Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I love the 11 Pro Max form factor, as its rounded edges are very similar to the 8 plus...just a little thicker to accommodate the FaceID camera sensor. I've even explored it as a potential upgrade given that iOS 17 is not offered for the 8 plus. May I ask where you purchased your 11 pro max?
I miss the iPhone 11 Pro Max form factor! My favourite iPhone. I do like my iPhone 14 pro max but the square edges are not very comfortable when holding the phone. If you are in the UK I highly recommend giffgaff for used iPhones as I have used them previous and never had an issue 😄

Reactions: jimmy_uk and RRC

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I miss the iPhone 11 Pro Max form factor! My favourite iPhone. I do like my iPhone 14 pro max but the square edges are not very comfortable when holding the phone. If you are in the UK I highly recommend giffgaff for used iPhones as I have used them previous and never had an issue

Funny you should mention giffgaff and the iPhone 11 model, I’ve just ordered a like new iPhone 11 Pro in space grey from them as it would seem they may have acquired stock of either Apple reform units or brand new units from somewhere as someone I know bought one and when it arrived, it was literally brand new! Hadn’t even been registered. So fingers crossed I get the same luck…

I’ll agree that the 11 pro design was perfect size and in-hand feel wise to me, plus I’m a sucker for space grey!

UPDATE - The phone arrived today from Giffgaff and… it’s brand new! 100% battery health and not a mark on it, still had the original Apple box screen protector etc so guessing the rumours that these are either new old stock, or simply surplus replacement units is correct. Very happy customer

Last edited:

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Yes. Random stuff opened. Either the camera, photos, and the flashlight omg. Photos too. I ended up disabling faceid on many things.

Call me paranoid but I think that FaceID is awful biometric authentication in terms of security (though I find it’s quite alright for convenience, personally). Your comment got me thinking about how someone could easily e.g. handcuff me and hold me still while someone else puts my phone in my face and boom they have access to all of my money, passwords, accounts, etc.. This is maybe an extreme example but there's more sly ways to break in. Like holding someone's phone above their face while sleeping and then startling them awake. Before they know what happened, the phone is unlocked and you could run off.

It seems like closing your eyes if held captive can fix it but that's hardly a solution, how do you know when it's safe to open your eyes? If you open your eyes for a split second while the phone is in front of your face, it unlocks.

I guess an argument could be made that someone could force your finger onto the phone too, though.

Biometrics are convenient but feel easy to bypass.

Last edited:

shadyman

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Let me know how it goes! This is a very interesting topic. What made you go back to the 8+, if you don’t mind me asking?

I really miss those white bezels…
It should work since I have played the backup of my dad‘s 8+ to iPhone 13 Pro

Reactions: MakaniKai
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.