Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So I have an 8+ with iOS 12.3.2. I plugged in the Xs Max, and it updated to 12.3.1, and I did the 'Quick Setup', and get to the point where the restore from backup pops up, only I CAN'T RESTORE because the iOS versions 'aren't the latest', because apparently Apple will not allow restores just because of that 0.0.1 special update for the 8+.

I can't believe this!!!

I may have to go to iOS 13 to get a backup, and then a restore, otherwise Apple is telling me I will have to reinstall my apps app by app, and then try to get the app data transferred. I *thought* the App Store did that kinda automagically?

Arg...

ajbkid

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I work at a Sprint store and I have run into this a few times. I can’t believe Apple has not addressed this yet. Big oversight in my eyes.
I’d recommend using 12.4 beta, as it’s probably gonna be more stable than 13.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
You can restore your backup without going to a beta:

Using iTunes, you should be able to download 12.3.1 for the 8+ here:

https://ipsw.me/#version

Then, connect the 8+ to the computer running iTunes. Make a backup just in case.

Next, hold option on your keyboard, then click Update. You should get a dialog box which will allow you to specify the IPSW version. Select the 12.3.1 that you downloaded, and allow the 8+ to 'update'.

If that goes through successfully, you should be able to make another backup, this time of 12.3.1 (that can be restored to the Xs).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I work at a Sprint store and I have run into this a few times. I can’t believe Apple has not addressed this yet. Big oversight in my eyes.
I’d recommend using 12.4 beta, as it’s probably gonna be more stable than 13.

Thanks. Yeah, I was on the phone with Apple Support, and was just incredulous. It's a 'nothing update', and it's ONLY for the 8+, and Apple stupidly thinks it's a big hairy deal, and blocks people trying to do what I was doing? Stupid of stupid. So I have a phone I can't use because their stupid contract programmers can't progrem their way out of a cardboard box? Nice.

I read the knock list on the last beta release, and yikes. And who knows what will be broken when the next update delivers. So frustrated over this. So close... DENIED!

Thanks for the response.
[doublepost=1562707057][/doublepost]
You can restore your backup without going to a beta:

Using iTunes, you should be able to download 12.3.1 for the 8+ here:

https://ipsw.me/#version

Then, connect the 8+ to the computer running iTunes. Make a backup just in case.

Next, hold option on your keyboard, then click Update. You should get a dialog box which will allow you to specify the IPSW version. Select the 12.3.1 that you downloaded, and allow the 8+ to 'update'.

If that goes through successfully, you should be able to make another backup, this time of 12.3.1 (that can be restored to the Xs).

Too many 'should's and 'if's. It's just a junior programmer screwup and GRRRR.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Thanks. Yeah, I was on the phone with Apple Support, and was just incredulous. It's a 'nothing update', and it's ONLY for the 8+, and Apple stupidly thinks it's a big hairy deal, and blocks people trying to do what I was doing? Stupid of stupid. So I have a phone I can't use because their stupid contract programmers can't progrem their way out of a cardboard box? Nice.

I read the knock list on the last beta release, and yikes. And who knows what will be broken when the next update delivers. So frustrated over this. So close... DENIED!

Thanks for the response.

For clarity, I have posted this fix elsewhere and it has worked for others. I guarantee it will work for you.

Reactions: dk001

liftedpsd2010

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017

Thanks for the response.

So why isn’t 12.4 an option? It’s about as stable as you will get.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Click on enroll your device, and then you can install the 12.4 profile. its under step 2, below the iOS 13 stuff

Last edited:

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
setup new phone as new (I would setup without signing in to your icloud account). load beta profile. update to 12.4 by checking for updates. then, erase all content and settings on the new phone you just updated, then re run setup and restore from your icloud backup of youre old phone.

Last edited:

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
where do you make the change? I cannot see a way to do this.
you using windows or mac?
in windows i typed "backup" into search bar. found my itunes backup. inside it i located the "info" folder. then search the text for "version" . you will find 12.3.2, change it and save

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Here's the path on a Mac. Note Library may be hidden. My home folder and iPad serial are blanked out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.22.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.22.49 PM.png
    213.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.23.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.23.02 PM.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 246

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Here's the path on a Mac. Note Library may be hidden. My home folder and iPad serial are blanked out.
Cant believe we have to do this. You would think a trillion dollar company would have foreseen this problem! Oh well its good there is a workaround.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And this actually works? Interesting. I have a case open with Apple, and will mention this to them when they call. It can't be that simple.

When I mentioned the beta option, the facilitator was like 'Yeah, no. We'd rather have you go a different direction.' They DID mention that 'many people are experiencing this'. I don't doubt that at all. A programming oversight. It happens...

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
And this actually works? Interesting. I have a case open with Apple, and will mention this to them when they call. It can't be that simple.

When I mentioned the beta option, the facilitator was like 'Yeah, no. We'd rather have you go a different direction.' They DID mention that 'many people are experiencing this'. I don't doubt that at all. A programming oversight. It happens...
I would love to know what the official solution is, given that there are two options here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.