgrade your 13 to iOS 17 if you want to transfer it to the 8+.

If it were me I’d just back up my 8+ then try wiping it. If it has issues then I could just restore my backup and nothing is lost.

In fact you might be able to just transfer directly from your 13 when setting up the 8+ if the 13 is still working.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Ya I forgot some of those things you mentioned re. Apps etc hmm I backed up the 8 to the cloud as well as to the mac. Same with the Iphone13 . I then wiped the 8. Turned it on and now restoring from iphone 13 lol but I think your right…I am not sure how this will turn out.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Ya I forgot some of those things you mentioned re. Apps etc hmm I backed up the 8 to the cloud as well as to the mac. Same with the Iphone13 . I then wiped the 8. Turned it on and now restoring from iphone 13 lol but I think your right…I am not sure how this will turn out.
Let me know how it goes! This is a very interesting topic. What made you go back to the 8+, if you don’t mind me asking?

I really miss those white bezels…

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Let me know how it goes! This is a very interesting topic. What made you go back to the 8+, if you don’t mind me asking?

I really miss those white bezels…
I will let you know in the morning. :). I will leave it connected to the computer while it hopefully downloads all the apps etc from the 13 backup in the cloud.

I originally had the 8+, enjoyed the big screen. I updated a year ago to the 13. It drove me nuts :) mostly hardware related I think. The phone screen would constantly open to an app, photos etc. i did eventually turn all those things off in the settings. Face recognition drove me nut’s for the most part. I am a person that carries my phone in my hand everywhere I go. I move my phone around a lot when I am moving. Its never in my pockets. Maybe that’s unusual? Most people carry it in their shirt pocket? Pants pocket? So inevitably the phone was driving me bonkers. I am also getting a bit annoyed with Apple. Its been a long run and maybe its time to change the ecosystem lol

Thanks for your help btw.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Its been a long run and maybe its time to change the ecosystem lol
I've always been a die-hard Android & Windows fan, but just last month I made the full switch to Apple. It's never too late to give another ecosystem a try! You just gotta find what's for you! Plus it's kinda fun, switching over brought some excitement back into my life. :p I say find an Android and just try it! For fun if nothing else.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Enjoy going back to the 8 Plus, its a great phone i still got mine in pristine condition, just need to change the battery as its down to 85% ish. Side by side with my 13 mini, the difference in size makes me laugh honestly.
I love my mini. I don't feel like it should be called a "mini." I think every other phone should be called "huge." Every time I show the mini to people they say it's the perfect size for a phone... and yet they keep buying the huge phones 🤔

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
I would say that going back to the 8+ would be a huge mistake apple is cutting major software updates to that phone it will not be getting any iOS 17 support if I was you I would trade the 13 in on a 14+ instead you get a phone with huge screen and it will be getting the latest iOS updates for the near future!

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I love my mini. I don't feel like it should be called a "mini." I think every other phone should be called "huge." Every time I show the mini to people they say it's the perfect size for a phone... and yet they keep buying the huge phones 🤔
I agree with the Mini’s size. I had a 12 Mini and found it perfect. The only problem I have with the Mini line is that the battery life isn’t enough to last me a full day. I require the regular sized iPhone for the perfect amount of battery life to last me.

Oh well, I can’t have everything!

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Following up on my migration back to the 8+. I didn’t see any errors after I restored from the 13 icloud backup. Hmm but I think the 8+ has less screens to hold apps. Not sure where some of the apps went. No errors though. It may seem weird but I’m happier now with the 8 :) in the meantime I can scope out some deals for a new phone but there is no rush. I also like the keyboard and typing on the 8 much better!

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Following up on my migration back to the 8+. I didn’t see any errors after I restored from the 13 icloud backup. Hmm but I think the 8+ has less screens to hold apps. Not sure where some of the apps went. No errors though. It may seem weird but I’m happier now with the 8 :) in the meantime I can scope out some deals for a new phone but there is no rush. I also like the keyboard and typing on the 8 much better!
It’s great that you feel more comfortable using the 8+! I don’t think I could do it 😂! I do miss my older devices and my favourite was probably the iPhone 4

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
It’s great that you feel more comfortable using the 8+! I don’t think I could do it 😂! I do miss my older devices and my favourite was probably the iPhone 4
Ya it’s crazy I like this better than the 13 lol. Oh well. :) My friend who I am having lunch with tomorrow is gonna rip me lol he his a techy guy etc and Apple fanboy. I use to be in love but it seems each year it becomes less and less. And I look at other options.

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
As I mentioned on another thread...I am still using my iPhone 8 Plus that I got on launch day in 2017. It is the best phone I've ever owned. I simply prefer Touch ID and can understand your frustration with FaceID as it does not require an overt act to engage like Touch ID which is deliberate. I still marvel at the thinness, enormous display, and gorgeous form factor of the 8 Plus, which IMO reflects the true embodiment of iPhone design perfection. THIS is the iPhone we all drooled for and sad to say I am not really moved by the latest crop of bulky, heavy, squared faceID iPhones. Sometimes newer isn't better. Anyway...Welcome back!

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
As I mentioned on another thread...I am still using my iPhone 8 Plus that I got on launch day in 2017. It is the best phone I've ever owned. I simply prefer Touch ID and can understand your frustration with FaceID as it does not require an overt act to engage like Touch ID which is deliberate. I still marvel at the thinness, enormous display, and gorgeous form factor of the 8 Plus, which IMO reflects the true embodiment of iPhone design perfection. THIS is the iPhone we all drooled for and sad to say I am not really moved by the latest crop of bulky, heavy, squared faceID iPhones. Sometimes newer isn't better. Anyway...Welcome back!
Interesting because I feel the exact same way. The fit is amazing. I find typing is much better. And touchid drove me bonkers. :)

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I got a 13promax and used it for about an hour before realizing it was way too much phone to walk around with. Got my service on an old 6 and was happy to have an OS that isn't so schizophrenic. Upgrading to a 1st gen SE was a nice performance bump, but is as far as the headphone jack trail goes, so thats as far as i go. Maybe i’ll list all my excess Apple stuff in the MR classified section this weekend…

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
I personally think Apple went too far with phone sizes and especially with weight. That’s why so many people find iPhone 6 - 8 (Plus) and SE so comfortable. There is something about that light and thin form factor. Maybe regular 12, 13 and 14 are also OK in terms of weight, haven’t used them, but I think even those weight less than my annoyingly heavy and slippery XR.

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
I have gone to an Iphone 11 pro max for a work horse! nothing wrong with economizing in these new tough times!
I love the 11 Pro Max form factor, as its rounded edges are very similar to the 8 plus...just a little thicker to accommodate the FaceID camera sensor. I've even explored it as a potential upgrade given that iOS 17 is not offered for the 8 plus. May I ask where you purchased your 11 pro max?

Reactions: AlexJ092
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.